The Barker Bird is a character from the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction.
The Barker Bird was an intelligent green parrot capable of speech. It appeared to have an affiliation with piracy, spending time in the ruins of the Castillo del Morro fortress of the Caribbean Plaza on Isla Tesoro, following the fort's raid at the hands of The Wicked Wench. It could often be heard quoting crew-mates of the Wench and singing a parody of, "Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Parrot's Life for Me" called, "Yo Ho, A Parrot's Life For Me".
This bird was a green macaw which at some point in its right-leg and quite possibly its left eyeball. It would also have part of its chest removed of its feathers and have a nautical tattoo of an anchor put on it. The bird wore an eyepatch and peg-leg for its disabilities and also could be seen sporting a red bandana and a high cocked hat with a Jolly Roger embroidered upon it.
The Barker Bird was created for Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom in the vain of Juan the Barker Bird, a character made for the Enchanted Tiki Room to attract guests' attention like the barkers of carnivals. Aiming to do the same with Pirates of the Caribbean, the Barker Bird was created by imagineers Marc Davis and X. Atencio. The bird would also be voiced by fellow imagineer Gary Goddard.
In 2006, the Barker Bird was removed from Pirates of the Caribbean during the refurbishment which incorporated in elements from the popular films of the same name. In Disneyland, the Barker Bird's animatronic was replaced with one depicting Cotton's Parrot from the films. Following this it would be moved to Disney Springs in Downtown Disney however it would be left in worse repair with its materials fading from poor maintenance.
The Barker Bird appeared on the sandbar in the interior queue for Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean.
The Barker Bird used to appear outside of the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction on a perch visible to passers by in Adventureland. It would move around, sing and quote the ride, garnering attention for the attraction in the bustling park. It would also invite guests to enter the attraction, telling them, "Heave to, maties! There be longboats waiting down by Pirate's Cove! Waitin' to take you to the Spanish Main! Right this way! Through the arches and down past the dungeon, in the old fortress".
World of Disney (Downtown Disney)
Perched on a treasure-chest alongside a lantern and part of a ship's mast. It appeared in a Pirates of the Caribbean themed area of the shop.
- Despite being long since removed from the attraction, the Barker Bird is still prolifically featured in Pirates of the Caribbean themed merchandise and paraphernalia.
- Merchandise and artwork often has the Barker Bird sitting atop a treasure-chest. This is taken from a separate ride which appeared in the original Disneyland version of the ride which was found perched on a chest in the sand-bar scene within the queue of the ride.
- This parrot lacked the Barker Bird's peg-leg, tattoo and eyepatch and also had much more yellow plumage. It was also found in the, "Modern day" portion of the ride meaning that it could not be the Barker Bird before its body augmentations.
- The bird resembles the parrot belonging to the Dirty Feet pirate in the ride. The two likely shared a basic animatronic with one another.
- Some have put forth the theory that they are the same bird with Dirty Feet's parrot being the Barker Bird before they lost their leg and eyeball.
- While being removed in the refurbishment that added Jack Sparrow, Jack would be given his own parrot accomplice in the ride. This new parrot would be a blue-and-yellow macaw rather than a green one.
- In the TV show House of Mouse, a similar parrot-themed parody of Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life for Me to that of the Barker Bird was sung by Iago.