Serving as a follow up to the Pixar movie, Cars 3: Driven to Win has Lightning McQueen and Cruz Ramirez being challenged by the former's old rival Chick Hicks in his program Chick's Picks for a rematch of the two against Jackson Storm, with Lightning still wanting to prove that his racing days are not over just yet.
After facing various challenges, and races against Miss Fritter, Mater (as Mater the Greater), and even Chick Hicks himself, the final race between Lightning and Jackson Storm takes place with Lightning being the winner.
Storm then goes on a tension stating he should have won and that he can beat anyone anywhere. Lightning and Cruz trick Storm into joining the demolition derby at the Thunder Hollow Speedway against Miss Fritter. The game ends with Lightning, Cruz and even Chick enjoying seeing Storm running away from Miss Fritter in terror.
Like with past games, it takes place after the events of its respective film. Over 20 playable characters are featured as well as twenty tracks that exist on thirteen different locations ranging from Radiator Springs to Florida International Speedway. In the Battle Race gamemode, Players can also collect weapons along the track and take down other racers with them.
- Lightning McQueen - Unlocked from the start
- Mater - Unlocked from the start
- Sally Carrera - Unlocked from the start
- Ramone - Unlocked from the start
- Guido - Unlocked from the start
- Mack - Unlocked by finding all 10 Mack hats at the Thomasville Playground
- Chick Hicks - Unlocked by winning the Chick Hicks Takedown
- Cruz Ramirez - Unlocked from the start
- Jackson Storm - Unlocked by winning the Jackson Storm Race
- Smokey - Unlocked by completing 124 Skill Checks
- Louise Nash - Unlocked by completing 57 Skill Checks
- River Scott - Unlocked by completing 77 Skill Checks
- Junior Moon - Unlocked by completing 27 Skill Checks
- Natalie Certain - Unlocked by completing 17 Skill Checks
- Miss Fritter - Unlocked by winning the Miss Fritter Battle Race
- Dr. Damage - Unlocked by completing 70 Skill Checks
- Arvy - Unlocked by completing 40 Skill Checks
- Bobby Swift - Unlocked by completing 4 Skill Checks
- Brick Yardley - Unlocked by completing 7 Skill Checks
- Rich Mixon - Unlocked by completing 85 Skill Checks
- Cam Spinner - Unlocked by completing 50 Skill Checks
- Fabulous Lightning McQueen - Unlocked from the start; Free DLC/Update
- Mater the Greater - Unlocked by winning the Mater the Greater Stunt Showcase
- Some of the soundtrack from Cars 2: The Video Game return.
- The Oil Rig is the only location from Cars 2: The Video Game not to be represented by a track in Cars 3: Driven to Win.
- This game marks Mack's first appearance in a video game as a playable character.
- At the end of Cars 3, Lightning had a dark blue ''Fabulous'' paint job like Doc Hudson, but in the game's cutscenes, he has his red paint job and decals back.
- With the exception of Darrell Waltrip and Junior Johnson reprising their roles as Darrell Cartrip and Junior Moon respectively, the game features an entirely different voice cast from that in other material in the Cars franchise. One such example would be Lightning McQueen as he is not voiced by Keith Ferguson who usually replaces his main actor Owen Wilson. Instead, Lightning is voiced by Ben Rausch in the game.
- As such, this is the only Cars production where Mater is not voiced by Larry the Cable Guy, but instead Adam Burton.
- Chick Hicks, despite being voiced by Bob Peterson in the film, is voiced by Jude Hillary instead. This makes Chick have a high pitched raspy voice similar to Michael Keaton, who voiced Chick in the first film.
- "Cars 3: Driven to Win - EB Games Australia". EB Games Australia. Retrieved on May 24, 2017.
- "Cars 3: Driven To Win On Nintendo Switch Is An Argos Exclusive In The UK". Nintendo Insider (April 7, 2017). Retrieved on April 30, 2017.
- "Cars 3: Driven to Win Release Date Revealed". IGN (April 5, 2017). Retrieved on April 5, 2017.
- "Former Disney Infinity Dev's New Game Cars 3: Driven To Win Coming Soon". GameSpot (April 5, 2017). Retrieved on April 5, 2017.
- Minotti, Mike (April 5, 2017). "Cars 3: Driven to Win is bringing Lightning and friends to consoles on June 13". VentureBeat. Retrieved on April 6, 2017.