This article is about Anakin Skywalker. For the character's alternate form, see Darth Vader.
- “He was the best star pilot in the galaxy, and a cunning warrior.”
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi
Anakin Skywalker is the protagonist of the prequel trilogy of the Star Wars universe, and one of the protagonists of the 2008 computer-animated TV series Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
Anakin was a legendary Force-user who served the Galactic Republic as a Jedi Knight, and later served the Galactic Empire as a Sith Lord. He was the son of Shmi Skywalker, later in life he became the secret husband of Padmé Amidala, and the father of Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa. After his fall to the dark side, he became the Sith Lord Darth Vader.
Anakin was born on the planet Tatooine to Shmi Skywalker and he possibly had no father, at some point, he and his mother were sold into slavery to Watto. Anakin was born Force-sensitive, but unlike other Force-users of his generation, the latter had a midi-chlorian count that was over twenty thousand, when he crossed paths with the Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, who discovered how high his midi-chlorian was, the latter believed Anakin was the Chosen One of the Jedi prophecy. It is unknown if the prophecy was referring to Anakin bringing balance to the light or the dark side of the Force, or both.
As a child, Anakin was idealistic and precocious for his age as a gifted mechanic. He possessed a very kind heart in addition to his intellect.
As an adult, Anakin developed into a more prideful, rebellious, and headstrong young man, but he still possessed most of the aforementioned traits from his childhood, although he was a good-hearted person, he was known to hold grudges and had trouble handling his emotions, resulting in, at times where he was impulsive, reckless, temperamental, aggressive and violent, he also hated being treated unjustly or being wrongly accused, as well as the fact that he grew to hate being criticized or lectured; as Anakin distrusted individuals who try to criticize, lecture or correct him on his actions, believing that these said individuals were trying to undermine him, put him in his place or cause him to doubt his own abilities, as both Force-user and lightsaber duelist, he also disliked politics, as he (correctly) considered most politicians to be greedy and self-conceited. As Anakin's fame and Force powers grew, he became more prideful and overconfident, aware that he was the best Jedi in the entire order, Anakin (secretly) believed that he could easily best any Jedi blindfolded with one lightsaber tied behind his back.
Despite Anakin's pride as a Jedi, he was not above apologizing or admitting when he was wrong, as he was (genuinely) a honest individual who despised lying and deception, from his friends, allies and enemies alike. Although Anakin could be cocky and unpredictable, he held onto his better traits, such as his sense of justice, honor, good morals and compassion; especially during the Clone Wars, like Anakin's then-apprentice Ahsoka Tano, he matured and became more responsible in many ways, but he would sometimes remain impulsive and reckless; albeit to a far less extent.
As a general within the ranks of the Grand Army of the Republic, Anakin was renowned for his leadership skills and admired by clones, Jedi and politicians alike. Anakin was polite, humble, modest, respectful and well-mannered towards individuals who have (rightfully) earned his respect; such as Sheev Palpatine and Bail Organa respectively, however, despite this, he had little to no tolerance for those who disrespected him for no clear reason; such as Mace Windu and Wilhuff Tarkin respectively.
Unlike Anakin's best friend and former mentor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, he never (blindly) followed rules and orders without question; as he always tried to do what was right, even if it meant breaking rules or disobeying orders.
As a Jedi, Anakin was highly intelligent and wise, however, unlike the other members of the Jedi High Council, he was not arrogant, self-righteous and short-sighted; as Anakin recognized the flaws in the Jedi teachings and code when it came to the values all Jedi were supposed to embody. He often felt the need to speak out against the Jedi teachings and code, despite the consequences that came with questioning the Jedi.
Unfortunately, Anakin carried guilt and remorse for his violent deeds, the secrets he was forced to kept and the loss of some of his loved ones, especially the loss of his mother, Shmi Skywalker, Anakin's fear of losing the ones he cared about and his desperation to find a way to stop them from dying, was ultimately one of the main reasons that led him to his fall to the dark side. Loyal to a fault, Anakin was willing to do anything to protect those he cared about, often resorting to using the power of the dark side of the force in order to do so.
