No one knows for sure why a human like Doris lives in a city populated by animals, but she is usually found working for the Weekly World Horsefeather news agency. When Mr. Kane calls Doris to get a scoop about a crime taking place, she goes out into the city to search for her top story. Sometimes, she is met up with Peter Possum, who has a never-ending crush on her.
Unfortunately, Doris usually finds herself in danger, often running into Pith's greatest enemies, such as Dr. Paul Bunion. But in the end, it is usually Pith Possum (Pete's superhero identity) who comes to her rescue just in the nick of time (and gets reluctantly kissed). In one episode, she even rescues Pith and Obediah from being dipped in chicken fat (despite that she drops her heroes into the vat by mistake) and joins with them to defeat Bunion and his giant flying lizard.
However, Doris is usually frustrated by Peter's nerdy behavior. But, on one occasion, Peter did manage to go out on a date with Doris to the Gilded Turnip, an elegant restaurant in Possum City. After he keeps slipping away from dinner to fight crime as Pith Possum too many times, Doris dumps him for Pith, which is worse that she does not know that Pith is Peter's superhero identity. It is unknown what happened to Doris Deer after "Shnookums and Meat" ended.
- "Phantom Mask of the Dark Black Darkness of Black"
- "Darkness on the Edge of Black"
- "Return of the Night of Blacker Darkness"
- "Haunt of the Night of Blacker Darkness"
- "Son of the Cursed Black of Darkness" (Minor role)
- "Return of the Dark Mask of Phantom Blackness" (Final appearance)
- Although Doris Deer had been inspired by Lois Lane from Superman, one animation critic, Juan F. Lara, criticized that her design was similar to that of Hello Nurse from Warner Bros.' Animaniacs.