- “"You'll need an incredibly fast ship, and a brilliant pilot."”
- ―Dryden Vos to Beckett[src]
Dryden Vos is the main antagonist of Solo. He was a powerful, manipulative and ruthless crime lord who was the leader of a criminal organization known as Crimson Dawn. Vos was known for surrounding himself with luxury, and was known for his ruthlessly manipulative personality but he was not a crude cut-throat.
- “...A bigshot gangster...”
- ―Tobias Beckett describes Dryden Vos[src]
Vos was best known as a powerful and manipulative individual, but he was also known for his ruthlessness and luxurious lifestyle, willing to remove any one who stands in his way, portraying Vos as a greedy individual obsessed with wealth and aesthetic. However, he was quite sophisticated - he was neither a crude nor murderous individual - which makes him stand out from other criminals, which Solo and Beckett share in their personalities.
Additionally, Vos was an organized strategist, as he knows how to work with the members of his organization very well, and how best to handle in situations of danger. A cunning tactician, Vos' vast knowledge about spaceships and his enemies makes him one of the most dangerous crime lords in the galaxy.
- Master Tactician: Vos' intellect and strategy are his assets, and this lets him know how to work against enemies or others which desire to harm him. He also knows how to execute his plans, crimes or jobs in the most efficient way.
- Master Manipulator: Vos was widely manipulative, as he will manipulate other individuals in the galaxy to work with or for him, and also to intimidate them on their lives.
Weapons and equipment
- Vast Resources: Due to being such a powerful criminal figure in the intergalactic crime world, Vos had access to an incredible amount of resources which allows him to carry out his plans without experiencing financial problems.
- Energetic Dagger: Vos possesses a red-lighted energetic dagger to kill enemies, but he uses it mild times as he uses only his own men to do "the dirty job".
Role in the film
Beckett reveals he was ordered to steal the shipment for Dryden Vos, a high-ranking crime boss in the Crimson Dawn syndicate. Han and Chewbacca volunteer to help him steal another shipment to repay the debt. They travel to Vos's yacht where Han finds Qi'ra, who has joined Crimson Dawn and is Vos's top lieutenant. Han suggests a risky plan to steal unrefined coaxium from the mines on Kessel; Vos approves but insists that Qi'ra accompany the team.
Enfys explains to Han that she and her crew are not pirates, but rebels trying to prevent the syndicates and Empire from gaining power. Han becomes sympathetic to their cause and tries to trick Vos, but Beckett has already alerted him to the double-cross. Vos sends his guards to kill Enfys, but the Cloud Riders overpower them instead, leaving Vos defenseless. Having anticipated Vos's strategy, Han tries to take the coaxium, only for Beckett to betray Vos, escaping with it and taking Chewbacca hostage. Qi'ra kills Vos and sends Han after Beckett; once alone, she contacts Vos's superior, Maul, to inform him of the mission's failure and claim Vos's position. She avoids speaking of Han's involvement, instead blaming everything on Beckett.
- Prior to Paul Bettany's casting, Michael K. Williams was originally cast. However, he was removed from the final film due to being unable to return to set during the film's reshoots.
- ↑ Michael Kenneth Williams joins young Han Solo film. Star Wars (March 6, 2017). Archived from the original on March 7, 2017.
- ↑ "Michael Kenneth Williams’ Role Cut From ‘Star Wars’ Han Solo Movie Amid Reshoots". Deadline (August 22, 2017).
- ↑ "Michael K. Williams's "Half-Mountain Lion" SOLO Character You Won't Get to See". Nerdist (March 8, 2018).
- ↑ "UPDATE: The Han Solo Spin-Off Adds Paul Bettany to Replace Michael K. Williams" (September 1, 2017).