Because of Anakin's former status as a slave, he severely despises slavers and became very angry whenever the concept of slavery was brought up, he also could not return to his home planet Tatooine, as the planet was a painful reminder of him losing his mother, Shmi, the only reason why he returned to Tatooine was because he needed to get Rotta the Huttlet back to his father, Jabba the Hutt; after he had rescued the former from the separatists, in order to secure a peace treaty between the Hutts and the Galactic Republic. Anakin was determined to never talk about his past; when his friend and then-apprentice Ahsoka ask about his past, the only thing that he stated was that he "didn't like to talk about his past".
Although Anakin was committed to the Jedi Order ever since he joined the order, he was conflicted about it, wanting to walk away from the order at several points before and during the Clone Wars, particularly so because of his love and secret marriage to Padmé, whom he believed he couldn't live without. Another source of conflict was his dwindling trust and increasing resentment towards the members of the Jedi High Council, which he believed - not without justification - was afraid of him and did not trust him, these fears and resentments were further fomented by Palpatine and some of the council's (and Obi-Wan's) questionable actions. When his friend and then-apprentice Ahsoka was accused of treason, he saw right away that Ahsoka had actually been framed, and was just in the wrong place at the wrong time; due to knowing her well enough to know that she would never commit the crimes she was being accused of.
After Ahsoka was expelled from the Jedi Order and turned over to the Republic, Anakin was the only Jedi who took an active role in clearing her name; he managed to track down the actual guilty party, Barriss Offee, and expose her after defeating her in a lightsaber duel, however, Ahsoka refused to rejoin the Jedi Order and left due to the fact that all members of the Jedi Council (excluding Obi-Wan) never believed in her innocence. After this incident, Anakin's trust and respect for the Jedi Council were severely shaken, as well as his faith in the Jedi Order itself.
Powers and Abilities
- Power of the Force: Anakin was immensely powerful and had an amazingly strong connection to the Force. As the Chosen One, Anakin had the potential to become stronger than any Force-user that ever existed. Thus; Anakin was the most powerful in existence Jedi and overall the most powerful Force-user in the history of the galaxy; as his force powers were rivaled only by his son, Luke Skywalker, possibly by his daughter, Leia Organa, and possibly by his grandson, Ben Solo, at their peaks. As confirmed by Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin's force powers were superior to even that of Yoda and Sheev Palpatine's at their peaks.
- Telekinesis: Anakin utilized Telekinesis for combative and utilitarian purposes.
- Force Push: Anakin utilized Force Push to send his opponents flying through the air, causing them serious injury or temporarily incapacitating them/knocked them unconscious.
- Force Pull: Anakin utilized Force Pull to pull his opponents or objects towards him.
- Force Choke: Anakin utilized Force Choke to either weaken, kill or intimidate his opponents.
- Force Grip: Anakin utilized Force Grip to lift his opponents off the ground and into the air, sometimes by the neck, to immobilize them.
- Force Throw: Anakin utilized Force Throw to cause objects, and even individuals, to be hurled toward a target at an astounding velocity.
- Force Crush: Anakin utilized Force Crush to crush objects or droids.
- Force Wave: Anakin utilized Force Wave to unleash a wave of pure Force-energy that knocked back anything within the power's blast radius or push multiple opponents simultaneously. He unleashed such a telekinetic pulse when being electrocuted by multiple Magna-Guards that were fighting him alongside Dooku, repelling the droids surrounding him for a brief time.
- Force Barrier: Anakin utilized Force Barrier to create a barrier or wall of Force energy in front of or surrounding himself or his allies, which could be strengthened with the help of other Force-users.
- Force Orb: Anakin utilized Force Orb to creating a ball of air underwater; to either directing it his opponents as an attack or around an individual's head who cannot breathe underwater. He managed to do this with the help of Kit Fisto to keep Padmé Amidala from drowning on Mon Cala.
