Donald Jay "Don" Rickles was an American stand-up comedian, actor, voice actor, and author, who was known especially for his insult comedy.
For Disney, he voiced Mr. Potato Head in the Pixar Toy Story franchise, the Boss in Redux Riding Hood, and William in the former Walt Disney World attraction The Enchanted Tiki Room (Under New Management). He also guest-starred in Muppets Tonight in episode 205, alongside Coolio.
Prior to his death, Rickles had intended to reprise his role as Mr. Potato Head in Toy Story 4, but a representative had stated he did not record any dialogue due to the script still being rewritten at the time. Shortly thereafter, petitions have launched to include Rickles in the film. According to Josh Cooley, his family contacted Pixar to ask if they could still include him, and they managed to assemble enough material to have him reprise his role through 25 years worth of archived recordings (used within the whole franchise and other works), similarly to how archived records of Paul Newman and Tom Magliozzi were used for Doc Hudson and Rusty Rust-eze in Cars 3. The film was dedicated to Rickles.
- Mr. Potato Head in Toy Story
- The Boss in Redux Riding Hood
- William in The Enchanted Tiki Room (Under New Management)
- Out of all the Toy Story cast members, Rickles had the longest running time recording lines for every related media as Mr. Potato Head (25 years).
- Mr. Potato Head's line in Toy Story "What are you lookin' at, ya hockey puck?" is one of Rickles' catchphrases.
- Rickles also starred in Martin Scorsese's film, Casino, which was released on November 22, 1995 (the same day Toy Story was released).
- He was considered to voice Orville in The Rescuers.
- He was also considered to voice Genie in Aladdin.
- "Toy Story 4 Director Confirms Don Rickles Is Voicing Mr. Potato Head". comicbook.com. Retrieved on March 28, 2019.
- Josh Cooley on Twitter