Anne Boonchuy is the protagonist of the 2019 Disney Channel animated series Amphibia. She is a 13-year-old Thai-American girl, who originally resided on Earth until a magical music box called the Calamity Box transported her to Amphibia, a world inhabited by anthropomorphic frogs, toads, newts, and other amphibians, large bugs, and other strange animals. In this world, Anne has many adventures and becomes friends with all the inhabitants of Wartwood. She represents the blue gem of heart on the Calamity Box.
Anne comes from a Thai-American family from Los Angeles, California. She was friends with two girls named Sasha and Marcy. As shown in "Marcy at the Gates" Anne and Marcy appear to have a good friendship as Anne would constantly protect Marcy from dangers, but in "Best Fronds" and later in "Reunion" revealed that her other friend Sasha was really taking advantage of her, as she claims that one must do anything a friend wants one to do to keep the friendship alive, whether one wants to do it or not. One day, on her 13th birthday her "friend" Sasha convinced her to ditch school, and later forced her to steal a mysterious box from a store. Once Anne opened it, she along with Sasha and Marcy were transported to Amphibia, a world with anthropomorphic frogs and dangerous creatures. For some time, Anne was forced to live in a cave, which was very unpleasant for her, especially at night (as giant creatures tried to eat her). Ever since Anne met Sprig she has gone on one crazy adventure after another and has found a true friend in the silly young frog.
- “Hoopa de boopa!”
- ―Anne, surprised
Anne is described as fearless and self-centered. She also has a rebellious side, as shown in the second segment of the first episode where she and Sprig defy Hop Pop's orders to stay put and instead go to the lake to swim.
Anne is shown to have a zany side; a good example are her interactions with Sprig and anyone else she is really close to. She is also very energetic witch has got her both in and out of trouble
Anne deeply values her friends, feeling lost if she doesn't have one, and is ready to do anything to protect both her friends and her friendships with them. However, this latter trait is a double-edged sword, as it causes her to save her friends in Amphibia even if she knows she may die while doing it; she was also manipulated by her "friends" on Earth to get what they wanted. Due to her relationship with Sprig, she has discovered what true friendship is and has continued to develop strong bonds with her new friends in Amphibia.
Anne started off as a slightly conceited girl who nevertheless embraced her ethnic roots. Anne is a pop-culture enthusiast with a love for young-adult movies and TV shows. Like most teenagers, Anne is obsessed with her phone, often watching shows and playing games on it.
In spite of her recklessness, Anne can often deliver good advice. This is seen in both "Grubhog Day", where she advises Sprig to tell Hop Pop that he doesn't want to take care of the grubhog, and "Cursed!", where she tells Sprig to just break his engagement with Maddie due to his fear of her.
Anne shows a strong dislike of pineapples (especially as a pizza topping) and will threaten anyone who mentions them.
- “I think the reason I don’t want a new look is because I’m finally happy with who I see in the mirror right now. So, whatever I put on, I just want to be able to see the same me looking back.”
- ―Anne finally comfortable about herself.[src]
During her time in Amphibia she has grown as a person. She has decided to respect teachers when before she disliked them, she has stopped caring what others think of her, she has learned the value of being a team player, and most importantly she has learned to stand up against what she knows is wrong, like Sasha's behavior. During her quest find a way home, she looks back at at her previous selfish behavior and past misdeeds and learns to take responsibility for her actions. Overall, Anne has slowly matured as the series progressed and her experiences with her surrogate frog family have turned her into a kindhearted and selfless person and loves helping others, even those who treated her badly.
- “You know, there was a time I'd pick out the bug bits, that time has passed.”
- ―Anne eating Crickets n' Cream ice cream[src]
At the beginning of the series, she was disgusted at the idea of eating bugs but as the series progressed, she has come to really enjoy eating them. When she first realizes this in "Toad Tax," she says "I've been here too long," but by "The Big Bugball Game" the fact that she now likes to eat bugs no longer bothers her as she says, "Eh, who am I kidding, I'll eat it."
At the end of the day, Anne Boonchuy is feisty, peppy and quirky yet sensitive and sweet with a love of adventure and a heart of a true hero.
