It started as a domestic service, and then expanded internationally after Fall 2019. The service is the exclusive home to Disney-owned original content from Disney, Pixar, Marvel Entertainment, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios, and National Geographic channels.
Disney+ was launched early in the Netherlands on September 12, 2019 as a free trial. It officially launched in the Netherlands, United States and Canada on November 12, 2019 just before 3:00 a.m. EST (UTC–5). Disney+ launched in Australia, New Zealand, and Puerto Rico on November 19, 2019, and launched in Austria, United Kingdom, Spain, Italy, Germany, Ireland, and Switzerland on March 24, 2020. Disney+ is expected to launch in Eastern Europe, over the course of a year, and Latin America, over the course of three months, both starting in October 2020. In Spain, a linear Disney+ TV channel launched alongside the streaming service, which broadcasts programming from Disney+. It's available exclusively on Movistar+, their release partner in the region.
In December 2019, it was announced that Canal+ would be the exclusive distributor of Disney+ in France. Three days before the launch, Kevin Mayer, chairman of the Direct-to-Consumer & International division, announced that Disney+ is delaying its launch in France until April 7, instead of the original March 24 date, because of a request from the French government to prevent internet gridlock as the response to the COVID-19 pandemic placing additional strain on communications networks.
In February 2020, Iger announced that it planned to launch Disney+ in India on March 29, 2020 by means of its existing service Hotstar, rebranding its paid tiers as a co-branded service. Hotstar was acquired by Disney during the Fox purchase, and has been the dominant streaming service in the country.
In April 2020, it was announced that Disney+ original content will be licensed to pay TV and streaming operator OSN, starting on April 9, in the Middle East and North Africa region with Disney noting that they had no current "plan to launch Disney+ as a standalone service in the region in the near future".
The service launched in Japan on June 11, 2020 as part of Disney's existing partnership with NTT Docomo, and succeeded their existing Disney Deluxe service in the region for the Disney+ Originals.
Disney+ launched in Indonesia through Hotstar on September 5, 2020, and in Portugal, Belgium, Finland, Iceland, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden, and Denmark on September 15, 2020, and is set to launch in Latin America on November 17, 2020.
|Release date||Country/Territory||Release partner|
|November 12, 2019||Canada|
|November 19, 2019||Australia|
|March 24, 2020||Austria|
|April 2, 2020||Channel Islands|
|Isle of Man|
|April 3, 2020||India||Hotstar|
|April 7, 2020||France||Canal+|
|April 30, 2020||Monaco|
|Wallis and Futuna||Canal+ Calédonie|
|French West Indies||Canal+ Caraïbes|
|June 11, 2020||Japan||NTT Docomo|
|September 5, 2020||Indonesia||Hotstar|
|September 15, 2020||Belgium|
|November 17, 2020||Latin America|
|Mid 2020||Réunion||Canal+ Réunion|
|November 17, 2020||Brazil|
|Lady and the Tramp||November 12, 2019||Action-Adventure/Comedy/Family/Romance||1 hr. 51 minutes||Cantonese/Danish/Dutch/English/Finnish/French/German/Italian/Japanese/Norwegian/Polish/Portuguese/Spanish/Swedish||No||Disney|
|Noelle||Comedy/Family/Fantasy||1 hr. 40 minutes|
