This article is about Anakin Skywalker. For the character's alternate form, see Darth Vader.
Anakin is the son of Shmi Skywalker, the secret husband of Padmé Amidala, the father of Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa, and the grandfather of Ben Solo. He is a legendary Force-user who served the Galactic Republic as a Jedi Knight, and later, after his fall to the dark side, he served the Galactic Empire as a Sith Lord named Darth Vader.
Anakin was born on the planet Tatooine to Shmi Skywalker, and according to her, he has no biological father. At some point, he and his mother were sold into slavery to Watto. Anakin was born Force-sensitive, but unlike other Force-users of his generation, he has a midi-chlorian count that is over twenty thousand. When the Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn crossed paths with young Anakin, he believed the boy to be the Chosen One of the Jedi prophecy after discovering his high midi-chlorian count. It is unknown if the prophecy refers to Anakin bringing balance to the light or the dark side of the Force, or both.
As a child, Anakin was idealistic and precocious for his age as a gifted mechanic. He possessed a very kind heart in addition to his intellect.
As an adult, Anakin developed into a more prideful, rebellious, and headstrong young man, but still possessing most of the aforementioned traits from his childhood. Although he is a good-hearted person, he is known to hold grudges and has trouble handling his emotions. As a result, there are times that he is impulsive, reckless, temperamental, aggressive and violent. He also hates being treated unjustly or being wrongly accused, besides have come to hate being criticized or lectured. Anakin distrusts individuals who try to criticize him and his actions, believing that these said individuals are trying to undermine him, put him in his place or cause him to doubt his own abilities. As both a Force-user and a lightsaber duelist, he also dislikes politics, as he correctly considered most politicians to be greedy and self-conceited. As Anakin's fame and Force powers grew, he became more prideful and overconfident, aware that he was the best Jedi in the entire order. Anakin secretly came to believe that he could easily best any Jedi blindfolded with one lightsaber tied behind his back.
Despite Anakin's pride as a Jedi, he also is shown to apologize and admit when he is wrong, as he is a honest individual who despises lying and deception from his friends, allies and enemies alike. Although Anakin can be cocky and unpredictable, he holds onto his better traits, such as his sense of justice, honor, good morals and compassion, which can be noticed especially during the Clone Wars. Like Anakin's then-apprentice Ahsoka Tano, he matured and became more responsible in many ways, but he sometimes can be impulsive and reckless, albeit to a far less extent.
As a general within the ranks of the Grand Army of the Republic, Anakin is renowned for his leadership skills and admired by clones, Jedi and politicians alike. Anakin is polite, humble, modest, respectful and well-mannered towards individuals who have earned his respect, such as Sheev Palpatine and Bail Organa. Despite this, he has little to no tolerance for those who disrespect him, such as Mace Windu and Wilhuff Tarkin.
Unlike Anakin's best friend and former mentor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, he never blindly follows rules and orders without question, always trying to do what is right, even if it means breaking rules or disobeying orders (similar to his master Qui-Gon Jinn).
As a Jedi, Anakin is highly intelligent and wise. However, unlike the other members of the Jedi High Council, Anakin recognized the flaws in the Jedi teachings and code when it came to the values all Jedi are supposed to embody. He often feels the need to speak out against the Jedi teachings and code, despite the consequences that comes with questioning the Jedi.
Unfortunately, Anakin carries guilt and remorse for his violent deeds, the secrets he is forced to kept and the loss of some of his loved ones, especially the loss of his mother, Shmi Skywalker. Anakin's fear of losing the ones he cares about and his desperation to find a way to stop them from dying, is ultimately one of the main reasons that led him to his fall to the dark side. Loyal to a fault, Anakin is willing to do anything to protect those he cares about, often resorting to using the power of the dark side of the Force in order to do so.
Because of Anakin's former status as a slave, he severely despises slavers and became very angry whenever the concept of slavery was brought up. He also could not return to his home planet Tatooine because of it being a painful reminder of him losing his mother, Shmi. The only reason why he returned to Tatooine was because he needed to get Rotta the Huttlet back to his father, Jabba the Hutt after rescuing Rotta from the separatists, in order to secure a peace treaty between the Hutts and the Galactic Republic. Anakin is determined to never talk about his past. When his friend and then-apprentice Ahsoka ask about his past, he replied with "I don't like to talk about my past".
