Can of Worms is a Halloween Disney Channel Original Movie. It was released in 1999, and is based on the novel of the same name by Kathy Mackel, which was a Young Reader's Choice Nominee in 2002 and a nominee for the 2001 Rhode Island Children's Book Award. It was shot in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Mike Pillsbury (Michael Shulman) is a young man who feels he does not belong on Earth. He tries to win the heart of his friend, Katelyn (Erika Christensen), by helping out with the Halloween Dance, which is sabotaged by his rival, Scott Tribler. Upset, he sends a message into space asking to be rescued from Earth, unaware that aliens have heard it and plan on visiting.
An alien called Thoad arrives on Earth in order to claim Mike for his "zoo". His friend's brother is kidnapped, and with help from Scott, as well as another alien, Barnabus (Malcolm McDowell), he manages to travel to Thoad's lair and rescue his friend's brother and all the creatures trapped in the zoo. However, Thoad follows them back to Earth and attempts to take Mike with him to his lair, but Barnabus calls the Intergalactic Police, and Thoad is arrested and taken into custody. Barnabus tells Mike that Earth is safe again, and asks him to return to his home planet with him, but Mike tells him he at last feels that he belongs on Earth, and they say goodbye.
- Michael Shulman - Mike Pillsbury
- Erika Christensen - Katelyn
- Adam Wylie - Nick
- Andrew Ducote - Jay
- Garrett M. Brown - Dana Pillsbury
- Lee Garlington - Pamela Pillsbury
- Brighton Hertford - Jill Pillsbury
- Marcus Turner - Scott Tribler
- Chris Davies - Ryan
- Marie Stillin - Mrs. Nickerson
- Jessica Murdoch - Katelyn's Friend
- Terry David Mulligan - Coach Trembly
- Brian Steele - Thoad's Creature Form
- Hrogather Matthews - Thoad's Human Form
- Malcolm McDowell - Barnabus (voice)
- Bruce Lanoil - The Bom (voice)
- Wally Wingert - The Loafer Alien (voice)
- David Coburn - The Jarm (voice)
- Tara Strong - Lula (voice)
- Peter Kelamis - Intergalactic Cop (voice)
- J.D. Hall - Thoad's Creature Form (voice)
Although not shown for many years, the film was broadcast as part of the Disney Channel's 2006 "Hauntober Fest" in October. On October 23, 2007, it reappeared as part of the Halloween film line-up on the Disney Channel. It was a part of "Wiztober" in 2008 and 2009, which is a mix of Halloween ones. Also, it was re-aired on Disney Channel on October 9, 2011 as part of Disney's "Monstober" event.