|One Day at Disney||December 3, 2019||Documentary/Family||1 hr. 1 minute|
|Arendelle Castle Yule Log||December 13, 2019||Animation/Family||3 hr. 1 minute||English|
|Togo||December 20, 2019||Action-Adventure/Animals & Nature/Family/Historical/Survival||1 hr. 56 minutes||Cantonese/Danish/Dutch/English/Finnish/French/German/Italian/Japanese/Norwegian/Polish/Portuguese/Spanish/Swedish|
|Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made||February 7, 2020||Buddy/Comedy/Family/Mystery||1 hr. 43 minutes||Danish/Dutch/English/Finnish/French/German/Italian/Japanese/Norwegian/Polish/Portuguese/Spanish/Swedish|
|Stargirl||March 13, 2020||Coming of Age/Drama/Musical/Romance||1 hr. 47 minutes|
|Diving with Dolphins||April 3, 2020||Animals & Nature/Documentary/Family||1 hr. 19 minutes||Cantonese/Danish/Dutch/English/Finnish/French/German/Italian/Japanese/Norwegian/Polish/Portuguese/Spanish/Swedish||Disneynature|
|Dolphin Reef||1 hr. 17 minutes|
|Elephant||1 hr. 29 minutes|
|In the Footsteps of Elephant||1 hr. 28 minutes|
|Penguins: Life on the Edge||1 hr. 18 minutes|
|A Celebration of the Music from Coco||April 10, 2020||Concert Film/Music/Musical||47 minutes||English||Disney|
|Artemis Fowl||June 12, 2020||Action-Adventure/Crime/Fantasy/Science Fiction||1 hr. 35 minutes||Dutch/English/French/Italian/Spanish|
|Hamilton: History Has Its Eyes on You||July 10, 2020||Historical/Musical/Talk Show||46 minutes||English|
|Black is King||July 31, 2020||Dance/Music/Musical||1 hr. 25 minutes|
|Howard||August 7, 2020||Biographical/Documentary/Music||1 hr. 34 minutes||English/Spanish|
|Magic Camp||August 14, 2020||Comedy/Family||1 hr. 40 minutes||Danish/Dutch/English/Finnish/French/German/Italian/Norwegian/Spanish/Swedish|
|The One and Only Ivan||August 21, 2020||Drama/Family/Fantasy||1 hr. 35 minutes||Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Portuguese/Spanish|
|Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Candace Against the Universe||August 28, 2020||Action-Adventure/Animation/Comedy/Family/Science Fiction||1 hr. 26 minutes||Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish|
|Mulan||September 4, 2020 (Premier Access)|
December 4, 2020
|Action-Adventure/Coming of Age/Drama/Fantasy||1 hr. 56 minutes||N/A||Yes ($29.99 (U.S. dollar))|
|Secret Society of Second-Born Royals||September 25, 2020||Action-Adventure/Coming of Age/Family/Fantasy/Superhero||1 hr. 39 minutes||No|
|Clouds||October 16, 2020||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Black Beauty||Fall 2020|
|Flora & Ulysses|
|The Grimm Legacy|
|Home Alone||20th Century Studios|
|Miraculous World: Shanghai – Lady Dragon (U.S. Premiere)||Zagtoon|
|Once on This Island||Disney|
|The Paper Magician|
|Sister Act 3|
|Untitled Cheaper by the Dozen remake||20th Century Studios|
|Untitled Diary of a Wimpy Kid remake|
|Untitled Father of the Bride remake||Disney|
|Untitled Hercules remake|
|Untitled Hocus Pocus sequel|
|Untitled Ice Age spin-off||20th Century Studios|
|Untitled Inspector Gadget remake||Disney|
|Untitled Lilo & Stitch remake|
|Untitled Mickey Mouse documentary|
|Untitled Night at the Museum remake||20th Century Studios|
|Untitled The Parent Trap remake||Disney|
|Untitled Prince Anders spin-off|
|Untitled Rio spin-off}}||20th Century Studios|
|Untitled Robin Hood remake||Disney|
|Untitled SpaceCamp remake||20th Century Studios|
|Untitled Splash remake||Disney|
|Untitled The Sword in the Stone remake|