- Mind Trick: Anakin utilized Mind Trick to control the minds of other sentient beings; with the exception of individuals with stronger minds and wills.
- Taming Beasts: Anakin utilized Taming Beasts to control the minds of animals. However, he was not as proficient with the ability as Obi-Wan Kenobi.
- Force Vision: Anakin utilized Force Vision to have visions of the past, the present and the future. However, like all Force users, his visions were not always clear or sometimes had visions even when he was not utilizing this power at will.
- Force Sense: Anakin utilized Force Sense to sense another sentient being's emotions, the future, ripples in the Force caused by momentous or traumatic events, impending danger and the presence of the dark side. By far, Anakin's most impressive feat of force sense was the fact; that he was able to sense that Palpatine had a connection to the Force (a feat that even Yoda, Mace Windu and Obi-Wan Kenobi respectively who were exceptionally powerful Force-users in their own rights could not achieve) however, he simply believe that the latter possessed the potential to use the Force, but was unaware that he was in fact a fully trained Force-user, particularly a dark side Force-user; Anakin was completely unaware of this until the events of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, when Palpatine revealed that he had been trained to use the dark side of the Force; which only slightly surprised the former.
- Transfer Force: Anakin utilized Transfer Force to transfer life-force energy from an individual to revive another individual from death. He was able to channel the life-force of the wounded Daughter; into Ahsoka Tano to revive her after the Son drained her of life.
- Force Rage: Anakin utilized Force Rage to channel his anger to amplify his speed, strength, endurance and ferocity.
- Force Jump: Anakin utilized Force Jump to leap or jump at great distances.
- Force Dash: Anakin utilized Force Dash to move at amazing speeds.
- Force Spirit: Due to Anakin's immensely powerful connection to the Force and redemption, he was able to preserve his identity through the force, allowing him to become immortal when he died. He became a Force spirit upon dying from the injuries he received from Palpatine, where he sacrifices his life to save his son Luke Skywalker; Anakin likely learned this from Qui-Gon Jinn, Yoda or Obi-Wan Kenobi (moments before he died) the only known Jedi Masters who learned this ability from the Force Priestesses.
- Telekinesis: Anakin utilized Telekinesis for combative and utilitarian purposes.
- Immense Strength: Anakin utilized his Force powers to amplify his physical strength; this made him physically stronger then most other sentient beings. His cybernetic arm also allowed him additional strength to overpower others with greater ease.
- Cybernetic Arm: Anakin utilized his cybernetic hand in combat, as it gave him greater strength to easily subdue, restrain, and overpower his opponents.
- Immense Reflexes: Anakin had impressive reflexes that were above that of normal Force-users; as his reflexes were superior to most, if not all members of the Jedi Order.
- Master Lightsaber Duelist: Anakin was a highly skilled lightsaber duelist, as he the deadliest lightsaber duelist in the history of the galaxy; rivaled only by his son, Luke Skywalker. Anakin utilized his force powers to amplify his physical speed and agility to make his lightsaber skills more lethal in combat; this made him a formidable opponent in single combat. According to Kanan Jarrus and confirmed by Dooku, Anakin was the best lightsaber duelist in the entire Jedi Order. As confirmed by Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin's lightsaber combat skills were superior to even that of Yoda and Sheev Palpatine's.
- Form I: Anakin was very skilled in Shii-Cho.
- Form IV: Anakin was highly skilled in Ataru. At some point during the Clone Wars, Anakin made some adjustments to Ataru; to make it far more effective in defending against incoming projectiles or range attackers.
- Form V: Anakin was a master of Shien/Djem So; considered by some to be the most proficient practitioner of the style.
- Form VI: Anakin was highly skilled in Niman.
- Jar'Kai: Initially, Anakin only had some skills in Jar'Kai. However, by the time of his duel against Barriss Offee, Anakin's skills in Jar'Kai had greatly improved to the point where he could defeat the recently turned Dark Jedi relatively easily, thus; becoming more proficient in the style.
