Disney's Sing-Along Songs: The Bare Necessities is a Disney's Sing-Along Songs video released on October 6, 1987. Released to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of The Jungle Book, it is notably the first Sing-Along Songs video in which Jiminy Cricket appears as the host instead of Professor Owl, who appears at the beginning to introduce Jiminy. It is also the first Sing-Along Songs video in which the featured songs all have a central theme - in this case, the animal kingdom.
Get set for a tuneful time with Baloo the Bear from The Jungle Book as well as other Disney characters in a brilliant, song-filled program of sing-along singing fun! You'll learn the words to a sparkling collection of magical songs with DISNEY'S SING-ALONG SONGS: THE BARE NECESSITIES. Gather up the entire family for a captivating songfest that is highlighted by a rainbow of scenes from best-loved animated Classics, movies and cartoons. Voices ready? Everybody sing!
Sing along with songs from The Jungle Book, Cinderella, The Aristocats, Dumbo...and more!
- Disney Sing Along Songs Theme Song
- The Bare Necessities (The Jungle Book)
- You Are a Human Animal (The Mickey Mouse Club)
- Work Song (Cinderelly, Cinderelly) (Cinderella)
- Old Yeller (Old Yeller)
- Figaro and Cleo (Figaro and Cleo)
- Winnie the Pooh (The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh)
- I Wan'na Be Like You (The Jungle Book)
- Look Out for Mr. Stork (Dumbo)
- Everybody Wants to Be a Cat (The Aristocats)
- The Ugly Bug Ball (Summer Magic)
- The Bare Necessities (Reprise)
- Known as El Libro de la Selva: Ritmo en la Selva in Spanish, released in Spain and in limited quantities in the United States.
- Known as Le Livre de la Jungle: Il En Faut Peu Pour Être Heureux in French, released in France.
- "You Are a Human Animal" uses footage from Make Mine Music, For Whom the Bulls Toil, The Aristocats, Farmyard Symphony, You and Your... Sense of Touch, Lambert the Sheepish Lion, Birds in the Spring, and Figaro and Cleo.
- Jiminy Cricket's segments use stock footage from This is Your Life, Donald Duck, You Are a Human Animal, You and the Living Machine, Fun and Fancy Free, I'm No Fool... Having Fun, You and Your... Eyes, You and Your... Five Senses, and You and Your... Senses of Smell and Taste.
- During "Winnie the Pooh", a clip of the opening scene from Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too runs, then after a clip of Pooh bouncing on the lyrics to the chorus, Jiminy says "You can do better than that, so I'll give you more words. Let's do it all over!" and the rest of the song lyrics appear on the screen during a montage of clips from all the featurettes.
- After the song, Jiminy then says "Great! Part of that song didn't have any words. So have fun with it! Ooh be doo with Baloo! Just make them up as you go along." which then leads into "I Wan'na Be Like You".
- During "I Wan'na Be Like You", at one point, Jiminy says "Baloo and Louie are doing whatever they want, and you can too!"
- During "Look Out For Mr. Stork" Jiminy says "Poor Mrs. Jumbo... All those babies, and no sign of the little pachyderm."
- The 2006 DVD features the original post-credits promo, but Jiminy's narration is missing.
- "The Ugly Bug Ball" uses the original footage from Summer Magic, then it also contains footage from classic Disney bug cartoons like Woodland Café and Mickey's Garden throughout the rest of the song, it also takes out the instrumental breaks making the song a bit shorter than it normally is.
- "Old Yeller" uses a montage of clips from the movie of the same name.
- The closing credits use the still background from The Jungle Book instead of the normal blue one.
- One of the last Disney videocassette releases to have the print logo sandwiched between blue lines on the tape label.
- The full version of "Cinderella Work Song" is included on "Colors of the Wind".
With the Talents of
- Corey Burton - Professor Owl, Bertie Birdbrain (theme song only)
- Sebastian Cabot - Bagheera (archive footage)
- Eddie Carroll - Jiminy Cricket
- Dean Clark - Berlioz (archive footage)
- Kevin Corcoran - Arliss Coates (archive footage)
- Scatman Crothers - Scat Cat (archive footage)
- Gary Dubin - Toulouse (archive footage)
- Cliff Edwards - Jiminy Cricket (archive footage)
- Liz English - Marie (archive footage)
- Verna Felton - Elephant Matriarch (archive footage)
- Eva Gabor - Duchess (archive footage)
- Phil Harris - Baloo, Thomas O'Malley (archive footage)
- Sterling Holloway - Mr. Stork (archive footage)
- Lord Tim Hudson - Hit Cat (archive footage)
- Burl Ives - Osh Popham (archive footage)
- Nancy Kulp - Frou-Frou (archive footage)
- Jimmy Mathers - Peter Carey (archive footage)
- Louis Prima - King Louie (archive footage)
- Thurl Ravenscroft - Russian Cat (archive footage)
- Bruce Reitherman - Mowgli (archive footage)
- Vito Scotti - Italian Cat (archive footage)
- Paul Winchell - Chinese Cat (archive footage)
- Jimmy MacDonald - Gus, Jaq (archive footage)
- Clarence Nash - Figaro (archive footage)