Anne is a tall, slender girl of Thai descent. She has tan skin and short, messy brown hair which, before coming to Amphibia, looked relatively the same. It has leaves and a twig sticking out on top as a sign of her having lived there for so long.
Anne usually wears her school uniform which consists of a mauve skirt and undershirt and a light blue-gray shirt with her school's coat of arms on it. She wears socks, but only one yellow shoe, having lost the other one some time before meeting the Plantars; the other shoe is now in the possession of Captain Grime.
As of "Bessie & MicroAngelo" she begins wearing golden armor chest plate with a blue Frog symbol over her usual clothing.
In the upcoming season 3, her outfit outside of school is shown to be a pink and white shirt with a flame symbol and blue shorts. She has a yellow jacket around her waist. She wears violet shoes with socks.
Anne has been seen in many other outfits over the course of the series:
- In "Best Fronds", she wears a black tank top, violet swimming trunks and yellow sandals.
- First seen in "Flood, Sweat & Tears", Anne sleeps in a white shirt and black pants with violet stripes.
- In "Girl Time", she wears a long green and yellow dress.
- In "Lily Pad Thai", she wears a green traditional Thai outfit.
- In "Toad Tax", she wears a toad badge and a single bronze pauldron over her usual outfit.
- In "Hop Pop and Lock", she is seen wearing two different outfits: a pink, green and black hip pop outfit and then a sparkling blue dress.
- First seen in "Snow Day" she wearing an ocean blue hoodie, magenta snow beanie and green and yellow mittens.
- First seen in "Wally and Anne", she wore a black hoodie.
- In "The Big Bugball Game", she wears a violet and yellow tank top with the letter F on it and dark grey shorts.
- In "Anne of the Year", she wears a white tuxedo.
- In "Reunion", she wears armor and a signal green pauldron with a frog foot symbol over her usual outfit.
- In her fantasy in "Anne Hunter", she is wearing an all-black suit and eye black on her cheeks.
- In her flashback in "The First Temple" she wore a Peter Pan costume.
- In "The Second Temple", she wears a fur coat.
- In "The Dinner", she wears a purple traditional Thai outfit.
- In "Battle of the Bands" she wears a glittery rock outfit with face paint on her cheeks .
Powers & Abilities
- Power of the Blue Gem: Anne's eyes glow blue, as first seen in the pilot, hinting that the Calamity Box has given her a power. In "Handy Anne," her eyes glow more promptly and slightly longer. In the season 2 finale the grief caused by thinking her best friend Sprig had fallen to his doom allowed her draw on the power within the Calamity Box causing both her eyes & hair to glow blue, plant life growing out of her hair and her entire body is surrounded by a magical blue aura. In this state her strength and speed are greatly enhanced and she can release huge bursts of energy; She has yet to gain control over this amazing power.
- Bird communication (formerly): After being cursed by Barry and turned into a humanoid raven, Anne gained the ability to communicate with birds. She was able to squawk, albeit involuntary, and could understand what a raven who was with her said. She lost this ability when the curse on her was lifted. This was notably the only power she gained while under her curse.
- Culinary Skills: Anne is very a skilled cook thanks to years of helping her parents in their family restaurant.
- Athleticism: In her own words Anne has "natural athletic ability." This is proven several times in the series as she is shown to be very fast and agile and has been able to learn new sports in a very short amount of time. She was against team sports, but after learning the importance of teamwork she now really enjoys them.
- Dancing: Anne is a very skilled dancer and can teach others to dance, like Hop Pop in "Hop Pop and Lock".
- Swordsmanship: Thanks to Tritonio Espada's training she received in "Combat Camp," Anne can wield a sword in battle with great proficiency.
- Hunting: Anne was reluctant to use the Plantars' unorthodox hunting techniques at first, but she has used them to save her surrogate frog family from danger.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat: In "Ivy on the Run" Anne reveals that she has been training in the art of Muay Thai since a very young age.
- Bilingualism: Anne is shown to be able understand both English and Thai, as her mother once spoke to her in it, and she knew exactly what her mother was saying.
- Tennis Racket: Her tennis racket was transported to Amphibia with her and she has used it to defend herself and attack enemies with it on more than one occasion.
- Swords: Anne has been seen using a sword to fight throughout the series.
