|| "Even miracles take a little time."
To prevent speculation, please add reliable sources to the unreleased media. Any information that is not backed up by citations may be removed.
Thank you and have a magical day!
- “Brilliant. Bad. A little bit mad”
Cruella is an upcoming American live-action film which will be distributed by Walt Disney Pictures. Based on the 1961 Disney animated feature film, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, the film serves as an origin story for Cruella De Vil.
“Cruella,” which is set in 1970s London amidst the punk rock revolution, follows a young grifter named Estella, a clever and creative girl determined to make a name for herself with her designs. She befriends a pair of young thieves who appreciate her appetite for mischief, and together they are able to build a life for themselves on the London streets. One day, Estella’s flair for fashion catches the eye of the Baroness von Hellman, a fashion legend who is devastatingly chic and terrifyingly haute, played by two-time Oscar® winner Emma Thompson (“Howards End,” “Sense & Sensibility”). But their relationship sets in motion a course of events and revelations that will cause Estella to embrace her wicked side and become the raucous, fashionable, and revenge-bent Cruella.
- Emma Stone as Estella "Cruella" De Vil
- Tipper Seifert-Cleveland as Young Estella
- Emma Thompson as Von Hellman
- Paul Walter Hauser as Horace
- Joel Fry as Jasper
- Emily Beecham as Anita
- Mark Strong as Boris
- Jamie Demetriou as Gerald
- Kirby Howell-Baptiste as Tabitha
- Abraham Popoola as Geroge
- John McCrea as Artie
- Sid Sagar as Mark
- John Mackay
- Gianni Calchetti
- Kate Margo
Glenn Close, Andrew Gunn, Aline Brosh McKenna, and Marc Platt will serve as producers of the film. McKenna was also hired as the writer of the film; in October 2015, she was replaced by Kelly Marcel, who also wrote the screenplay for Saving Mr. Banks.
The film itself is an origin story for the character Cruella De Vil, hence making it a prequel to the 101 Dalmatians story. However, as the film is live action, it's not to be considered canon to 101 Dalmatians.
In January 2016, it was reported that Emma Stone is in negotiations to play Cruella. In April 2016, Disney confirmed that she will indeed play the character. She would also serve as an executive producer.
In December 2016, Alex Timbers was confirmed to direct the film. However, it was announced that Timbers will no longer be directing Cruella due to scheduling conflicts and will be replaced by the I, Tonya director Craig Gillespie.
- Cruella is the second Disney live-action adaptation to feature the perspective of the villain, after Maleficent.
- Glenn Close, one of the executive producers of the film, played the character of Cruella in the 1996 live-action adaptation of 101 Dalmatians and its second sequel.
- This will be the fifth time that Emma Thompson will do a role for a Disney film, after playing Captain Amelia in Treasure Planet, Queen Elinor in Brave, P. L. Travers in Saving Mr. Banks, and Mrs. Potts in the 2017 live-action adaptation of Beauty and the Beast.
- Nicole Kidman, Charlize Theron, Julianne Moore, and Demi Moore were considered for a role.
- Following the COVID-19 pandemic, this will be the first live-action Walt Disney Pictures film to have a theatrical release since Maleficent: Mistress of Evil.
- "Disney Delays 'Cruella'". Variety. Retrieved on August 20, 2019.