- Expert Hand-To-Hand Combatant: Although rarely seen; Anakin was a highly skilled hand-to-hand combatant.
- Expert Marksman: Although rarely seen; Anakin was highly skilled in the use of blaster pistols.
- Master Pilot: Anakin was highly skilled in piloting various speeders and all types of flying crafts. According to Obi-Wan Kenobi; Anakin was the best star-pilot in the history of the galaxy.
- Master Engineer: Even as a child, Anakin was amazingly skilled in engineering for someone of his age. At the age of nine, he was able to successfully build his own podracer and a protocol droid.
- Genius-Level Intellect/Master Tactician/Leader: Even as a child, Anakin was amazingly intelligent and wise for someone of his age; his intellect and wisdom rivaled that of even Yoda, Sheev Palpatine and Qui-Gon Jinn. As a Jedi General, Anakin was a highly skilled tactician and a very capable leader; throughout the Clone Wars, he had gained an excellent reputation of never being defeated, he could also use his opponents own tactics against them.
- Intimidation: As an immensely powerful Force-user, Anakin commended an intimidating presence to the point where many of his allies and enemies alike across the galaxy feared him, even exceptionally powerful Force-users; such as Yoda, Sheev Palpatine, Mace Windu, Ki-Adi-Mundi and Barriss Offee respectively were terrified of him; as Anakin was the most famous yet feared Jedi in the entire order.
- Multilingual: Anakin was capable of fluently speaking Basic, Huttese and Bitt.
Weapons and Equipment
Anakin's valued weapon and possession was his blue-bladed lightsaber. He had only had two lightsabers. Anakin's first and second lightsabers are comprised of Solid Heavy-Duty and Black alloy.
- First Lightsaber: Anakin built his first blue-bladed lightsaber on Ilum, it would remain in his possession until it was destroyed on Geonosis in the Separatist Droid Factory while fighting Geonosian soldiers; during Anakin and Padmé's attempt to rescue Obi-Wan Kenobi. He briefly fought Dooku with two borrowed lightsabers; until he was defeated by the Sith Lord.
- Second Lightsaber: Anakin built a slightly different blue-bladed lightsaber, and used it throughout his Jedi career and the entirety of the Clone Wars. He used this weapon through Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, even after having fallen to the dark side and throughout the fall of the Galactic Republic. He lost this weapon to Obi-Wan when he was heavily mutilated on Mustafar, leading to the latter keeping it for nineteen years after. Luke Skywalker was given this weapon after meeting Obi-Wan and used it while part of the Rebel Alliance. Luke had no proper training and was forced to improvise his attacks with it. He lost it in his duel against Darth Vader, causing it to fall down Cloud City's airshafts. It then resurfaced and ended up in the hands of Maz Kanata, Finn, and then Rey, where the two both fought Ben Solo with it. It was later presented to Luke by Rey as a sign he was needed once again, only for Luke to reject it. Afterwards, Rey used it as her own. It was ultimately destroyed in a struggle between Rey and Ben over ownership of the lightsaber, but it later repaired by Rey through the use of Force Healing. She continued to use the lightsaber as her own and almost burned it after discovering that she is Sheev Palpatine's granddaughter, only to be stopped by Luke's Force spirit who catches it. Rey uses the lightsaber, along with Leia's lightsaber to finally kill the resurrected Palpatine by deflecting his Force lightning back at him. After Palpatine's death, Rey buried both lightsabers at the Lars homestead on Tatooine; retiring the weapon, as well as honoring the Skywalker family where their legacy began.
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
In this film, Anakin Skywalker appears as a nine-year-old slave. He used to serve Gardulla the Hutt, but now he serves Watto, a Toydarian, after he gained Anakin and his mother through betting. He is raised on the planet Tatooine by his mother, Shmi Skywalker, who says Anakin had no father, implying miraculous birth. He is a gifted pilot and engineer as demonstrated by beating his Pod-Racing rival Sebulba and has the ability to "see things before they happen". He even creates his own protocol droid, C-3PO. Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn meets him after an emergency landing on Tatooine and becomes convinced the boy is the "Chosen One", foretold by a Jedi prophecy as the one who will bring balance to the Force. Anakin wins his freedom in a podrace, but is forced to part with his mother.