Role in the series
Anne was best friends with two girls named Sasha and Marcy. Sasha tended to push Anne around through peer pressure while Marcy was so clumsy that Anne had to look out for her. At some point, she and her friends started a band. At Sasha's behest, Anne abandoned her own birthday party set up by her family to go and steal a mysterious music box that Marcy discovered at a thrift store with her friends, although she and Sasha were unaware that Marcy was planning to run away because her dad got a new job out of state along with knowing something about the box. The box transported, Anne to the world of Amphibia where she spent the first couple of weeks fending for herself in the wild.
- “This world is messed up.”
- ―Anne, talking about Amphibia[src]
Upon meeting the native Amphibians, Anne was taken aback by their way of living. Only when she started living with the Plantars did she begin to open up and learn more about herself. It did not take long to form a bond with each the Planters; Sprig became a true friend to the human girl, Polly saw Anne as something of role model and Hop Pop gave her many important life lessons. Anne's bond with the Planter family became so strong that they consider each other family and the more adventures they went on the more that bond showed. Anne even discovered parts of herself that she was not aware of such as courage, integrity, humility, loyalty, persistence and compassion.
Her relationship with Sasha also begins to unravel as it becomes apparent that much of her decisions were more the result of being pressured and pushed around by her. Her perception of friendship is depicted in "Best Fronds" when she states, "If a friend likes a pencil case, you get it for them. If your friend likes your new shoes, you give them to her. And if your friend wants you to steal a crazy music box from a thrift store, even if you really don't want to, you do it, okay?" Through her constant interaction with Sprig, a somewhat simple-minded child, Anne is able to look at friendship in a whole new way. She begins to desire a more compassionate relationship with those close to her. In "Reunion", she finally sees through Sasha's manipulative tactics thanks to Sprig, who sees Anne for who she is: a kind and considerate person who is willing to protect her friends. After Anne defeats Sasha in a duel, Toad Tower starts to collapse, forcing Captain Grime to retreat with an unconscious Sasha. After getting back to Wartwood, the Plantars apologize that Anne lost Sasha as a friend, but Anne tells them it is okay because she considers them her family and that as long as they stay together, they'll get through anything.
- Hop Pop: "Well, let's get this fwagon on the road. No turning back now!"
- Anne: "Did we give the key to Chuck?"
- Hop Pop: "We're turning back now!"
- ―Anne and the Planters leaving for Newtopia
In Season 2, Anne and the Plantars set off on a journey to Newtopia to find Anne's way home; before leaving, Anne's eyes began glowing during a fight with a giant mutant vegetable monster. During their journey they come across an abandoned factory and escape before it collapses; but unbeknownst to them the factory created a frog-like robot just before its destruction; the robot then proceeds to follow Anne and the Plantars. Upon arriving at Newtopia Anne is reunited with Marcy, her other human friend. During a quest to drive away a colony of giant bloodthirsty Barbari-Ants, Anne still thinks Marcy needs protection but learns Marcy can take care of herself now (although Marcy is still a little clumsy). After a successful mission Anne tells Marcy about about her fight with Sasha and they both promise that not only will they work together to get back with Sasha, but find a proper way to get home. Anne and the Plantars meet King Andrias; while he appears to be a jovial and kindly ruler, he was actuality plotting something involving the human girls.
During one of their adventures in Newtopia, Anne and Sprig's bond becomes even stronger after learning about each other's moms. Anne misses her mom so much she would do anything to even hear her "tone deaf" singing; she even goes to great lengths to get a gift for her for when she eventually returns to earth and is reunited with her mother. Sprig reveals that his mother passed away when he and Polly were really young, and he doesn't even remember her; as Sprig wonders if you can miss someone without knowing them, Anne gives him a big hug as they both cry.
- Anne: "Hey was anyone gonna tell me I have leaves in my hair?"
- Sprig, Polly and Marcy: " Not now Anne!"
- Anne: "Oh, right sorry."
- ―Anne and her friends fighting the creatures
During their sleepover Anne, Sprig, Polly and Marcy venture down to the castle's basement which is strictly off limits, where they encounter some strange things: a flooded tomb full of strange creatures, two halls of mirrors, a chamber with plants that don't need sunlight to grow and a torn portrait of King Andrias with an unknown frog and toad. The next morning they learn from King Andrias that the music box that transported Anne, Sasha, and Marcy to Amphibia once belonged to his ancestors who used to travel to other worlds. To get the box working again, each of the box's gems need to be recharged at 3 different temples.
