"Dirt Jar" is the second segment of the sixty-ninth episode of Big City Greens and serves as the first part of the mid-season finale.
Cricket's missing dirt jar prompts the story of when the Greens left their country farm.
Bill, Gloria, and Gramma Alice are looking through their finances and come to the realization that both the farm and café are doing well, essentially putting them out of all their debt. Cricket suddenly screams in agony over his lost jar of dirt which he was going to show Remy. Bill, looking guilty, suddenly realizes what he has done and goes out back. Alice catches him and he reveals that he accidentally threw it out. He finds the jar of dirt, but the jar shatters and the dirt blows away in the wind. Alice decides to help Bill with collecting dirt for the jar, followed by her adding paprika to it to make it look red. While that is happening, Cricket tells Remy the story of why the dirt jar is important to him.
In a flashback, Cricket and Tilly are enjoying their farm life when Bill comes in to inform them that they are moving to Big City. The kids are immediately upset with Bill and hide in their room. Tilly gradually decides to go through the five stages of acceptance while Cricket decides to do everything in his power to deter Bill's plans for them to move. Cricket's plans all fail, so Bill decides to try and sell the kids on why moving to Big City is good. When they still refuse, Bill admits that they are not moving willingly as bigger farms are putting them out of business. On the day of moving, Cricket still does not want to go as he does not know what to do with himself. Bill has Cricket get a jar of dirt to remind him of his life in the country.
In the present, Remy is touched by Cricket's backstory that it drives him to tears. Bill gives Cricket the jar of dirt, but when he sniffs it, he realizes that it is fake and Bill is forced to come clean about what happened. Cricket apparently accepts this answer, adding that he still has a part of the country in him, but Bill comes up with another idea; he and Cricket will take a road trip back out into the country for old time's sake. The two travel a great distance until they arrive in Smalton and see the old farm house. As Cricket runs out to collect more dirt for his jar, Bill spots a for sale sign in front of their old house. He tells Cricket that he has another crazy idea, implying that they may be able buy it back.
- Chris Houghton as Cricket Green
- Marieve Herington as Tilly Green
- Bob Joles as Bill Green
- Artemis Pebdani as Gramma Alice
- Zeno Robinson as Remy Remington
- Anna Akana as Gloria Sato
- The series’ creator state that the series will never be the same after this.
- This episode aired a few days on Disney+ before it’s actual broadcast.
- This episode reveals the book Cricket supposedly flipped through to learn about the city, as he said in "Welcome Home".
- The book in question was called Gabe in the City and shows a pig, an obvious reference to Babe in the City.
- It is revealed that the name of the town the Greens came from is called Smalton, a reference to the fact that it is a "Small Town".
- The episode ends on a cliffhanger, which resumes in the next episode "The Move".
- The prospect of the Greens moving back to the country was foreshadowed on the poster for Season 3, which showed the Greens and Remy leaving Big City with the trunk load of household objects.
- Moral: Your old home will always be part of you no matter where you live.