"Rent Control" is the first segment of the fifty-second episode of Big City Greens.
When Gloria’s parents visit, she ropes the Greens into escalating lies about her success.
Following the events of the previous episode, Gloria now lives in the Greens' basement and continues to paint her emotions that reflect her new depressing conditions. Cricket and Tilly try to cheer her up to no avail. When Gloria accidentally drops her phone, Tilly sees that her parents are calling and answers it for her. Gloria is forced to speak with her parents who apparently have high expectations for her. Gloria makes the claim that she bought a house already after hearing that her cousin Emily bought one as well and her delighted parents announce that they will visit her (they can track her cell phone). Gloria is horrified at having to confront her parents with the truth, but Cricket and Tilly immediately decide to help her fake her wealth.
Mr. and Mrs. Sato arrive and Gloria claims that she has been selling her artwork through freelance. She is soon forced to lie about the Greens appearance; claiming that Cricket and Tilly are her adopted children, that Bill is her husband as well as her gardener and that Gramma Alice is the maid (who she says is crazy after she punches Mr. Sato in the face). Remy arrives in his limo and Gloria takes the opportunity to claim that it belongs to her and that she has two homes. They all head to Remy's house where Gloria attempts to claim that the wealth is hers, as well as tries to dive in a pool made of money, resulting in a painful reaction. Despite all this, Gloria's parents approve of her new living conditions.
As Mr. and Mrs. Sato leave, they tell Gloria that they are now happy to finally gloat about her success to their friends and relatives. This news disturbs Gloria who realizes that her parents were only concerned with bragging of her success rather than her actual well being and she comes clean; telling them that she faked everything and that she is broke and a failure. Mr. and Mrs. Sato realize that their attempt to push Gloria has only made her miserable and is the direct result of her current living status. They apologize for how they have treated her in the past and make up. Later the Satos have dinner with the Greens where Mrs. Sato tells Gloria for the first time that she is unconditionally proud of how she turned out.
- Chris Houghton as Cricket Green
- Marieve Herington as Tilly Green, Gloria's parrot
- Bob Joles as Bill Green
- Artemis Pebdani as Gramma Alice
- Zeno Robinson as Remy Remington
- Anna Akana as Gloria Sato
- Amy Hill as Mrs. Sato
- Keone Young as Mr. Sato
- Gloria's parents are introduced and her last name is revealed.
- Gloria attempts to swan dive into a pool of gold coins, only to injure herself. This is a reference to Scrooge McDuck's famous hobby of diving into gold coins in his money bin.
- A similar gag was done in the animated series Family Guy with Peter Griffin, though due to the adult nature of the show, the consequences for Peter were much more gruesome.
- Gloria realizes that Remy is rich for the first time.
- The theme song changes slightly to reflect Big Coffee is now vacant and Gloria now lives with the Greens.
- Gloria is still living with the Greens since she lost her apartment after "Chipocalypse Now".
- She also mentions the events of "Chipwrecked" and "Chipocalypse Now".
- The scene of Cricket and Tilly dancing around Gloria and singing while wearing banana suits and shaking maracas is reminiscent of "Peanut Butter Jelly Time".
- In this episode Amy Hill and Keone Young are voiced as Aunt Cathy and Luong Lao Shi from American Dragon: Jake Long.
- This episode features the hardest hidden Easter egg, only appearing onscreen for eight frames (three quarters of a second).
- The episode title is short for "Parent Control". Shane Houghton added the apostrophe before the "R" in the title deliberately to refer to Gloria's problem with her parents.
- Moral: You don't have to succeed to impress your parents; what matters is you're doing your best.