|Untitled Three Men and a Baby remake|
|Untitled Youth Orchestra Los Angeles documentary|
|Wouldn't It Be Nice|
|Disney Family Sundays||November 12, 2019||Anthology/Family/Lifestyle||1||6-10 min.||Disney||Ongoing|
|High School Musical: The Musical: The Series||Comedy/Drama/Music/Romance/Romantic Comedy||30-39 min.|
|The Imagineering Story||Docuseries/Historical||62-69 min.||Cancelled|
|Legend of the Three Caballeros (U.S. Premiere)||Action-Adventure/Animation/Comedy/Kids||24 min.|
|The Mandalorian||November 12, 2019 (Season 1)|
October 30, 2020 (Season 2)
|Action-Adventure/Family/Science Fiction||33-49 min.||Lucasfilm||Ongoing|
|Marvel's Hero Project||November 12, 2019||Docuseries/Family||23-29 min.||Marvel|
|Pixar: In Real Life||Anthology/Comedy/Family/Reality||5-7 min.||Pixar|
|The World According to Jeff Goldblum||Docuseries||24-31 min.||Natonal Geographic|
|One Day at Disney||December 6, 2019||Anthology/Docuseries/Family||5-9 min.||Disney|
|Pick of the Litter||December 20, 2019||Animals & Nature/Docuseries/Family||27-36 min.|
|Diary of a Future President||January 17, 2020||Comedy/Coming of Age/Family||26-30 min.|
|Short Circuit||January 24, 2020||Animation/Anthology/Family||5-8 min.|
|Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings (Season 2)||February 14, 2020||Docuseries/Family/Lifestyle||36-41 min.|
|Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Season 7)||February 21, 2020||Action-Adventure/Animation/Science Fiction||21-30 min.||Lucasfilm||Cancelled|
|101 Dalmatian Street (U.S. Premiere)||February 28, 2020||Action-Adventure/Animation/Comedy/Coming of Age||23 min.||Disney||Ongoing|
|Marvel's Future Avengers (U.S. Premiere)||Action-Adventure/Animation/Anime/Science Fiction/Superhero||2||23-24 min.||Marvel||Cancelled|
|Shop Class||Competition/Game Show||1||41-45 min.||Disney||Ongoing|
|Disney Insider||March 20, 2020||Anthology/Docuseries||17-23 min.|
|Be Our Chef||March 27, 2020||Competition/Family/Game Show||24-28 min.|
|Prop Culture||May 1, 2020||Docuseries||29-36 min.|
|Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian||May 4, 2020||Action-Adventure/Family/Science Fiction/Talk Show||19-33 min.||Lucasfilm|
|It's a Dog's Life with Bill Farmer||May 15, 2020||Animals & Nature/Docuseries/Family||21-23 min.||Disney|
|The Big Fib||May 22, 2020||Competition/Family/Game Show||22-25 min.|
|Into the Unknown: The Making of Frozen II||June 26, 2020||Docuseries/Family||28-42 min.||Cancelled|
|Rogue Trip||July 24, 2020||Docuseries||34-39 min.||National Geographic||Ongoing|
|Muppets Now||July 31, 2020||Comedy/Family/Lifestyle/Parody/Variety||23-25 min.||Disney|
|Weird But True! (Season 3)||August 14, 2020||Animals & Nature/Kids/Variety||National Geographic|
|Earth to Ned||September 4, 2020||Comedy/Parody/Science Fiction/Talk Show||Disney|
|Becoming||September 18, 2020||Biographical/Docuseries/Sports||24-25 min.|
|The Magic of Disney's Animal Kingdom||September 25, 2020||Animals & Nature/Docuseries/Family||37 min.||National Geographic|
|Zenimation Extended Edition||October 2, 2020||N/A||N/A||N/A||Disney||Unreleased|
|The Right Stuff||October 9, 2020||National Geographic|
|Meet the Chimps||October 16, 2020|
|The Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse||November 18, 2020||Disney|
|Marvel's 616||November 20, 2020||Marvel|
|Inside Pixar||Fall 2020||Pixar|
|Ink & Paint|
|Launchpad: Shorts Incubator|
|Lizzie McGuire (Season 3)|