When they return to Wartwood Anne learns that Hop Pop lied to her about hiding the music box when it went missing, she was distraught but put her anger aside to work with Hop Pop in order save Sprig and Polly and retrieve the box. After she forgave Hop Pop he showed Anne an old book that has been the Planter Family for ages and from it she learned the music box was called the Calamity Box. Things were still awkward between Anne and Hop Pop but during their mission at the first temple they agreed to work things out together. With her friend now staying with her at the Planter Farm Anne tires to help Marcy get accepted by the amphibians of Wartwood; she was against Marcy go with Mayor Toadstool's plan to turn the town into a tourist attraction and had to help her save everyone when everything began to sink in the swamp. In the end the Wartwood citizens, while still mad did accept Marcy's apology it and let her know that they're slowly starting to like her. Anne then watches as an optimistic Marcy beginning to fix the town without going overboard. The Robot that had been following them and finally caught up and was given the name Frobo by Polly. The Planters and the human girls decide to take in the mysterious mechanical being.
During their journey to the second temple Anne encountered Valeriana who she previously met at the Bizarre Bazaar. Valeriana reveled that she was part of an ancient order that research the Calamity Box. She put Anne though a series of trials and Anne finally lived up to her pervious selfish actions. After seeing Anne truly learned form her past mistakes and takes responsibility; Valeriana declares that she passed the test. However Anne left before the gem was fully charged to go help Marcy and the Planters. Anne started wearing armor, but just the chest plate becuse she is finally comfortable about who she has become and still wants to see herself in the mirror. At the third and final temple Sasha appeared and saved Anne, the Planters and Marcy then apologized for her misdeeds. Anne was skeptical but allowed her to help with completing their quest. It was only when fighting a giant stone toad guardian in a chamber with intense gravity did Anne put faith in her. After Sasha defeated the guardian and the third stone was recharged Anne decided start things all over with Sasha. However, little did Anne know that Sasha was merely deceiving her to get into Newtopia as part of Grime's Invasion plan.
Anne, Marcy and the Plantars invite Sasha and Grime over for dinner to bury the hatchet. While things seem nice at first, everyone becomes awkward with one another when they bring up past conflicts. Unable to contain herself, Sasha lashes out at Anne and Marcy for trying to change her. A cake Grime brought turns into a deadly challenge that forces the girls to save everyone. After the battle is over Anne tells her maybe she doesn't want her to change as much she wants Sasha to see that she has changed. Sasha agrees that Anne is no longer the shy girl who she needed to protect back on earth and the two reconcile and then they join everybody in feasting on chocolate covered hornets. Wartwood has been on edge because Sasha and Grime have returned since the Toad Tower incident. So Mayor Toadstool has consulted the wheel of fun to come up with an activity to help relieve some tension and the result was a Battle of the Bands. Immediately, Anne, Marcy, and Sasha want to reunite their former garage band, Sasha and the Sharps. They had some disagreements but but eventually Sasha came around and put on an amazing performance. After the contest (Were Grime won thanks to his 3 hour harp solo) Anne suggests taking a group photo before she, Marcy, and Sasha leave for home, to which everyone in Wartwood joins in.
- Anne: "Come on you guys, we can do this! They may think we're just a weak little fog family, a clumsy nerd, a bug metal baby and a goofy push over , but they have no idea who their dealing with (Looks at the two newts) well except for you guys I'm sure they think very highly of you two."
- General Yunan: "They do."
- Lady Oliva: "Just continue your speech."
- Anne: "We've been through a lot together; cannibals, giant killer moths, combining vegetables, you name it, and we're going to beat this too, because when we're together nothing can stand in our way. Now who's ready to kick some toad butt!?
