20th Television is the syndication arm of 20th Century Fox Television.
20th Television was formed in 1989 by Fox, Inc. (the News Corporation unit that oversaw 20th Century Fox at that time) in order to separate 20th Century Fox's television productions (which were previously handled by its 20th Century Fox Television division) from the movie studio in order to increase the latter's output. During this time, 20th Television and 20th Century Fox served as two of Fox's four main units, along with the Fox Broadcasting Company and Fox Television Stations. Following a 1994 restructuring of Fox's television production companies, 20th Television was refocused on syndication and "non-traditional programs"; its network television division was moved back to 20th Century Fox and retook the 20th Century Fox Television name. 20th Television distributes almost all programming from the television production unit and its subsidiaries and the motion picture studio's output (and their own subdivisions).
In 1992, Greg Meidel became president of 20th Television, serving until 1995. Meidel was president of MyNetworkTV when he add 20th Television's same position to his responsibility in 2009.
As part of the restructuring that stemmed from News Corporation spinning off its entertainment assets into 21st Century Fox, it was announced on July 8, 2013, that 20th Television will operate under the management of 20th Century Fox Television; it was previously under Fox Television Stations. As a result, the former company's president will now report to the latter's chairmen. After the acquisition of 21st Century Fox by The Walt Disney Company on March 20, 2019, president Greg Meidel was laid off.
On January 17, 2020, it was announced that the "Fox" name would be dropped from several of the Fox assets acquired by Disney. However, the renaming of 20th Century Fox Television, 20th Television, and Fox 21 Television Studios was not made clear.
- ↑ Horn, John (July 12, 1989). "20th Century Fox Restructures Film, Television Units", Associated Press. Retrieved on December 27, 2012.
- ↑ Harmetz, Aljean (1989-07-13). "A Revamping of Fox Film Puts Emphasis on Movies" (in en-US), The New York Times.
- ↑ "2 Named to Executive Posts in Fox TV Restructuring", Los Angeles Times (December 5, 1994). Retrieved on December 27, 2012.
- ↑ "Greg Meidel Joins Judge Judy Sheindlin's Company Queen Bee Productions" (in en), Deadline (May 30, 2019). Retrieved on June 7, 2019.
- ↑ "21st Century Fox Realigns TV Syndication, Distribution Biz Under 20th Century Fox TV". (July 8, 2013) Retrieved on January 21, 2018.
- ↑ "Fox Television President Greg Meidel Out As Disney-Fox Layoffs Continue" (in en), Deadline (March 21, 2019). Retrieved on June 7, 2019.
- ↑ Vary, Adam (January 17, 2020). "Disney Drops Fox Name, Will Rebrand as 20th Century Studios, Searchlight Pictures". Retrieved on January 23, 2020.