|The Quest (Season 2)|
|Untitled Chip 'n' Dale Series|
|Untitled SparkShorts documentary||Pixar|
|Earthkeepers||Year 2 (2020–2021)|
|Monsters at Work||Pixar|
|What If...?||Summer 2021||Marvel|
|Just Beyond||Fall 2021||20th Century Studios|
|Doogie Kameāloha, M.D.||2021|
|The Falcon and the Winter Soldier||Marvel|
|Star Wars: The Bad Batch||Lucasfilm|
|Untitled Cassian Andor series|
|Untitled Obi-Wan Kenobi series||Lucasfilm|
|Behind the Attraction||N/A||Disney|
|The Biggest Star in Appleton||20th Century Studios|
|Explorer Academy||National Geographic|
|Life and Deaf||Disney|
|The Night Market|
|Parenting Without Borders|
|People & Places|
|The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder (Season 3)|
|True Lies reboot||20th Century Studios|
|Turner & Hooch reboot|
|Untitled Diary of a Wimpy Kid series|
|Untitled female led Star Wars series||Lucasfilm|
|Untitled Feyenoord docuseries||Disney|
|Untitled Ice Age series||20th Century Studios|
|Untitled Kingdom Hearts series||Disney|
|Untitled Mighty Ducks series|
|Untitled National Treasure series|
|Untitled Nick Fury series||Marvel|
|Untitled Percy Jackson and the Olympians series||20th Century Studios|
|Untitled The Sandlot series|
|Willow sequel series||Lucasfilm|
|Float||November 12, 2019||Animation/Family/Fantasy||9 minutes||Pixar|
|Forky Asks a Question: What is Money?||Animation/Comedy/Family||5 minutes|
|Marvel Studios: Expanding the Universe||Documentary||12 minutes||English||Marvel Studios|
|Smash and Grab||Animation/Buddy/Science Fiction/Survival||8 minutes||Danish/Dutch/English/Finnish/French/German/Italian/Norwegian/Polish/Portuguese/Spanish/Swedish|
|Forky Asks a Question: What is a Friend?||November 15, 2019||Animation/Comedy/Family||5 minutes|
|Forky Asks a Question: What is Art?||November 22, 2019||6 minutes|
|Forky Asks a Question: What is Time?||November 29, 2019|
|Forky Asks a Question: What is Love?||December 6, 2019|
|Forky Asks a Question: What is a Computer?||December 13, 2019|
|Forky Asks a Question: What is a Leader?||December 20, 2019||Animation/Comedy/Family||3 minutes||Dutch/English/French/German/Spanish|
|Forky Asks a Question: What is a Pet?||December 27, 2019||4 minutes|
|Forky Asks a Question: What is Cheese?||January 3, 2020||3 minutes|
|Forky Asks a Question: What is Reading?||January 10, 2020||4 minutes|
|Lamp Life||January 31, 2020||Animation/Comedy/Family|
|Out||May 22, 2020||Animation||9 minutes||English|
|The Undefeated Presents: Hamilton In-Depth with Kelley Carter||July 3, 2020||Historical/Musical/Talk Show||33 minutes||ESPN|
|Once Upon a Snowman||October 23, 2020||N/A||N/A||N/A||Disney|
|The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special||November 17, 2020||Lucasfilm|
- Main article: List of returning programming on Disney+
- Muppets Live Another Day - An original comedy series planned to have featured the Muppets and Josh Gad that would have taken place after the events of The Muppets Take Manhattan.
- Book of Enchantments - An adaptation of Serena Valentino's book series exploring the origins of various Disney Villains in a shared universe setting.
- Kingdom Keepers - An adaptation of the book series to have been headed by Kevin Smith planned to have featured Russell Brand as Captain Hook as the lead villain. Rejected after new management in the division decided it used "too much Disney IP" despite having been greenlit as a "Disney version of the Avengers".