- ―Anne rallying the troops
The three human girls, the Plantars, Grime and Frobo all arrive at Newtopia with the music box. Sprig is sadden that the adventure is over, but Anne reminds them as long as they have the music box they can see each other any time they wanted. As they entered the throne room Andrias greets them and is delighted they were successful in their mission, but as just as Anne is about to hand the box over to Andrias, it is snatched away by Sasha and Grime who reveal their plan to take over Newtopia as they imprisoned the king and signaled the hidden toad soldiers. Anne is furious that she has been betrayed by Sasha again and refuses to join her. After Sasha fails to figure out how to use the box to send Anne back to earth she orders Anne, Marcy, The Planters, Frobo and Lady Olivia to be sent to the dungeon. While being escorted down the hall they are rescued by General Yunan and they regroup at Sal's old sandwich shop (That was featured in "Little Frogtown"). When Marcy informed them that the rest of the Toad army would reach the city in less than an hour the group fell into despair, but Anne motivates them to fight back and comes up with a plan. Hop Pop, Marcy and Olivia would break out Andrias of the dungeon while Polly, Yunan and Frobo engage in a frontal assault on the toads in the city. Meanwhile, Anne herself and Sprig would close the gate to prevent the toad army from entering. Just as they close the gate Sasha arrives to warn her about the dark secret she had learned about King Andrias but Anne ignored her and they began to fight. Anne manages to defeat Sasha by pulling her own cape over her face while Sprig defeats Grime by hitting him with Barrel's Warhammer.
- King Andrias: "She's still connected to the stone! But that's impossible. "
- Hop Pop: "What's going on?"
- Captain Grime: "I don't know maybe it's a human thing.
(Anne glows blue and Sasha looks at her awestruck)"
- Sasha: "This is not a human thing."
- Anne: "Give him back. Give...Him...BACK!!!"
- ―Anne awakens her power
When Anne gave Andrias the box he told everyone present about a time when he was betrayed by his friends, that the music box was stolen from him and no one remembers what Amphibia was like 1,000 years ago, but now that he got the box back he will use it's power to restore Newtopia to glory. Andrias then the revealed that his ancestors were not explorers like he previously said but instead they were "glorious" conquerors as he put the music box on a pedestal to power up his castle; enabling it to fly, then he reactivated ancient factories all over Amphibia that created a frog-bot army that arrived at the castle in mere seconds. Andrias then inform everyone to their horror that he was planning on following in his ancestors footsteps by traveling to other worlds and conquering them starting with earth. When Anne and Sasha told the king they would stop him, he decides a demonstration of his power was in order and used his castle's giant laser cannon to destroy a toad tower. Marcy spoke saying this was not part of the plan he told her only for the giant newt to admit he had been deceiving her all this time. When Anne and Sasha asked what they were talking about, Marcy said that Andrias promised to take them to other worlds so the could have more adventures forever; when Anne asked why the mad king informed everyone that Marcy got them stranded in Amphibia on purpose, leaving both Anne and Sasha in disbelief. Marcy admitted she knew about the power of the Calamity Box beforehand and explained that her father got a new job out of state and her family were moving; she wanted to use the box to take the 3 of them to a world to were they would always be to together. Anne is devastated by this revelation because she wonders how Marcy could do such a thing, because how much she missed her family and her life back on earth. Marcy then tried to justify her actions my reminding them of the fun adventure they had, how Anne and Sasha have grown as people in Amphibia and Anne's friendship with Sprig were all because of her, only for Anne to back away in distress, leaving Marcy on her knees crying and saying she just didn't want to be alone. Anne looks around and realizes that while she and her 2 human friends have made a lot of mistakes, what Andrias Leviathan was doing was evil and vows to stop him, rallying her friends together to face the king and his new mechanical army; Sasha decides to redeem herself but for real this time and Marcy pulls herself together as both join the fight, Hop Pop and Grime team up to destroy some of the bots, Yunan protects Oliva after both defected from Andrias, Sprig fends of some bots with his slingshot and Frobo is destroyed while protecting Polly. Just as Polly (Who just got her legs) gets the music box back, Andrias grabs Sprig and threatens to drop him from the castle. After the group complies with his demand Anne begs him to release Sprig, but Andrias drops him anyway. The grief caused by this act awakens the power of the blue gemstone within and she furiously fights Andrias while everyone is awestruck at her extraordinary power as she punches Leviathan so hard that she knocks his crown off his head, easily dodge all of her enemies' attacks, destroys the remaining frog-bots, breaks though Andrias' energy shield and knocking the wind out of the king. After Anne powers down, Sprig who was rescued by Marcy runs up to her and she is overjoyed he is alive as her surrogate frog family embrace. Realizing that she can't fully control her power, Andrias manages to pick himself up a decides he can't let Anne live, but Marcy manages to use the Calamity Box to open a portal to earth while Sasha and Grime keeps the king busy. Anne and the Plantars jump through, along with Frobo's head, but when Anne beckons Marcy to come through, Andrias stabs her through the chest with his laser sword. Marcy apologizes for her actions just before collapsing from her injuries and the portal closes. When they come to the Planters ask where they are and Anne solemnly tells them that she is finally home.