Although Anakin is committed to the Jedi Order ever since he joined it, he is also conflicted about the order, wanting to walk away from it at several points before and during the Clone Wars. This was particularly because of his love and secret marriage to Padmé, whom he believes he can't live without. Another source of conflict is his dwindling trust and increasing resentment towards the members of the Jedi High Council, which he justifiably believes were afraid of him and did not trust him. These fears and resentments were further fomented by Palpatine and some of the Council's (and Obi-Wan's) questionable actions. When his friend and then-apprentice Ahsoka was accused of treason, he saw right away that she had actually been framed and was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, due to knowing her well enough to know that she would never commit the crimes she was being accused of.
After Ahsoka was expelled from the Jedi Order and turned over to the Republic, Anakin was the only Jedi who took an active role in clearing her name. He managed to track down the actual guilty party, Barriss Offee, and expose her after defeating her in a lightsaber duel. However, Ahsoka refused to rejoin the Jedi Order and left due to the fact that all members of the Jedi Council (excluding Obi-Wan) never believed in her innocence. After this incident, Anakin's trust and respect for the Jedi Council became severely shaken, as well as his faith in the Jedi Order as a whole.
Powers and Abilities
- The Force: Anakin has an amazingly strong connection to the Force. As the Chosen One, he is stronger than any Force-user in existence. According to Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin's Force powers are superior to even that of Yoda and Sheev Palpatine at their peaks. Anakin's Force powers were later rivaled by his son, Luke Skywalker, at his peak.
- Telekinesis: Anakin can telekinetically move objects or other individuals without physically touching them, and he utilized it for offensive or defensive purposes.
- Telekinesis: Anakin can telekinetically move objects or other individuals without physically touching them, and he utilized it for offensive or defensive purposes.
- Force Push: Anakin can telekinetically send his opponents flying through the air, causing serious injury or temporarily incapacitating/knocking them unconscious, depending on how much power is unleashed.
- Force Pull: Anakin can telekinetically pull his opponents or objects towards him.
- Force Choke: Anakin can telekinetically choke his opponents to either weaken, kill or intimidate them.
- Force Grip: Anakin can telekinetically lift his opponents off the ground and into the air, sometimes by the neck, to immobilize them.
- Force Crush: Anakin can telekinetically crush objects or droids.
- Force Throw: Anakin can telekinetically cause objects and other individuals to be hurled toward a target at an astounding velocity.
- Force Repel: Anakin can unleash a wave of pure Force energy that knocks back anything within the power's blast radius or pushes multiple opponents simultaneously. He unleashed such a telekinetic pulse when being electrocuted by multiple Magna-Guards that were fighting him alongside Dooku, repelling the droids surrounding him for a brief time.
- Force Barrier: Anakin can create a barrier or wall of Force energy in front of or surrounding himself or his allies, which can be strengthened with the help of other Force-users.
- Force Orb: Anakin can create a ball of air underwater, either directing it to his opponents as an attack or surrounding himself and others in an airtight bubble to allow them to breathe. He managed to do this with the help of Kit Fisto to keep Padmé Amidala from drowning on Mon Cala.
- Force Deflection: Anakin can telekinetically redirect incoming attacks such as blaster bolts, with or without his lightsaber.
- Mind Trick: Anakin can control the minds of other sentient beings, except for individuals with indomitable wills. However, he can combine this power with other other Force-users to bypass this said indomitable will.
- Taming Beasts: Anakin can control the minds of animals. However, he is not as proficient with this power as Obi-Wan Kenobi.
- Force Vision: Anakin can see visions of the past, present, and future. However, like all Force-users, his visions are not always clear or sometimes they happen without warning.
