In the beginning she did not seem to be a nice person, but that slowly changed as season 1 progressed, Amity has a sense of integrity, as she was shocked that her mentor Lilith made her cheat in her duel with Luz without Amity's knowledge, and seeing as how Luz's own mentor, Eda, cheated as well, Amity called off the forever-oath magic she cast on Luz so that Luz could continue her own training to become a witch. This indicates Amity truly wants to be a great witch, but one of her own merit and not resort to cheating or dishonesty. "Lost in Language" further reveals that Amity has a concealed softer side, which she keeps hidden so as not to demonstrate weakness and reads to children.
Deep down Amity is kind, selfless, and sensitive. In "Understanding Willow", she is extremely remorseful for how terrible she treated Willow and really wants to make amends with her. In "Enchanting Grom Fright", Amity has developed a crush on Luz and wanted to ask her to the Grom dance.
Amity has pale skin, golden eyes, pointy ears, and chin-length, brown hair that is dyed two tones mint green with the brown roots showing, and has a ponytail pulling the front hair out of her face. After "Through the Looking Glass Ruins", she changes her hair color to lilac and wears it down in a bob cut. When attending school, she wears a gray tunic with a dark gray belt, hoodie, and boots. As part of the Abomination track, the color of her sleeves and leggings are orchid. The rest of her attire includes wearing triangle-shaped black earrings and black nail polish.
When not attending school, Amity dresses in a black short-sleeved dress with orchid leggings and black point shoes with golden crescent moon buckles. Around her neck, she wore a magical orchid gemstone necklace, which her mother used to send her mental messages. In "Escaping Expulsion", Amity destroyed this necklace when she came to Luz's rescue and stood up to her mother.
Powers and abilities
- Magic: Despite being a witch-in-training, she appears to be highly skilled in magic. Like all witches, her connection comes from a sac of magic bile attached to her heart. She can cast the Spell Circle to cast spells. It is hinted in "Escaping Expulsion" that Amity is getting stronger in her magic when she tackles down one of her parent's Abomination inventions.
- Abomination Magic: Amity is a top student in Abominations magic. She can create and control slimy mindless creatures known as abominations.
- Fireballs: Since "Adventures in the Elements", Amity has been learning to generate fireballs, which at the time required her to use a training wand, until she learned to cast the spell on her own.
- Barrier Cage: Amity can create a tall, circular cage that cause mild pain when touched.
- Staff: At some point, Amity takes ownership of a cat palisman named Ghost.
Role in the series
Amity Blight grew up under a highly privileged family. Considered something of a black sheep, Amity struggled with acceptance from not just her elder siblings Emira and Edric, but also her own parents, Odalia and Alador, who had high aspirations for her. The only source of comfort for her was a fellow witch her age named Willow who, unlike her, was incapable of displaying the same level of magical prowess that she did. Despite this, Amity did everything she could to remain friends with her. This all changed when Odalia and Alador discovered her friendship with Willow and gave her an ultimatum; either cut ties with Willow, or have her barred from going to Hexside. Sad and confused, Amity told Willow that she was weak and did not want to be friends with her ever again. Her parents arranged for her to make new friends with similarly high classed students and Amity grew to be a bitter and snooty young witch, going so far as to dye her hair to match her siblings and continue to mock and belittle Willow's powers as a witch.
When Amity is introduced, she is at the top of her class and has transitioned into a vain witch who mocks Willow's inferior attempts at trying to perform Abomination magic. She shows no compassion or encouragement and goes so far as to show off to her classmates and teachers. This all changes when Willow suddenly shows up with an effective Abomination that seems to outclass her own. Amity becomes curious and quickly learns that Willow's Abomination is in actuality a human girl named Luz Noceda who wanted to see the inside of Hexside. She attempts to have her exposed, going so far as trying to have Luz killed, but she manages to escape and Amity is somewhat outed for being jealous of Willow. By her next appearance, Amity has grown to view Luz as not just an annoyance, but also a rival of sorts as her optimistic attitude despite her lack of magical ability clashes with Amity's more conservative and direct approach to magic.
While attending a covention, Luz attempts to make amends with Amity, but Amity has no interest and instead mocks King. This results in the two of them accepting a witches duel to determine Luz's future in magic. The duel ends in a draw when Amity discovers that her idol, Lilith Clawthorne, planned to cheat with her, humiliating her. Luz ends up comforting Amity who in turn allows Luz to continue learning magic. Amity slowly begins to lose her hatred towards Luz and instead starts becoming perplexed by her motives. While catching Luz, Emira and Edric looking through her diary, Amity comes to the conclusion that Luz is a bully, but following a night of danger and seeing that Luz genuinely cares for her well-being, changes her mind and realizes that she herself needs to change and they bond over their shared love of The Good Witch Azura.
Amity becomes nicer to Luz and starts drifting from her fake friends. However, she still feels guilty with Willow. After nearly erasing her memories, and entering her mind to fix them, Amity comes clean about why she acted the way she did with her; she was too weak to stand up for herself. With a heavy burden lifted off her shoulders, Amity and Willow make amends, though not as friends yet. Amity begins to notice that Luz is putting out more to help and stand up for her. When Grom (the Boiling Isles' version of prom) comes around, it quickly becomes apparent that Amity's feelings towards Luz have gone from confusion to intense infatuation. Amity realizes that she can no longer stand near Luz without becoming nervous or distressed. This does not stop her from helping her finally getting back at her former friend Boscha at Grudgby. The match results in Amity spraining her ankle and she remains bedridden for the time being. This unfortunately means that she does not visit the Emperor's Coven; her desired goal.
- The name Amity has its roots in Latin, meaning "friendship", which could represent her budding relationship with Luz, and Willow before her. Her surname, Blight, on the other hand, is a disease in plants caused by fungi, which most likely relates to the formerly troubled relationship between Amity and Willow.
- In "Enchanting Grom Fright", Amity is revealed to have a crush on Luz, marking her as Disney's first major animated character to be explicitly part of the LGBT. Dana Terrace later confirmed that Amity is a lesbian, making her Disney's first openly lesbian major character.
- Ironically, her voice actress Mae Whitman, came out as pansexual a year after the show's premiere.
- Amity's cat palisman, Ghost, is based on the real-life cat of Dana Terrace.