During a sneak peek of Season 3 Anne and the Planters walk though the human girl's neighborhood as the frogs ask what their next move is. Anne afrims her belief that Marcy is alive and vows to find away back to Amphibia to help her and Sasha. They arrive at Anne's house as she dumbfounded that she is about to see her parents again after all this time. She tells the Planters to hide until she gives the signal and decides it not tell her parents yet about King Andrias, how she was betrayed by both Sasha & Marcy and especially keep quiet about her "Blue Powers". Anne Knocks on the door as her mother opens it and as the two see each other Anne's mother tearfully embraces her daughter. Just then Anne's father sees them and joins in the hug. As Anne share an emotional reunion with both of her parents and her cat Domino, Hop Pop mistook a bird squawk for Anne's signal and reveals himself ,Polly reprimands him for it and Sprig introduces himself. As Anne's parents are left in shock at the sight of the 3 talking frogs Anne slaps her forehead.
- Anne is shown to be highly addicted to her phone, with Polly noting she never goes anywhere without her phone in "A Night at the Inn". She is more grateful to Wally for saving her phone than her life in "Wally and Anne". A brief comment of hers in "Taking Charge" suggests this addiction is due to her phone being the only link to her life back home.
- On a related note, it is strongly implied that Anne is very responsible with the use of her phone, since she spent days in Amphibia with her phone still at full charge until Hop Pop drained it all in the episode "Taking Charge".
- She attends Saint James Middle School, which seems to be a parochial school. Concept art for the character showed her wearing a Catholic school-style vest. Because of this, it is possible that Anne is of Catholic faith, or at least follows Catholic customs.
- It is strongly implied in "Family Fishing Trip" that Anne likes to eat crab, as she says that the giant crab monster both scares her and makes her hungry. She later asks if anyone would like to go and kill the crab monsters, arguing that "that thing probably had a ton of meat."
- Strangely enough, despite showing that she can get clean and has worn clean clothing and combed or slicked her hair on more than one occasion, her hair always seems to revert back to having leaves and sticks in it as if she has been dragged through the woods. According to Matt Braly, this is done on purpose in order to reflect the fact that "[Anne] is out of her depth and a bit disoriented [in Amphibia]". Anne finally noticed this in the episode "The Sleepover to End All Sleepovers".
- In the Amphibiland pilot short, Anne is depicted with both of her shoes intact.
- Anne was originally envisioned as being boring on earth before being reinvented by the crew. Her personality was loosely based on Pacifica Northwest from Gravity Falls and Matt Braly's grandmother when she was a younger.
- Matt Braly revealed on an AMA that Anne's design was slightly influenced by Pepper Ann, as Braly was a fan of the series.
- Anne's last name "Boonchuy" roughly translates to "one who encourages or performs good deeds." This fits her character as she attempts to help the people of Amphibia.
- Anne has shown a number of interesting talents over the course of the series such as cooking, dancing, dunking, and sewing. It is implied that she learned some of these skills either through her family or her friends.
- Some of Anne's quips such as her saying "Obvi", which is short for "Obviously", most likely came from Sasha, showing the influence that she has had on her.
- In "Reunion", it is revealed that Anne used to hate frogs to the point that Sasha would make fun of her for it and try to gross her out.
- According to Matt Braly, Anne reads manga, "[probably saw] anime", and watched The Lord of the Rings. This is further supported in the episode "Trip to the Archives", where Anne shouts "Zoobooks and manga, here I come!".
- As seen in "Quarreler's Pass," Anne apparently does not like to talk about her potential romantic life at home.