Qui-Gon takes Anakin to the Jedi Council, who forbid training on the grounds because the boy's future is clouded by the fear he exhibits. During the invasion of Naboo, Anakin is ordered to stay by Qui-Gon until he can find a hiding place. After hiding in a starship, he helps defeat the Trade Federation by accidentally destroying their command ship. After Qui-Gon is killed in a duel with Sith Lord Maul, his apprentice, the young Obi-Wan Kenobi, promises to train Anakin, a proposal the Jedi Council reluctantly accepts. During the film, Anakin forms a close bond with Padmé Amidala, Naboo's queen. Palpatine, newly elected as the Republic's Supreme Chancellor, befriends the boy, telling him that "we will watch your career with great interest".
Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
Set 10 years later, depicts Anakin as Obi-Wan's apprentice. Palpatine assigns Anakin and Obi-Wan to investigate an assassination attempt made on Padmé, who is now a senator following her term as Queen of Naboo expiring. Anakin and Obi-Wan locate the assassin, but before they can board a ship, Obi-Wan hurls himself out the window and onto a droid. Fortunately, Anakin "borrows" an airspeeder and he is able to rescue him. With that, the two are able to chase down the assassin, but fail to learn her identity when she is shot by her own employer with a toxic dart that poisons and kills her in seconds. Being assigned to protect Padme, Anakin travels with her to Naboo, where they fall in love. In the mix, Anakin has a vision of his mother in pain, and goes to Tatooine, where he learns that Shmi had been kidnapped by Tusken Raiders weeks ago. He goes to the Tusken camp, where he discovers his mother has been tortured beyond saving by the tribe; she dies in his arms. Heartbroken, Anakin flies into a violent rage and slaughters every single Tusken Raider; men, women, and even children.
He returns with his mother's body, and tearfully confesses his deed to Padmé, who comforts him and forgives him for acting upon his emotions. Soon after, Anakin and Padmé travel to Geonosis, hoping to rescue Obi-Wan from Jedi-turned-Sith Lord Count Dooku and his army of battle droids and Geonosians; instead, they end up in a droid factory and are captured and sentenced to death. Anakin and Padmé profess their love for each other before being transported into the arena. After fighting the Reek turned loose on him, Anakin and his friends are rescued by an army of clone troopers and Jedi. After fighting in a fierce battle, Anakin and Obi-Wan follow Dooku to a hangar and confront the Sith Lord, only to be electrocuted by Force Lightning. When he recovers, Anakin loses his right forearm in a lightsaber duel with him; it is later replaced with a prosthetic. Anakin and Padmé then marry in a secret ceremony.
Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
Three years later, Anakin is now a Jedi Knight and hero of the Clone Wars. He and Obi-Wan lead an attempt to rescue Palpatine, who has been captured by Count Dooku and Separatist commander General Grievous and taken to the Separatist flagship, Invisible Hand. During the rescue, Anakin defeats Dooku in a lightsaber duel and executes him in cold blood at Palpatine's urging. When he returns to Coruscant, he meets with Padmé, who tells him she is pregnant with his child. That night, he has a vision of Padmé dying in childbirth; he fears it will come true, as it is similar to the visions he had of his mother before her death.
Meanwhile, Palpatine names Anakin his personal representative on the Jedi Council. The Council, suspicious of Palpatine's near-dictatorial power in the Senate, denies Anakin the rank of Jedi Master, and orders him to spy on Palpatine, whom Anakin considers a friend and mentor. Confused and angered by the perceived snub and the instructions to commit what he believes to be treason, Anakin continues to lose faith in the Jedi Order.