- Force Sense: Anakin can sense other sentient beings' emotions, the future, ripples in the Force caused by momentous or traumatic events, impending danger, and the presence of other light or dark side Force-users. By far, Anakin's most impressive feat of Force sense is the fact that he was able to sense that Palpatine had a connection to the Force (a feat that even Yoda, Mace Windu and Obi-Wan Kenobi who were exceptionally powerful Force-users in their own rights could not achieve) despite Sidious' power to hide his signature in the Force. However, he simply believed that Palpatine possessed the potential to use the Force, but was unaware that he was in fact a fully trained Force-user, particularly in the dark side of the Force. Anakin was completely unaware of this until the events of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, when Anakin was surprised by Palpatine who revealed himself as Sith Lord.
- Force Healing/Drain: On Mortis, with the help of the Daughter, Anakin was able to use a power variated from Force drain and Force healing, that allows to transfer the life-force energy from an individual to revive another individual from death. He was able to channel the life-force of the wounded Daughter into Ahsoka Tano to revive her after the Son drained her of life.
- Focused Rage: Anakin can channel his anger to amplify his strength, durability, endurance, speed, ferocity, aggression, and the potency of his combat prowess/attacks.
- Force Jump: Anakin can jump or leap at great distances.
- Force Dash: Anakin can move at amazing speeds.
- Force Spirit: Due to Anakin's immensely powerful connection to the Force and redemption, he was able to transcend physical death, and preserve his identity through the Force. This allowed him to become one with the Force when died from the injuries he received from Palpatine, when he sacrifices his life to save his son Luke Skywalker. Anakin likely learned this from Qui-Gon Jinn, Yoda or Obi-Wan Kenobi, the only known Jedi Masters who learned this power from the Force Priestesses.
- Advanced Strength: Anakin utilizes his Force powers to amplify his physical strength, making him physically stronger than most, if not all other sentient beings. His cybernetic arm also allows him additional strength to overpower other individuals with greater ease.
- Cybernetic Hand: Anakin utilizes his cybernetic hand in combat, as it gave him greater strength to easily subdue, restrain, and overpower his opponents.
- Advanced Durability: Due to Anakin's connection to the Force, he is far more durable than normal Force-users and other sentient beings. This allows him to survive many things, an example of this was earlier in the Clone Wars he was able to survive an explosion in a star cruiser (he was left unconscious afterwards) and despite being injured he was able to fight well to destroy many droids. He also demonstrated this when he was burnet on Mustafar, which he showed an anguish reaction when being burned alive on the ground.
- Advanced Agility: Due to Anakin's connection to the Force, he is far more agile than normal Force-users and other sentient beings. This allows him to perform amazing acrobatic feats, such as flips and spins, and it also amplifies his natural balance.
- Advanced Reflexes: Anakin's reflexes are much faster than normal Force-users and other sentient beings, as his reflexes are superior to most, if not all members of the Jedi Order. This ability also makes him an amazing pilot.
- Master Lightsaber Duelist: Anakin is a highly skilled lightsaber duelist, with skills being rivaled by his son Luke Skywalker. Anakin utilizes his Force powers to amplify his physical speed and agility to make his lightsaber combat skills more lethal in combat, making him a formidable opponent in single combat. According to Kanan Jarrus, Anakin is the best lightsaber duelist in the entire Jedi Order. According to Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin's lightsaber combat skills are superior to even that of Yoda and Sheev Palpatine's.
- Form I: Anakin is very skilled in Shii-Cho.
- Form IV: Anakin is highly skilled in Ataru. At some point during the Clone Wars, Anakin made some adjustments to Ataru in order to make it far more effective in defending against incoming projectiles or range attackers.
- Form V: Anakin is a master of Shien/Djem So. Anakin is also considered by some to be the most proficient practitioner of the style.
- Form VI: Anakin is highly skilled in Niman.
- Jar'Kai: Initially, Anakin only has some skills in Jar'Kai. However, as of "The Wrong Jedi", Anakin's skills in Jar'Kai have greatly improved to the point that he was able to defeat the recently turned Dark Jedi, Barriss Offee, relatively easily, becoming more proficient in the style.
- Sai cha: Anakin is highly skilled in Sai cha.
- Cho mai: Anakin is highly skilled in Cho mai.
- Cho sun: Anakin is highly skilled in Cho sun.
- Shiak: Anakin is highly skilled in Shiak.
