Bucky and Pronk Oryx-Antlerson are characters in the 2016 Disney animated feature film Zootopia. They are Judy's next-door neighbors at the Grand Pangolin Arms. Bucky is a kudu, and Pronk is a gemsbok (oryx).
Role in the film
Bucky and Pronk are seen briefly when Judy is shown to her apartment, quickly revealing themselves to be loud, obnoxious, and argumentative next-door neighbors. Later, when Judy is back in her apartment after a rough first day at work and her parents call, Bucky and Pronk overhear the conversation through the thin walls and offer some gruff commentary. Pronk rudely tells Judy to turn off the "depressing music" while Bucky is more sympathetic, stating that he needs to lay off because she "feels like a failure." The two then proceed to yell at each other to shut up. When Judy tells herself that tomorrow is another day, Pronk tells her that tomorrow may be worse.
- The voice actors for Bucky and Pronk are the directors of the film Zootopia.
- The relationship between the two characters was initially unclear to viewers. It was eventually confirmed that the two were a married couple by Jared Bush, the voice of Pronk.
- They are the first LGBT characters in the Disney Animated Canon. Disney now has LGBT characters in all of their major branches (Pixar has Specter and Greg, the Marvel Cinematic Universe has Valkyrie and Loki, and Star Wars has Moff Mors and Aphra).
- Bucky's voice actor, Byron Howard, is openly gay in real life.
- Their first names are references to articodactyls, an order of quadrupedal mammals. "Bucky" derives from the English word "Buck", a term that refers to male deer while "Pronk" comes from the English word "pronking", which refers to the action when an antelope (especially a springbok) leaps into the air when excited.
- Bush, Jared (November 29, 2016). "@tommyjoeavery They are a gay married couple. But they don't yell at each other because they're gay, they yell because they're real. ;)" (Tweet). Twitter. Retrieved on December 4, 2016.