Barriss Offee is a Mirialan Jedi Knight and a character from the Star Wars universe. First appearing in the film of Star Wars: Attack of the Clones, Barriss' character was later developed in the television series of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, often paired with Anakin Skywalker's then-apprentice, Ahsoka Tano.
- 1 Background
- 2 Film Appearances
- 3 Television Appearances
- 4 Relationships
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Trivia
- 7 External links
- 8 References
The Mirialan apprentice of Jedi Master Luminara Unduli, who was the same species as her, Barriss was born Force-sensitive and raised by the Jedi Order at a young age. Having never known her birth parents on her original homeworld of Mirial, Barriss grew up in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.
Barriss formed a close relationship with Luminara during her training. She eventually obtained the rank of Jedi Knight, becoming one of the finest Jedi that the Jedi Order has ever had.
Barriss was initially the opposite of Ahsoka Tano, as Barriss was polite and mild-mannered while Ahsoka was impulsive and headstrong. The two Padawans first met on the planet Geonosis, where they were assigned to help their mentors destroy a droid factory. Barriss and Ahsoka were successful in destroying the factory, but in so doing they also brought down the ruins on themselves, becoming trapped in the rubble. Although Ahsoka was upset by the turn of events, Barriss accepted her fate, believing that they have saved countless lives with their efforts. Just as the Padawans had given up, Anakin Skywalker and Luminara successfully rescued them from the rubble.
Barriss turned to the dark side much later during the Clone Wars, frustrated by the conflict and destruction caused by the war between the Jedi Order and the Separatists. Barriss believed the Jedi no longer represented what they once were, so she carried out a bombing on the Coruscant Jedi Temple and framed her former friend Ahsoka, who was then cast out of the Jedi Order and put through a Republic military trial. Anakin eventually figured out that Barriss was behind the attacks and confronted her. Barriss surprised him by wielding the red lightsabers of Asajj Ventress, and they engaged in a duel throughout the Temple before Anakin eventually bested her.
Barriss was arrested for treason, but the damage was done: Ahsoka left the Jedi Order for good due to the fact that the members of the Jedi High Council (excluding Obi-Wan Kenobi) never believed in her innocence.
Powers and Abilities
- Power of the Force: Barriss is very powerful and has a very strong connection to the Force. Barriss is one of the most powerful Force-users currently alive.
- Telekinesis: Barriss utilizes Telekinesis for combative and utilitarian purposes.
- Force Push: Barriss utilizes Force Push to send her opponents flying through the air, causing them serious injury or temporarily incapacitating them/knocked them unconscious.
- Force Pull: Barriss utilizes Force Pull to pull her opponents or objects towards her.
- Force Choke: Barriss utilizes Force Choke to either weaken, kill or intimidate her opponents. She was skilled enough to throttle targets while only knowing their location relative to herself, though she still needed to be in their immediate proximity to do so.
- Force Jump: Barriss utilizes Force Jump to jump or leap at great distances.
- Force Dash: Barriss utilizes Force Dash to move at amazing speeds; for example, she can move so fast, that he was able to kill several clone troopers (off-screen) before they could react.
- Force Sense: Barriss utilizes Force Sense, to sense another sentient being's emotions, the future, ripples in the Force caused by momentous or traumatic events, impending danger, and the presence of the light side.
- Force Stealth: Barriss utilizes Force Stealth to conceal her presence from other Force-users. Even Ahsoka Tano and Asajj Ventress who both have considerable Force senses; could not sense her presence.
- Telekinesis: Barriss utilizes Telekinesis for combative and utilitarian purposes.
- Expert Lightsaber Duelist: Barriss is a highly skilled lightsaber duelist, as she is one of the deadliest lightsaber duelists currently alive. Barriss was able to best Ahsoka Tano relatively easily, she can also fight almost on par against Anakin Skywalker, however, despite this, her lightsaber combat skills are proven to be ultimately inferior to Anakin's; as the latter bested her.
- Form II: Barriss is highly skilled in Makashi.
- Form III: Barriss is highly skilled in Soresu.