- Mounted lightsaber combat: Anakin is highly skilled in Mounted lightsaber combat.
- Expert Hand-To-Hand Combatant: Although rarely seen, Anakin is a highly skilled hand-to-hand combatant.
- Expert Marksman: Although rarely seen, Anakin is highly skilled in the use of blaster pistols.
- Master Pilot: Anakin is highly skilled in piloting several speeders and all types of flying crafts. According to Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin is the best star-pilot in the history of the galaxy.
- Master Engineer: Even as a child, Anakin was amazingly skilled in engineering for someone of his age. At the age of nine, he was able to successfully build his own podracer and a protocol droid.
- Genius-Level Intellect/Master Tactician/Leader: Even as a child, Anakin is amazingly intelligent and wise for someone of his age. As a Jedi General, Anakin is a highly skilled tactician and a very capable leader. Throughout the Clone Wars, he gained an excellent reputation of never being defeated, he is also able to use his opponents own tactics against them.
- Intimidation: As an immensely powerful Force-user, Anakin commends an intimidating presence to the point where many of his allies and enemies alike across the galaxy feared him, even exceptionally powerful Force-users, turning Anakin in the most famous yet feared Jedi in the entire order.
- Multilingual: Anakin is capable of fluently speaking Basic, Huttese, and Bitt.
- Indomitable Will/High Pain Tolerance: Anakin was a very driven and determined individual, as well as virtually fearless in the face of death and danger. He had a considerable tolerance for pain, which was shown multiple times.
Weapons and Equipment
Anakin's valued weapon and possession is his blue-bladed lightsaber. He has only had two lightsabers. Anakin's first and second lightsabers are comprised of Solid Heavy-Duty and Black alloy.
- First Lightsaber: Anakin built his first blue-bladed lightsaber on Ilum. It would remain in his possession until it was destroyed on Geonosis in the Separatist Droid Factory while fighting Geonosian soldiers, during Anakin and Padmé's attempt to rescue Obi-Wan Kenobi. He briefly fought Dooku with two borrowed lightsabers until he was defeated by the Sith Lord.
- Second Lightsaber: Anakin built a slightly different blue-bladed lightsaber which he used throughout his Jedi career and the entirety of the Clone Wars. He used this weapon through Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, even after having fallen to the dark side and throughout the fall of the Galactic Republic. He lost this weapon to Obi-Wan when he was heavily mutilated on Mustafar, leading to his former master keeping it for nineteen years after. Luke Skywalker was given this weapon after meeting Obi-Wan and used it while part of the Rebel Alliance. Luke had no proper training and was forced to improvise his attacks with it. He lost it in his duel against Darth Vader, causing it to fall down Cloud City's airshafts. It then resurfaced and ended up in the hands of Maz Kanata. After the weapon called to Rey and she refused it, Maz gave it Finn, but later both him and Rey used it to fight Anakin's grandson, Ben Solo. It was later presented to Luke by Rey as a sign he was needed once again, only for Luke to reject it. Afterwards, Rey used it as her own. It was ultimately destroyed in a struggle between Rey and Ben over ownership of the lightsaber, but it was later repaired by Rey who used Force Healing on the broken kyber crystal. Rey continued to use the lightsaber as her own and almost burned it after discovering that she is Sheev Palpatine's granddaughter, only to be stopped by Luke's Force spirit who catches it. During the Battle of Exegol, Rey gives the lightsaber to Ben through their bond, so he can defeat the Knights of Ren. Shortly after, Rey uses the lightsaber, along with Leia's lightsaber, to finally kill the resurrected Palpatine by deflecting his Force lightning back at him. After Palpatine's death, Rey buried both lightsabers at the Lars homestead on Tatooine, retiring the weapons as well as honoring the Skywalker family where their legacy began.
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
In this film, Anakin Skywalker appears as a nine-year-old slave. He used to serve Gardulla the Hutt, but now he serves Watto, a Toydarian, after he gained Anakin and his mother through betting. He is raised on the planet Tatooine by his mother, Shmi Skywalker, who says Anakin had no father, implying miraculous birth. He is a gifted pilot and engineer as demonstrated by beating his Pod-Racing rival Sebulba and has the ability to "see things before they happen". He even creates his own protocol droid, C-3PO. Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn meets him after an emergency landing on Tatooine and becomes convinced the boy is the "Chosen One", foretold by a Jedi prophecy as the one who will bring balance to the Force. Anakin wins his freedom in a podrace, but is forced to part with his mother.
