- “Remember how we always thought there wasn't a way to kill a Toon? Well, Doom found a way: turpentine, acetone, benzene. He calls it the Dip!”
- ―Lt. Santino
The Dip is a sickly green, ghastly chemical concoction seen in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
It was created by Judge Doom and is feared by all toons, as it can fatally dissolve toons on contact. It is his preferred method of passing punishment, whether they are deemed innocent or guilty. In short, he wanted to commit toon genocide.
According to Lt. Santino, it is a mixture of turpentine, acetone and benzene; the former two being paint solvents, and the latter being a natural constituent of crude oil and one of the most basic petrochemicals. While it is externally harmless to humans (as Eddie Valiant was seen running through a flood of it), any toon that comes in contact with it will melt slowly and painfully and is apparently the only surefire way to kill a toon.
As a well-deserved poetic justice, Judge Doom ends up being melted himself near the end of the film, after revealing himself to actually be a toon. He also invented a vehicle machine called "The Dip Machine", which would have dissolved all of Toontown and its innumerable citizens into oblivion. Fortunately, it was destroyed by an oncoming toon bullet train.
Only three characters die from the Dip in the film: the Toon Shoe, Smartass, and Judge Doom. Benny the Cab comes into contact with it, but survives (his tires end up blowing out, though). It is highly possible other toons died or at least touched it in order for Doom to know for sure that it worked. It is also possible he tested other toonsby throwing them in the dip mobile and spraying them before the film's events to make sure that the machine worked as well.
- In an early script, the Dip was going to be called "The Final Solution".
- The three chemicals that create the Dip are all paint thinners, hence why it is fatal to toons.
- The Dip would also be fatal to humans if ingested, given its ingredients.
- Despite the description of the Dip as the only surefire way to kill a toon, the Toon Patrol are shown to permanently die of laughter as well; however, only Smartass was completely destroyed while the rest of them simply came back as ghosts.
- Thinner from the Epic Mickey series strongly resembles the Dip, as does the chemical in the paint mixer rooms in the mint of Toontown Online.
- The Toon Shoe that got dipped was originally going to be a gopher, but it was likely changed for the film to keep a PG rating.