Chip Whistler is a cocky and arrogant man whose only concern seems to be making money. He always feels the need to get even with, or outdo the "competition" which he believes he can due to his money. He can be rather petty as seen in "Feud Fight" where after he attacked Cricket with a tomato (after he had ceased fighting) Chip was quick to gloat his "victory" only for everyone to turn on him for attacking a child. Chip is also quite vain as after shaking hands with Bill Green, he was put off by Bill's missing finger to the point that he had to wipe his hands afterwards. As Tilly states at the end of "Supermarket Scandal", "his name fits his mouth", due to his chipped tooth.
Chip is a tall orange-skinned man, presumably in his thirties or forties. He has neatly combed light blond hair with browning sideburns and a long soul patch on his chin. He constantly has his sunglasses rested on his head and wears a Bluetooth headset in his ear all the time. Chip's fashion is a laid back vegan design of a turquoise button-up shirt, brown pants that are rolled up to the hem and sandals. He also seems to wear a beaded anklet. While he is usually seen with perfect teeth, he has a large chip in the center of it after having accidentally eaten a fake apple, though he continues to repair it.
Role in the series
In Chip's debut episode, "Supermarket Scandal", he at first seems friendly towards the Greens, offering to buy a shipment of food from them for his supermarket. Bill declines on this, since he can only fill half the order, but Cricket offers to fulfill the order. He and Tilly do this by painting all sorts of things from their garage to look like fruits and vegetables, but after Bill tells them what could happen when the consumers find out their food is fake, they rush to Wholesome Food to retrieve the fake food. However, Chip, unaware of this, eventually bites into an 8-ball painted as an apple, which chips his tooth and gives a literal meaning to his name. Furious, he blames the Greens for his broken tooth and vows revenge on them.
Since then, he has become something of a childish bully; trying to usurp the Greens from their spot in the farmer's market to trying to steal coffee beans from Cricket and Gloria. In "Reckoning Ball", his father finally puts an end to this by having him work for the Greens. Over time, he seems to learn from his mistakes and finally takes over his father's company when he retires. However, Chip is revealed to have really been after gaining more power so that he can finally get back at the Greens.
In "Friend Con", Chip pretends to befriend Bill at Farm Con, but Cricket and Tilly soon discover that he is still evil and plans to impersonate Bill and usurp his keynote speech so he can ruin Green Family Farms.
In "Chipwrecked", after multiple failures, Chip buys out Big Coffee and fires Cricket and Gloria. In the very next episode, "Chipocalypse Now", he then proceeds to buy out the apartment building next door to the Greens and tears down both it and Big Coffee, replacing them with a bigger Wholesome Foods store. Then, he shows Mayor Hansock a forged petition demanding the Greens be exiled from Big City, and prepares to have the Greens' house torn down. While Tilly, Bill, and Alice defend their home, Cricket and Remy sneak in to Chip's office and find evidence that he forged the petition. Then, when all the Greens' friends come to their defense, Mayor Hansock declares that the Greens will not be exiled after all, and that instead Chip is fired from being Wholesome Foods' CEO and banished from the city himself. Furious that his plans have failed, Chip makes one last-ditch effort to kill the Greens with his helicopter, but ends up running it into a telephone wire, which then sends him hurtling into the sky and out of Big City.
- Chip can be seen as a dark parallel to Cricket as they are both raised by their respective fathers who are farmers and are both careless and immature at times. However, Cricket cares for the well beings of other people, especially his friends and family while Chip on the other hand, is more selfish and absorbed and only cares for himself than other people, even his own father.
- Much of his antagonism towards the Greens (and other related people) is purely his own fault. As a matter of fact, Bill Green seemed totally oblivious to the fact that there is any animosity until the episode "Reckoning Ball".
- He has filled his chipped tooth with composite resin and indestructible bonded polymer, which according to him is very toxic, "but worth it."
- Contrarily, his father is the total opposite of him; calm, friendly and a hard worker who expects the best out of people.
- "Reckoning Ball" is the first episode where Chip is the main character. He is also the first villain in the show to be the main character of an episode.
- Ironically, Chip ends up as the one who bites the Greens' fake produce, causing him to turn against them, which was what Bill predicted what would happen to whoever eats the fake produce.
- Chip is in many ways similar to Gloria Sato, as both characters had their life throughout the course of the show being heavily influenced by the presence and actions of the Greens' family, in particular of Cricket, but while Gloria disliked the Greens at first but grew to eventually like them and appreciate their efforts, Chip was originally neutral towards the Greens and quickly became more antagonistic and aggressive towards the family.
- "Tumblr Chip's Mom". Tumblr (July 2, 2020).