- Jar'Kai: Barriss is highly skilled in Jar'Kai.
- High-Level Intellect/Expert Tactician/Leader/Manipulator: Barriss is highly intelligent and wise. As a former Jedi Commander, Barriss is a highly skilled tactician and a very capable leader.
Weapons and Equipment
Barriss' valued weapon and possession is her blue, later red-bladed lightsabers. She has only had three lightsabers.
- First Lightsaber: Barriss had built a blue-bladed lightsaber, as she used it throughout her Jedi career and most of the Clone Wars. It would remain in Barriss' possession until taken from her by Anakin Skywalker, who strike her with the weapon in order to expose Barriss as the true culprit of the bombing of the Coruscant Jedi Temple; knowing full well that she would have to use Asajj Ventress' lightsabers to defend herself. During Barriss' duel against Anakin; she destroyed her own lightsaber with one of Asajj's.
- Second Lightsaber: After Barriss knocked Asajj unconscious, she took her lightsaber, along with her second, Barriss used it in her confrontation against Ahsoka Tano. It would remain in Barriss' possession until her duel against Anakin. After Barriss was arrested for treason; the weapon was taken away from her.
- Third Lightsaber: After Barriss knocked Asajj unconscious, she took her second lightsaber, along with her first, Barriss used it in her confrontation against Ahsoka. It would remain in Barriss' possession until her duel against Anakin. After Barriss was arrested for treason; the weapon was taken away from her.
Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
Barriss was first seen standing with her mentor, Luminara Unduli in a meeting between Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine, and the Jedi High Council where they discussed the growing influence of the Separatists, and the threat of war between them, and the Galactic Republic.
Later, Barriss and Luminara were part of a Jedi assault rescue team on Geonosis to rescue senator Padmé Amidala, Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Padawan Anakin Skywalker. Though the battle was costly, Barriss, the surviving Jedi, and Padmé managed to survive, thanks to the timely arrival of Yoda, and the Clone Army. The battle was more or less won by the Jedi, though it was the start of the Clone Wars.
Barriss first met Anakin when they and their mentors were dispatched to Ansion to resolve a border dispute there, and their bond was strengthened when Barriss befriended Ahsoka. When Ahsoka was framed for murder and treason, Anakin hunted down Asajj Ventress who revealed Barriss's role in sending Ahsoka and her to the warehouse. Anakin quickly realized that Barriss was responsible for the bombing of the Coruscant Jedi Temple and for framing Ahsoka.
Anakin went to Barriss and forced her to reveal she had Asajj's lightsabers, thus exposing her. During the duel that followed, Anakin growled "Ahsoka trusted you and you betrayed her!", to which the Dark Jedi coldly retorted "I've learned that trust is overrated, the only thing the Jedi Council believes in is violence". Anakin defeated Barriss and turned her over to the Republic, thus clearing Ahsoka's name. Anakin never forgave Barriss for what she did to Ahsoka, especially after the latter left the Jedi Order for good.
When Barriss first met Ahsoka during the second battle of Geonosis, they quickly became close friends and helped each other on numerous occasions. Despite that friendship, it did not prevent Barriss from betraying her former friend after turning against the Jedi Order, by framing Ahsoka for the bombing of the Coruscant Jedi Temple and the murder of Letta Turmond.
Barriss was willing to let Ahsoka be executed for crimes she didn't commit. She felt no guilt, shame or remorse for betraying her former friend, even coldly stating to Anakin Skywalker "I've learned that trust is overrated", proving just how disloyal she truly was.
After Anakin exposed Barriss as the true culprit and forced her to confess her crimes before the entire court, Ahsoka was deeply shocked and hurt to learn that her former friend had set her up. Considering those circumstances, it could've been the last time that Barriss saw Ahsoka.
- Barriss is one of the few Dark Jedi seen in the Star Wars universe.
- In Star Wars Legends continuity, Barriss died during Order 66. However, she is revealed to being a traitor in the Jedi Order of the Star Wars Canon continuity, Barriss' fate remains unknown after her arrest; but it is very likely that she was killed in the Jedi Purge.