While his younger brother Ian is small, quiet, and awkward, Barley is large, loud, and excitable. Unlike Ian, he has memories of their father, and describes who he was and how he acted. He fully believes Ian can bring their father back to life and summon magic back to their world.
Although Barley is always optimistic and unafraid to press on, he has his own issues and regrets, as his last memory of his father was being too afraid to see him when he was sick and Barley was supposed to say goodbye. As a result of not being there for his father's final moments, Barley swore he'd never be afraid again.
Despite being a little teasing, Barley never loses faith in his brother, Ian and encourages him to rise above his (Ian's) own self-doubts and is always there for him; something Ian didn't fully realize until he recollected the journey they'd taken together fulfilled his check-list he'd originally made to spend time with their father.
Barley loves fantasy, and quests despite the world moving on from that time and will fight to the death to protect artifacts from the time of magic causing him to be a bit of an outcast among fellow peers, and unfairly called a " screw up " (which upsets him) by the police and one time by Ian.
Barley is a 19-year-old elf with a large and stocky build. He has blue skin and beard stubble. He wears a black beanie and T-Shirt with a 'Q' on it, covered by a large blue vest with numerous patches and pins sewn on it, green army shorts, and large black and white sneakers.
Barley bears a resemblance to his mother, Laurel Lightfoot.
- This is Chris Pratt's first animated role in a Pixar film having previously made his animation debut as Emmet/Rex Dangervest in Warner Animation Group's The LEGO Movie and its sequel.
- Before his father’s death, Barley used to play drums on his feet.
- Barley has four memories of his father.
- His beard was scratchy.
- He had a goofy laugh.
- He used to play drums on his dad's feet.
- And when Barley was to go in the hospital room to say good-bye to his dad, he got scared by the sight of how bad his dad looked and wouldn't go in. Barley regretted that moment.
- He shares similarities between the 2003/2009 Fullmetal Alchemist character: Edward Elric.
- Both are older siblings.
- Both protective of their younger brothers.
- Both are abrasive and excitable.
- Barley's last memory of being too afraid to say goodbye to his father is similar to his voice actor Chris Pratt's role as Star-Lord, who was too afraid to take his sick mother's hand.
- Barley shares his love of magic and bold , eccentric personality with his father Wilden Lightfoot.
- A patch on his vest says Hades, A character from Hercules and a patch on the other side says Hydra, the monster Hercules fought.