Amity is a bright and competitive young witch, who attends Hexside School of Magic and Demonics. She is proud of her status as the best student in school, and likes to rub it in everyone's faces. She enjoys looking down on other students who are not as successful as her, and does not take kindly to those who steal her spotlight. However, she does have a sensitive side whenever her flawless reputation is compromised.
Her reason for being the way she is, is because she wants to someday become a member of the Emperor's Coven, who only handpick the best of the best.
At the beginning she did not seem to be a nice person but that slowly changed as season 1 progressed, Amity has a sense of integrity, as she was shocked that her mentor Lilith made her cheat in her duel with Luz without Amity's knowledge, and seeing as how Luz's own mentor, Eda, cheated as well, Amity called off the forever-oath magic she cast on Luz so that Luz could continue her own training to become a witch. This indicates Amity truly wants to be a great witch, but one of her own merit and not resort to cheating or dishonesty. "Lost in Language" further reveals that Amity has a concealed softer side, which she keeps hidden so as not to demonstrate weakness and reads to children.
Deep down Amity is kind, selfless, and sensitive. In "Understanding Willow", she is extremely remorseful for how terrible she treated Willow and really wants to make amends with her. In "Enchanting Grom Fright", Amity has developed a crush on Luz and wanted to ask her to the Grom dance.
Amity has chin-length, brown hair that is dyed two tones mint green with the brown roots showing, and has a ponytail pulling the front hair out of her face. She has pale skin and golden eyes. Like most witches, she has pointy ears. When attending school, Amity wears a gray tunic with a dark gray belt, hoodie, and boots. As part of the Abomination track, the color of her sleeves and leggings are orchid. The rest of her attire includes wearing triangle-shaped black earrings and black nail polish.
When not attending school, Amity dresses in a black short-sleeved dress with orchid leggings and black point shoes with golden crescent moon buckles. Around her neck, she wears an orchid gemstone talisman.
Powers and abilities
- Magic: Despite being a witch-in-training, she appears to be highly skilled in magic. Like all witches, her connection comes from a sac of magic bile attached to her heart. She can cast the Spell Circle to cast spells.
- Abomination crafting/conjuring: Amity is a top student in Abominations class. She created and owns a slimy mindless creature known as an Abomination that obeys all her commands.
- Fireballs: Since "Adventures in the Elements", Amity has been learning to generate fireballs, which at the time required her to use a training wand, until she learned to cast the spell on her own.
- Barrier Cage: Amity can create a tall, circular cage that cause mild pain when touched.
- “She can be so stupid, which I love- I mean hate!”
- ―Amity accidentally admitting she loves how stupid Luz can be[src]
Amity considers Luz her rival of sorts. From the get go, Amity has suffered nothing but humiliation from her. Amity finds Luz's perky personality and human traits unacceptable and makes it known that she does not appreciate her appearance. However, starting with "Covention", Amity starts to treat Luz slightly better when she is outed as an "accidental" cheater and from that point tries to understand what Luz is all about. In "Lost in Language", Amity learns that she and Luz have some things in common and while she still does not consider her her friend, she does become more cordial to her. In "Adventures in the Elements", Amity has become much more tolerant of Luz and displays a more reserved personality when around her. While she still finds her slightly annoying, she has grown much more protective of her. In "The First Day", Amity congratulated Luz for getting into Hexside, but privately admitted that she is anxious around her. By "Enchanting Grom Fright", the two have practically become close friends to the point that Luz chose to replace her as Grom Queen even if it meant having to fight her worst fears, but Amity chooses to face them herself to save Luz. The episode also revealed that Amity has a crush on Luz, as she wanted to ask her to be her date for the Grom, but was too nervous to ask her directly. This is further supported in "Wing It Like Witches" where she tenses up and blushes whenever Luz gets near her.
- “Willow, you were never too weak to be my friend. I was too weak to be yours.”
- ―Amity apologizing to Willow[src]
Amity loves to pick on Willow for her inferior magic and loves to show her up. This of course blows back in her face during the events of "I Was a Teenage Abomination", when Willow and Luz show her up. In "Hooty's Moving Hassle", Willow reveals that she and Amity used to be close friends, but that when her magic began to supersede her own, she became distant and arrogant. It is revealed in "Understanding Willow", that Amity's parents forced her to break off her friendship with Willow because she was a weakling, and they threatened to ensure she never got into Hexide if she did not comply. Since then, their relationship has gotten slightly better, though they still do not consider themselves friends yet. In "Enchanting Grom Fright", she collectively referred to Willow and Gus as "...and co." when referring to Luz and her friends, showing that she has become much less hostile towards them. By "Wing It Like Witches", she appears to have become much friendlier to her.
Amity holds contempt for her older siblings. It is very much implied that Amity's overachieving attitude stems from her animosity to her siblings careless behavior. In "Adventures in the Elements", she does care about them and was concerned when the Slitherbeast kidnapped them. Furthermore, she trusts them enough to be taught magic by them.
- “I used to be like you, Boscha, obsessed with status, challenging my competition. But I grew up. When will you?”
- ―Amity telling Boscha to "grow up"[src]
Amity is sometimes seen being accompanied by Boscha in her own social circles. While their personal interactions are limited, save for a moment in "Hooty's Moving Hassle", they have similar personalities, but Boscha might be more sinister. However, Amity was only forced into being friends with Boscha because her family came from the same status as her. In "Wing It Like Witches", she tells Boscha to "grow up" when she saw that she was still picking on Willow. Then she sided against Boscha with her true friends.
Mr. and Mrs. Blight
Amity had a stormy relationship with her parents ever since she was little. They are mentally and emotionally abusive to her. They expect her to be a good girl and obey them for the sake of their social standing. One example is in "Understanding Willow" when a flashback showed that Amity's parents threaten Willow's chances at Hexside unless Amity breaks off her friendship with her. They also made her be friends with the bullying children of strong witches and warlocks they work with despite her objection. No doubt, they also expect her to excel in school and join the Emperor's Coven for the sake of their status rather than what's best for her. She's obviously under constant pressure by them.
- Amity has similar traits to Diana Cavendish from the anime series, Little Witch Academia. Both are top students in witchcraft, strongly admired by teachers and classmates alike, and often clash with the main protagonist. Like Diana, who is a fan of Shiny Chariot like Akko Kagari, Amity is a fan of Azura like Luz. However, while Diana views Akko as her friend, Amity has a crush on Luz.
- Amity's name is derived from the Latin word for "friendship".
- In "Enchanting Grom Fright", Amity is revealed to have a crush on Luz, marking her as Disney's first major animated character to be explicitly part of LGBT. Dana Terrace later confirmed that Amity is a lesbian, making her Disney's first openly lesbian major character.