Qui-Gon takes Anakin to the Jedi Council, who forbid training on the grounds because the boy's future is clouded by the fear he exhibits. During the invasion of Naboo, Anakin is ordered to stay by Qui-Gon until he can find a hiding place. After hiding in a starship, he helps defeat the Trade Federation by accidentally destroying their command ship. After Qui-Gon is killed in a duel with Sith Lord Maul, his apprentice, the young Obi-Wan Kenobi, promises to train Anakin, a proposal the Jedi Council reluctantly accepts. During the film, Anakin forms a close bond with Padmé Amidala, Naboo's queen. Palpatine, newly elected as the Republic's Supreme Chancellor, befriends the boy, telling him that "we will watch your career with great interest".
Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
Set 10 years later, depicts Anakin as Obi-Wan's apprentice. Palpatine assigns Anakin and Obi-Wan to investigate an assassination attempt made on Padmé, who is now a senator following her term as Queen of Naboo expiring. Anakin and Obi-Wan locate the assassin, but before they can board a ship, Obi-Wan hurls himself out the window and onto a droid. Fortunately, Anakin "borrows" an airspeeder and he is able to rescue him. With that, the two are able to chase down the assassin, but fail to learn her identity when she is shot by her own employer with a toxic dart that poisons and kills her in seconds. Being assigned to protect Padme, Anakin travels with her to Naboo, where they fall in love. In the mix, Anakin has a vision of his mother in pain, and goes to Tatooine, where he learns that Shmi had been kidnapped by Tusken Raiders weeks ago. He goes to the Tusken camp, where he discovers his mother has been tortured beyond saving by the tribe; she dies in his arms. Heartbroken, Anakin flies into a violent rage and slaughters every single Tusken Raider; men, women, and even children.
He returns with his mother's body, and tearfully confesses his deed to Padmé, who comforts him and forgives him for acting upon his emotions. Soon after, Anakin and Padmé travel to Geonosis, hoping to rescue Obi-Wan from Jedi-turned-Sith Lord Count Dooku and his army of battle droids and Geonosians; instead, they end up in a droid factory and are captured and sentenced to death. Anakin and Padmé profess their love for each other before being transported into the arena. After fighting the Reek turned loose on him, Anakin and his friends are rescued by an army of clone troopers and Jedi. After fighting in a fierce battle, Anakin and Obi-Wan follow Dooku to a hangar and confront the Sith Lord, only to be electrocuted by Force Lightning. When he recovers, Anakin loses his right forearm in a lightsaber duel with him; it is later replaced with a prosthetic. Anakin and Padmé then marry in a secret ceremony.
Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
Three years later, Anakin is now a Jedi Knight and hero of the Clone Wars. He and Obi-Wan lead an attempt to rescue Palpatine, who has been captured by Count Dooku and Separatist commander General Grievous and taken to the Separatist flagship, Invisible Hand. During the rescue, Anakin defeats Dooku in a lightsaber duel and executes him in cold blood at Palpatine's urging. When he returns to Coruscant, he meets with Padmé, who tells him she is pregnant with his child. That night, he has a vision of Padmé dying in childbirth; he fears it will come true, as it is similar to the visions he had of his mother before her death.
Meanwhile, Palpatine names Anakin his personal representative on the Jedi Council. The Council, suspicious of Palpatine's near-dictatorial power in the Senate, denies Anakin the rank of Jedi Master, and orders him to spy on Palpatine, whom Anakin considers a friend and mentor. Confused and angered by the perceived snub and the instructions to commit what he believes to be treason, Anakin continues to lose faith in the Jedi Order.
