- “Mirror, mirror, what does our future hold? Show me what happens when our stories unfold.”
- ―Evie, Introduction
Descendants: Wicked World (also abbreviated simply as Wicked World) is an animated short-form series based on the Disney Channel movie Descendants. It premiered on September 18, 2015 on the Disney Channel and its digital platforms, including WATCH Disney Channel.
Picking up where the film left off, the villain kids, Mal, Evie, Jay, and Carlos use their one shot at being good while the dreadful and villainous parents roam the Isle of the Lost. The short series introduces new characters from the Isle and Auradon.
- Mal (Dove Cameron) - daughter of Maleficent.
- Jay (Booboo Stewart) - son of Jafar.
- Evie (Sofia Carson) - daughter of the Evil Queen.
- Carlos De Vil (Cameron Boyce) - son of Cruella De Vil.
- King Ben (Mitchell Hope) - son of Belle and the Beast and king of Auradon.
- Princess Audrey (Sarah Jeffery) - daughter of Aurora and Prince Phillip.
- Lonnie (Dianne Doan) - daughter of Fa Mulan and Li Shang.
- Jane (Brenna D'Amico) - daughter of the Fairy Godmother.
- Jordan (Ursula Taherian) - daughter of Genie.
- Freddie Facilier (China Anne McClain/Lauryn McClain) - daughter of Dr. Facilier.
- Ally (Jennifer Veal) - daughter of Alice.
- Zevon (Bradley Steven Perry) - son of Yzma.
- CJ Hook (Myrna Velasco) - daughter of Captain Hook.
The production of the series was announced right after the film Descendants finished airing on Disney Channel. Former Phineas and Ferb storyboard artist Aliki Theofilopoulos Grafft directed the first season, with Jenni Cook as producer. Each episode of the series is under five minutes long, and features the original cast respiring their roles. Director Eric Fogel currently directs the second season.
- The animation design of the characters are closely modelled after their live-action counterparts, and also take inspiration from the Descendants doll line.
- The series features four original songs that were released as bonus tracks on the Descendants soundtrack. The songs include a retro-soul "Rotten to the Core" remix performed by Sofia Carson, "Night Is Young" performed by China Anne McClain, "Good is the New Bad" performed by Dove Cameron, Sofia Carson and China Anne McClain, and "I'm Your Girl" performed by Felicia Barton.
- This is the first animated series produced exclusively to Disney Channel after Mickey Mouse.
- The intro was first shown at the end of the Rotten to the Core remix music video.
- Each episode is less than five minutes long.
- In the series, Villain Kids are referred as VKs while the kids from Auradon are called AKs.
- Doug and Chad are currently the only characters from Descendants who have yet to appear in the show.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 "Disney Renews Descendants: Wicked World For Season 2". deadline.com (July 14, 2016).