Chadwick Aaron Boseman was an African-American actor, producer, screenwriter, and playwright. He was well known for portraying historical figures such as Jackie Robinson in the 2013 biographical sports drama 42, James Brown in the 2014 biographical musical drama Get on Up, and Thurgood Marshall in the 2017 biographical legal drama Marshall (2017).
For Disney, he played T'Challa/Black Panther in the Marvel Cinematic Universe films Captain America: Civil War, Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War, and Avengers: Endgame. His role as the voice of T'Challa in the first season of What If...? was his final role.
On August 28, 2020, Boseman passed away following a 4-year battle with colon cancer. He was due to reprise his role as Black Panther in the sequel, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, before he died. He passed away before production had began. On November 15, 2020, executive producer Victoria Alonso denied rumors that a digital body double of Boseman would be used for Wakanda Forever, saying "our king has died in real life, not only in fiction, and we’re taking a little time to see how we continue the story..."
- When Boseman's death was announced on Twitter on his account, it became the most liked tweet ever.
- Boseman was honoured at the MTV Awards in December 2020.
- On what would have been the Boseman's 44th birthday, Marvel shared a brand new animated Marvel introduction sequence, for Black Panther, on Disney+.
- Boseman made SAG Awards history on Thursday February 4, 2021, when he became the first person ever to receive four nominations in a single year in the film categories.
- Boseman was nominated for his final movie role in Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, on March 15, 2021.
- He won the award of Best Actor for his role as MA RAINEY’S BLACK BOTTOM’ at the SAG Awards on April 5, 2021.
- The second episode of What If...?, which was also Boseman's first Marvel posthumous role (as well as 3 other episodes), was dedicated in his memory.
- There were plans by the What If...? writers to have Chadwick voice T'Challa/Star-Lord in his own show, before Boseman's death.
- Haring, Bruce (November 15, 2020). "‘Black Panther 2’ Will Not Use Digital Double Of Chadwick Boseman, Says EP". Retrieved on November 15, 2020.
- "The final tweet from Chadwick Boseman’s Twitter has become the most-liked post ever" (August 30, 2020).
- "Chadwick Boseman is Honoured at the MTV Awards, Presented by Marvel Stars Robert Downey Jr and Don Cheadle" (December 7, 2020).
- "Chadwick Boseman made SAG Awards History on Thursday When He Became the First Person Ever to Receive Four Nominations in a Single Year in the Film Categories". Twitter (February 4, 2021).
- "Chadwick Boseman Receives His First-Ever Oscar Nomination for Final Movie Role in Ma Rainey's Black Bottom". People on Twitter (March 15, 2021).
- "Chadwick Boseman has won Best Actor for ‘MA RAINEY’S BLACK BOTTOM’ at the #SAGAwards". DiscussingFilm on Twitter (April 5, 2021).
- Marvel’s ‘What If…?’ Finale, Season 2 Plans and the T’Challa Spinoff That Never Was