- Untitled Marvel Television series - An untitled series developed by Marvel Television. The series, alonsgide all planned Marvel Television projects that haven't entered production, was cancelled after Marvel Television was folded into Marvel Studios.
- Unannounced Tron show - A show based on the movie of the same name.
- The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter - An animated series based off of the The 23 Original Tales... books by Beatrix Potter was planned for Disney+, but it was cancelled for being too expensive and because Sony released a film adaptation of Peter Rabbit.
- Despite the disclaimer saying that they are presented as created, the version of Fantasia used on Disney+ has Sunflower removed, and The Three Little Pigs has the Big Bad Wolf's Fuller Brush Man disguise instead of the original Jewish peddler disguise. In addition, Santa's Workshop is missing a scene of a black doll that says "Mammy!" while throwing out its arms, a la Al Jolson.
- The banned TaleSpin episodes "Last Horizons" and "Flying Dupes" and the banned Darkwing Duck episode "Hot Spells" are not available on this service (even though the TaleSpin episodes were released on DVD).
- The Toon Disney edits of TaleSpin episodes are used on this service (despite the episodes having been released uncut on DVD).
- Some of Disney's animated films on Disney+ have some minor edits:
- Saludos Amigos has the beginning of El Gaucho Goofy with the cigarette butchered.
- The Sword in the Stone uses the UK release, which partially censors Madam Mim's line: "Sounds like someone's sick. How lovely. I do hope it's serious; something dreadful." The "serious/dreadful" was cut.
- The dryer was replaced by a pizza box in Lilo & Stitch due to concern of children hiding in the dryer (though this edit was already present in the film's UK release).
- Splash is censored, with some of Madison's nude scenes being either cropped or censored by way of digitally extended hair.
- The version of Adventures in Babysitting used on Disney+ is the TV airing version which censors all swearing.
- The National Geographic documentary Free Solo also censors all instances of swearing (including an "F-Word").
- Several animated films have had their original variant of the Walt Disney Pictures logo replaced with the 2006/2011 variant, those films include:
- All episodes of Andi Mack featuring actor Stoney Westmoreland, are unavailable on the service, following his allegations, and subsequent arrest of sexual assault.
- The Simpsons episode "Stark Raving Dad" is unavailable on Disney+, following the release of the documentary film Leaving Neverland, which details allegations against Michael Jackson of child sexual assault.
- The following scenes are cut from all three sections when Treehouse of Horror XIX is on Disney+:
- "Untitled Robot Parody": The appearance of the Sex Toy Robot.
- "How to Get Ahead in Dead-Vertisting": Krusty getting shredded in the woodchipper, Homer strangling, stabbing, and beating Prince with his own guitar, and Krusty shooting Homer in the head.
- "It's The Grand Pumpkin, Milhouse": The Grand Pumpkin puking after learning that pumpkin bread is made of pumpkins (and not bread for pumpkins), The scene where Homer was carving pumpkins and then being eaten after he was found by the Grand Pumpkin, Nelson calling the Grand Pumpkin a racist because he doesn't care that Nelson is going to carve a yellow pumpkin, The Grand Pumpkin scooping the brains out of Skinner's head and Tom Turkey blowing the Grand Pumpkin's brains out by blowing through a cornucopia (along with the Grand Pumpkin's dying words, although with the scene that was cut which involved Homer it might have been done so a plot hole wouldn't have been made at all).
- The Disney Channel original series Wizards of Waverly Place had some scenes of minor cleavage blurred.
- Several Bluey episodes have many content from the original Australian airings changed or removed to suit American audiences (even though the Bluey episodes were originally aired on ABC Kids without any editing changes and later released on DVD in Australia only).
- "Markets" removes the horse taking a poop when Bluey Heeler and Indy run away.
- In another episode, "Chickenrat", the sauerkraut makes Bandit Heeler sneeze (he burped in the original Australian airing of the episode).
- The "BBQ" episode replaces the word "capsicum" (from the original Australian airing) with "pepper".
