Donald James MacHale, known popularly under the pen name D.J. MacHale, is an American writer, director, and executive producer. He has been affiliated with shows, such as Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Flight 29 Down, and Seasonal Differences. MacHale is also the author of the popular young adult book series, Pendragon and Morpheus Road.
Donald James MacHale was born on March 11, 1955 in Greenwich, Connecticut. While in school, he had several jobs including collecting eggs at a poultry farm, engraving sports trophies and washing dishes in a steakhouse, in between playing football and running track.
Upon graduation, MacHale attended New York University and got a BFA in film production. He never enjoyed writing until college, where his screenwriting teacher (Pat Cooper) changed his outlook.
MacHale won the CableACE Award for his series Chris Cross and the Gemini Award for Are You Afraid of the Dark?. It aired on YTV in Canada and Nickelodeon in the United States. MacHale won a CableACE nomination for The Tale of Cutter's Treasure, a Gemini nomination for The Tale of the Dangerous Soup, a Writer's Guild of America nomination and a Director's Guild of America nomination for his popular kids TV series, Flight 29 Down, and a CableACE nomination for Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective, a book series. His popular young adult series is titled Pendragon.
- ABC Afterschool Special (TV Series)
- Are You Afraid of the Dark? (TV Series)
- The Tale of Cutter's Treasure (Movie)
- The Tale of the Dangerous Soup (Movie)
- Tower of Terror (Movie)
- Flight 29 Down (TV Series)
- Seasonal Differences (TV Series)
- Ghostwriter (TV Series)
- Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Movie Series)
- Pendragon: Journal of an Adventure Through Time and Space (Book Series)
- East of the Sun and West of the Moon (Penned Adaptation)
- Chris Cross (TV Series)
- The Guide to the Territories of Halla, (2005): provides information about The Pendragon Adventure book series up to book five, Black Water including the era, land mass, events, currency, and recreation.
- Morpheus Road (Book Series)
- The Monster Princess (Picture Book)
- SYLO (Book Series Fall 2013)