A Hidden Life is a 2019 US historical drama film written and directed by Terrence Malick. It is based on the true story of Franz Jägerstätter.
Franz Jägerstätter, who refused to fight for the Nazis in World War II. When the Austrian peasant farmer is faced with the threat of execution for treason, it is his unwavering faith and his love for his wife, Fani, and children that keeps his spirit alive.
- August Diehl as Franz Jägerstätter
- Valerie Pachner as Franziska Jägerstätter
- Michael Nyqvist as Bishop Joseph Fliesser
- Jürgen Prochnow as Major Schlegel
- Matthias Schoenaerts as Captain Herder
A Hidden Life was released on December 13, 2019 by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. Before its release in United States, it was premiered in competition at the 72nd Cannes Film Festival on May 19, 2019.
On Rotten Tomatoes, it gets 83% Tomatometer and 71% Audience Score.The site's critical consensus reads, "Ambitious and visually absorbing, A Hidden Life may prove inscrutable to non-devotees -- but for viewers on Malick's wavelength, it should only further confirm his genius."
On IMDB, the film gets average rating 7.7/10.0.
On Box Office Mojo, the film earned $1,730,597 in North America, and $2,882,191 in other territories.
In North America, the film released in total 151 theaters and earned $16,047 on its opening date and $50,383 in its opening weekend.
In other territories, the biggest market is France, which earned $400,676 at opening week and $1,459,620 in total.
In total, the film earned $4,612,788.
- The film was previously titled Radegund.
- This is Terrence Malick's second WWII period film after The Thin Red Line in 1998.
- At 2 hours and 53 minutes, A Hidden Life is Terrence Malick's longest film.
- A couple of days before the world premiere of A Hidden Life in Cannes Film Festival, there was a special screening for the daughters of Jägerstätters at their home. According to Valerie Pachner, the three sisters satisfiedly liked the film.
- A few scenes were set at the farmhouse of a Jägerstätter friend and neighbor, Eckinger.
- Due to Disney ended the "Fox" brand and the rebranding of 20th Century Fox Film Corporation, this become the last film produced under Fox Searchlight Pictures brand.