Seventeen years prior to their feature film version, Walt Disney Productions developed a possible short film version of Cinderella that was to have been a part of the Silly Symphonies series. Burt Gillett was attached to direct.
Along with a story treatment, Walt sent a list of suggested opportunities for gags around the studio in order to help his animators brainstorm them.
Suggestons on the list included:
- Methods of Cinderella helping her stepfamily dress.
- Different objects being used as wheels for the pumpkin coach.
- Objects being used as an imaginary prince by Cinderella in pantomine.
- Methods of the stepsisters hiding Cinderella from the Prince.
- Methods by which Cinderella's animal friends reveal where she is hidden
- Methods of the stepsisters trying to cram their feet into the slipper.
- Different settings and or backgrounds for Cinderella and the prince's waltz.
A complete collection of submitted gag ideas was assembled on December 14, 1933.