Eventually, Obi-Wan engages General Grievous on the planet Utapau, and Anakin is sent to inspect the Chancellor's reaction. During their chat, Palpatine reveals to Anakin that he is Darth Sidious, the Sith mastermind behind the war, and that the dark side of the Force holds the power to save Padmé's life. Conflicted, Anakin reports Palpatine's treachery to Jedi Master Mace Windu. Despite orders to remain behind, Anakin follows Mace to the Chancellor's office to ensure Palpatine is captured alive. He walks in on the Jedi Master, ready to kill Palpatine and intervenes on the Sith's behalf, severing Mace's lightsaber arm; Palpatine then kills Master Windu with a blast of Force lightning. Desperate to save his wife and seeing nowhere else to go, Anakin pledges himself to the Sith Order as Palpatine's apprentice, being renamed Darth Vader. At that point, Anakin Skywalker as Obi-Wan knew ceased to exist, being replaced by the Darth Vader persona.
Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
23 years later, Anakin redeems himself by killing Palpatine, who was really the true traitor and enemy of the Galactic Republic that Mace Windu warned him about. Refusing to let his son die, he hurls his former master over a pit's railing, avenging Padmé, his past crimes, and himself, destroying the Sith Order and setting about the collapse of the Galactic Empire.
However, Palpatine's Force Lightning shorts out Anakin's life-support system, mortally wounding him. He dies in Luke's arms, after looking at his son "with his own eyes". His final request is for Luke to let Leia know of his redemption from the dark side. Luke gives his father a proper Jedi burial by burning his body and armor on a funeral pyre on the forest moon of Endor. Later, he appears to Luke, as a spirit, along with Yoda and Obi-Wan.
31 years later after Anakin's death, his Force spirit gives Rey encouragement, to defeat the resurrected Palpatine once-and-for all.
Anakin appeared as one of the main characters of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. In the series he was voiced by Matt Lanter, and took on an apprentice known as Ahsoka Tano, who eventually left the Jedi Order.
In "Shroud of Darkness", Anakin is first seen as a holocron recording, teaching different lightsaber tactics. He later appears as a vision in the Jedi Temple on Lothal, chastising Ahsoka for leaving him. It is then that the image of Anakin becomes that of Darth Vader. Tormented and in tears, Ahsoka finally learns the fate of her former master.
In "Twilight of the Apprentice", Ahsoka sees Anakin's face beneath the mask of Darth Vader when she injures him during their duel and hears his voice. Ahsoka shows him compassion, firmly saying she will not leave him again. Anakin briefly falters, but then, embracing his inner darkness as Vader, he coldly tells her that she will die, causing their duel to resume as the Sith temple around them collapses and explodes.
Anakin appears in the animated miniseries, Star Wars: Forces of Destiny, with Matt Lanter reprising his role from The Clone Wars and Rebels.
Anakin Skywalker appears in Disney INFINITY's third installment as a playable character. He is playable in the Toy Box and the Twilight of the Republic Play Set, where he helps Obi-Wan Kenobi, Ahsoka Tano, and Yoda to battle General Grievous and defeat Darth Maul. He can also be used in the other Star Wars play sets if his crossover coins in each play set are collected.
Anakin Skywalker is a playable character in Star Wars: Force Arena as a Legendary squad leader card.
- It's believed that Anakin Skywalker was named after Ken Annakin, the director of Disney's 1960 live-action movie, Swiss Family Robinson, one of George Lucas' favorite Disney films Lucas' Publicist Denied this.
- According to J.J. Abrams, Anakin was originally planned to appear in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, as a Force spirit. However, the idea was scrapped, and the only references to Anakin was a mention. His voice however is heard in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
- Prior to Anakin's death, he was the most powerful Force-user in the Star Wars universe; the only individual who is equal to Anakin's force powers, is his son, Luke Skywalker.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from the Wookieepedia. The list of authors can be seen in the page revision history (view authors).. As with Disney Wiki, the text of Wookieepedia is available under the CC-by-SA Free Documentation License.|