Presumably sometime after gaining control of the Roar of the Elders, Askari was appointed the leader of the first Lion Guard, and assembled a team of lions, who are comprised of the fastest, bravest, strongest, and keenest of sight in the entire Pride Lands.
Eventually, Askari would meet and make peace with the elephants, which would lead to an everlasting kinship between the elephants and lions. This event would later be known as the Ukumbusho Tradition, and would be annually celebrated so long as the current Lion Guard could participate.
Askari was a brave, noble lion who believed in peace between animals that were capable of such feats. He also believed in defending and helping the Circle of Life, even outside of the Pride Lands, since the Tree of Life could use the roar's help.
Askari had been known for his wisdom, kind humor, and good deeds, he was also sometimes very strict with rules and laws, Askari was also dignified and regal in bearing. He had acquired much experience and wisdom from his time as the leader of the Lion Guard and serves as a mentor to Kion.
From the painting Askari has a golden brown fur pelt, his face has a white muzzle and dark orange nose. A light golden underbelly with a big red mane with darker red edges and yellow stripe markings.
Powers and abilities
- Roar of the Elders: Askari possesses the Roar of the Elders, when he uses the Roar of the Elders, spirits of multiple deceased lions roar along with him, instilling real power in the Roar. With this roar, he has flattened plains, held floods back and torn down rock-slides.
- Super Sonic Roar: Askari can use the Roar to send his enemies several feet away.
- Mark of the Guard: Whoever Askari chooses someone to become part of his team, he marks them with a lion head, symbolizing their positions as members of the Lion Guard, when Askari inherited the Roar of the Elders - a lion head automatically appeared on his own left shoulder.
- Producing Rain Clouds: Askari can use the Roar on a cloud to produce rain clouds.
- Precision: Askari can use the Roar to hit precise target(s). However, it only works if his target(s) are in front of him.
- Spiritual Summoning: Askari can use the Roar to summon spirits from the afterlife.
- Atmokinesis: Askari can use the Roar to create a whirlwind to lift objects from the ground.
- Electrogenesis: Askari can use the Roar to summon a bolt of lightning.
- High-Level Intellect/Expert Tactician/Leader: Askari was highly intelligent, as the leader of the first Lion Guard; he was an excellent tactician and leader.
- Expert Combatant: As the leader of the first Lion Guard; Askari was an excellent combatant.
Role in the series
Kion portrays Askari in the Ukumbusho Tradition. He describes how Askari had made peace with the elephants in order to keep the Circle of Life in balance.
Askari is mentioned and appears in a painting. Makini explains that he and his Lion Guard had used teamwork to overcome a group of evil lions who were threatening the Pride Lands.
When Kion is ready to give back his roar he goes to talk to Askari. Askari says that Kion is ready to learn all that the Roar can do.
Askari teaches Kion all about the different powers of Roar of the Elders.
Askari speaks to Kion with all of the members of his Guard and other Pride Landers watching. Kion asks if he's no longer leader of the Lion Guard why would he need the Roar. Askari says that there is one place that needs the Roar. Kion and the rest of the members of his guard go to the Tree of Life and join the Night Pride. His spirit appears again at Kion's coronation as King of the Tree of Life.
- Askari means "police", "guard", "solder" in Swahili.