- The ending of the episode, "Taxi" removes the part where Bingo Heeler pretends to barf on Bandit.
- The episode "Daddy Putdown" is missing the part when Bingo Heeler asks Bandit Heeler how babies get in the mother’s belly. This was removed since, in Disney’s eyes, it was a bit too cheeky and inappropriate.
- The episode "Teasing" uses the AUS September 2020 edited version, where a racial scene with the word "ooga booga" was removed due to a complaint by a viewer stating that the episode included a term with racial connotations and a problematic history for Black people.
- The season 2 episode, "Trains", the line “It’s a piece of poo” was changed to “It’s a slug”.
- The season 2 episode, "Flat Pack" uses the AUS August 2020 edited version, where another racial scene with the word "ooga booga" was also removed.
- The Toy Story 2 outtake of Stinky Pete promising a role in the sequel to two twin Barbie dolls., only to be embarrassed when he realizes that they were shooting the film, and quickly ushers the Barbie dolls out was removed after 2018 to avoid any #MeToo-related controversy.
- In Hamilton, two "F words" were omitted from "Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down)" and "Washington on Your Side"; however a third, partially unfinished one used in "Say No to This" is retained.
- The version of Clock Cleaners used on Disney+ partially restores Donald Duck's argument with the mainspring, where he yells at it, "Says you!" (and it answers back, "Says I!"), but his calling it a "snake in the grass" is replaced with garbled squawking, as was the case when the cartoon was featured on the Walt Disney Treasures DVD set, "Mickey Mouse in Living Color", and beyond.
- The version of Melody Time used on Disney+ fully restores Pecos Bill's cigarette which was seen in American Heroes VHS in the 80's, after being censored since the 50th Anniversary VHS in 1998.
- X-Men: Days of Future Past began streaming on Disney+ in mid-2020, with both nudity and swearing intact.
- The Wolverine began streaming on Disney+ on September 4, 2020, with swearing intact.
- The Fault in Our Stars began streaming on Disney+ on September 25, 2020, with both sexual scenes and swearing intact.
- Aladdin and The Shnookums and Meat Funny Cartoon Show are currently the only shows from the Disney Afternoon that have yet to be made available for streaming on Disney+.
- Jungle Cubs, Pepper Ann, Mickey Mouse Works, The Weekenders, House of Mouse, The Legend of Tarzan, Lloyd in Space, Teamo Supremo, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, and Fillmore! are the only shows from Disney's One Saturday Morning that have not been made available for streaming on Disney+.
- For unknown reasons, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers and Goof Troop (both of which use the HD prints from the digital releases) are presented in cropped widescreen.
- The live-action telefilm Sammy, the Way-Out Seal is heavily edited down to 43 minutes on Disney+.
- Darby O'Gill and the Little People uses a theatrical re-release version with a cropped widescreen aspect ratio and re-dubbed voices that lose the more authentic Irish accents.
- Due to the Disney/21CF buyout, selected family and teen geared films from 20th Century Studios and its subsidiaries can be watched on Disney+.
- Canine Caddy, originally released as a Mickey Mouse cartoon, even though it was officially a Pluto cartoon, has the opening and closing titles replace Mickey's head and name with Pluto's. Oddly, the music used in the opening is replaced by the post-1947 Pluto opening theme.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, certain films which were originally slated as theatrical premieres were instead launched on Disney+ or are slated to launch on Disney+. These include Artemis Fowl and The One and Only Ivan. Onward was released theatrically, but made available on Disney+ two weeks after its theatrical premiere due to closures because of the pandemic. Frozen II was also made available on the service far earlier than originally planned. The live action version of Mulan has been announced a premium release on the service beginning on September 4, 2020 where the service is available, due to the continued closure of theaters in many markets.
- Deep Blue is currently the only Miramax film Disney retains the rights to stream on Disney+, despite Disney selling off the Miramax library in 2010.