Eventually, Obi-Wan engages General Grievous on the planet Utapau, and Anakin is sent to inspect the Chancellor's reaction. During their chat, Palpatine reveals to Anakin that he is Darth Sidious, the Sith mastermind behind the war, and that the dark side of the Force holds the power to save Padmé's life. Conflicted, Anakin reports Sidious' treachery to Jedi Master Mace Windu. Despite orders to remain behind, Anakin follows Mace to the Chancellor's office to ensure Sidious is captured alive. He walks in on the Jedi Master, ready to kill Sidious and intervenes on the Sith's behalf, severing Mace's lightsaber arm; Sidious then kills Master Windu with a blast of Force lightning. Desperate to save his wife and seeing nowhere else to go, Anakin pledges himself to the Sith Order as Sidious' apprentice, being renamed Darth Vader. At that point, Anakin Skywalker as Obi-Wan knew ceased to exist, being replaced by the Darth Vader persona.
Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
23 years later, Anakin finally resurfaces from within Darth Vader. As Luke is being tortured by Sidious' Force lightning, Vader watches the young Jedi screaming and pleading for his father's help. Ultimately, Vader cannot bear to let his son die. He hurls his own master over a pit's railing, killing the Sith Master. With this, Vader saved Luke's life, avenged Padmé, and redeemed himself. As result, Darth Vader persona is also destroyed once and for all.
However, the Emperor's Force lightning shorts out Anakin's life-support system, mortally wounding him. He dies in Luke's arms, after looking at his son "with his own eyes". His final request is for Luke to let Leia know of his redemption from the dark side. Luke gives his father a proper Jedi burial by burning his body and armor on a funeral pyre on the forest moon of Endor. Later, during the celebration on Endor, Anakin appears as a spirit along with Yoda and Obi-Wan. Anakin seems to be finally at peace, and as Luke sees his father, they smile to each other.
31 years later after Anakin's death, his voice, along with other Jedi of the past, can be heard when Rey is confronting the resurrected Emperor Palpatine on Exegol. Anakin tells Rey to bring back the balance as he did once, and then, along with the other Jedi, encourage her to rise and defeat Palpatine once-and-for all.
Anakin appeared as one of the main characters of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. In the series he was voiced by Matt Lanter, and took on an apprentice known as Ahsoka Tano, who eventually left the Jedi Order.
Anakin briefly appears in the second episode. After being informed by Reva that Anakin is still alive, Obi-Wan senses as he awakens inside his bacta tank.
In "Shroud of Darkness", Anakin is first seen as a holocron recording, teaching different lightsaber tactics. He later appears as a vision in the Jedi Temple on Lothal, chastising Ahsoka for leaving him. It is then that the image of Anakin becomes that of Darth Vader. Tormented and in tears, Ahsoka finally learns the fate of her former master.
In "Twilight of the Apprentice", Ahsoka sees Anakin's face beneath the mask of Darth Vader when she injures him during their duel and hears his voice. Ahsoka shows him compassion, firmly saying she will not leave him again. Anakin briefly falters, but then, embracing his inner darkness as Vader, he coldly tells her that she will die, causing their duel to resume as the Sith temple around them collapses and explodes.
Anakin appears in the animated miniseries, Star Wars: Forces of Destiny, with Matt Lanter reprising his role from The Clone Wars and Rebels.
Anakin Skywalker appears in Disney Infinity's third installment as a playable character. He is playable in the Toy Box and the Twilight of the Republic Play Set, where he helps Obi-Wan Kenobi, Ahsoka Tano, and Yoda to battle General Grievous and defeat Darth Maul. He can also be used in the other Star Wars play sets if his crossover coins in each play set are collected.
Anakin Skywalker is a playable character in Star Wars: Force Arena as a Legendary squad leader card.
- It's believed that Anakin Skywalker was named after Ken Annakin, the director of Disney's 1960 live-action movie, Swiss Family Robinson, one of George Lucas' favorite Disney films. Lucas' Publicist eventually denied this.
- Concept art in The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens book reveal that Anakin was planned to appear in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, as a Force spirit. However, the idea was scrapped, and the only references to Anakin was a mention. His voice however is heard in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wookieepedia: The Star Wars Wiki. The list of authors can be seen in the page revision history (view authors). As with Disney Wiki, the text of Wookieepedia is available under the CC-by-SA Free Documentation License.|