'I found this guess on a web, and I was shocked.'Here is it. Sofia is King Roland's bastard daughter*To put it simply, Sofia's mother, Miranda, had an affair with King Roland, producing Sofia, years ago when his wife was still alive, and waited for her (his queen) to die so he can make Miranda his queen. Seriously, Sofia looks more like him than the other two kids.
- Fanon truth perhaps, but somehow I doubt it would be revealed on the show.
- In terms of Fanon this kind of falls under one of those "logical answer but not stated in the show" scenarios. Yes, Sofia is much closer in appearance to the King than the others, and yes it makes sense that he wouldn't just scoop up a random peasant and put her in the line of royal succession (albeit nobody seemed to mind). But, of course, Disney isn't going to "go there"...or maybe they will, who knows. It wouldn't require them to throw around terms like "bastard" or make it seem so "adult"...though the idea that Sofia the First is akin to Disney's John Snow in the Princess Mythos is hilarious.
- Based on that, the whole "love at first sight" thing when the King summoned Miranda to the palace was something staged he and Miranda planned from the very beginning to avoid admitting the affair.
- Perhaps he resents James and Amber (albeit trying to hide it since he somewhat knows it's not their fault) for being fruit of a marriage he didn't wantand favors Sofia as a result.
- This would also explain why he gave Sofia her amulet, when you would think he would have already given such an important heirloom to Amber, his daughter he's known since birth, years ago. It's almost as if he knew he about Sofia for years...
- Although, given how little was required for Sofia to trigger the "curse" part of the amulet, Amber would probably bring the Ten Plagues of Egypt down on herself within a day or so if she wore it."
- The Curse of Princess Ivy" is enough proof of that. Amber goes as far as to actually steal the amulet in this special. As a result, Princess Ivy comes as punishment.
- A later episode showed why King Roland chose to give Sofia the amulet. In short, he was going to give her a different gift, but the amulet "chose" her.
- Roland and Miranda also had to wait for Birk Balthazar's death.
- This could also explain Baileywick's comment to King Roland in "The Buttercups" that Sofia specifically reminded him of Roland. Baileywick might not know/suspect anything (although he probably would since he seems to know everything), but it could be further evidence that Sofia has inherited more than just Roland's looks in having similar personality traits.
EDIT: Removed profanity - IaLL 11/15/15