DuckTales is an animated series by Disney Television Animation based on the original series of the same name. The show premiered on August 12, 2017, making it the first Disney Afternoon show to be revived or rebooted in animation form.
After not speaking to one another for ten years, Scrooge McDuck is reunited with Donald Duck after he and his three nephews Huey, Dewey, and Louie move into McDuck Manor. The presence of the newcomers rekindles Scrooge's spirit of adventure, leading the group to go on many new treasure-hunting expeditions, while the nephews and their new friend Webby uncover the truth behind what caused their uncles to become estranged and retire from adventuring.
- David Tennant as Scrooge McDuck
- Danny Pudi as Huey
- Ben Schwartz as Dewey
- Bobby Moynihan as Louie
- Kate Micucci as Webby Vanderquack
- Tony Anselmo as Donald Duck
- Beck Bennett as Launchpad McQuack
- Toks Olagundoye as Mrs. Beakley
- Paget Brewster as Della Duck
- Margo Martindale as Ma Beagle
- Lin-Manuel Miranda as Fenton Crackshell Cabrera/Gizmoduck
- Paul F. Tompkins as Gladstone Gander
- Jim Rash as Gyro Gearloose
- Allison Janney as Goldie O'Gilt
- Eric Bauza as Beagle Boys
- Catherine Tate as Magica De Spell
- Keith Ferguson as Flintheart Glomgold
- Josh Brener as Mark Beaks
- Corey Burton as Ludwig Von Drake
- Kimiko Glenn as Lena
- Susan Blakeslee as Miss Quackfaster
- David Kaye as Duckworth
- Graham McTavish as Fergus McDuck
- Chris Diamantopoulos as Drake Mallard/Darkwing Duck and Storkules
- Jim Cummings as Jim Starling/Negaduck
- Kari Wahlgren as Roxanne Featherly
- Jennifer Hale as Gabby McStabberson
- Jason Marsden as Hack Smashnikov
- Sam Riegel as Slash Smashnikov
- John Gemberling as Doofus Drake
- April Winchell as Black Heron and Zenith
- Selenis Leyva as M'ma/Officer Cabrera
- Jaime Camil as Don Karnage
- Tom Kenny as Fethry Duck
- Arturo Del Puerto as Panchito Pistoles
- Bernardo De Paula as José Carioca
- Jameela Jamil as Gandra Dee
- Libe Barer as Violet Sabrewing
- Omid Abtahi as Faris D'jinn
- Rob Paulsen as Gibbous
- Retta as the Mystical Harp
- Tress MacNeille as Daisy Duck
- Bill Farmer as Goofy
- Jaleel White as Genie
- Jason Mantzoukas as Steelbeak
- Bebe Neuwirth as Emma Glamour
- Kristofer Hivju as Jormungandr
- Giancarlo Esposito
- Selma Blair
- Stephanie Beatriz
- Doug Jones
- Clancy Brown
- James Marsters
- Hugh Bonneville
- James Monroe Iglehart
- Adam Pally
- TBA as Kit Cloudkicker
- TBA as Molly Cunningham
- TBA as Gosalyn Waddlemeyer
- TBA as Taurus Bulba
- TBA as Santa Claus
- Laura Bailey as Launchpad's Girlfriends ("Quack Pack!")
- Abby Ryder-Fortson as Little Girl Audience Member ("Quack Pack!")
- Noah Baird as Little Boy Audience Member ("Quack Pack!")
- Kari Wahlgren as Audience Members ("Quack Pack!")
- Jeff Bennett as Chip and Dale, Gadget Hackwrench, Monterey Jack (squeaks), and Zipper (buzzes) ("Double-O-Duck in You Only Crash Twice")
A DVD titled Woo-oo! was released on December 12, 2017. It contains the pilot plus all 6 "Welcome to Duckburg" shorts. A second DVD, titled Destination Adventure!, was released on June 5, 2018. It contained the episodes "The Beagle Birthday Massacre!", "The Living Mummies of Toth-Ra!", "The Impossible Summit of Mt. Neverrest!", "The Spear of Selene!", "The Missing Links of Moorshire!", and "Beware the B.U.D.D.Y. System!", plus two episodes of the original show as bonus features.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the show's first season received an approval rating of 100% based on 9 reviews. Chris Hayner from IGN, gave the show a score of 8.5 out of 10, stating "May be aimed at modern young audiences but there's no denying the heart and adventurous spirit it gets from the original series."
This reboot of DuckTales was overall received extremly well, not only for incorporating many creative decisions from recent highly aclaimed animated shows, with Gravity Falls and Star vs. the Forces of Evil being considered major sources of inspiration, but for also resolving some issues of the original 1987 show, such as the personalities of the nephews and Webby being more fleshed out than their original counterparts.
The show was also parised for it's incorporation of elements from the orginal Uncle Scrooge comics, done by Carl Barks, and from other animated shows from The Disney Afternoon lineup, such as inclusion of Darkwing Duck, with many comparing this approach to that of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and for most of these elements feeling natural and not forced.
Because of this, this version of DuckTales tends to be considered an improvement over the original DuckTales in almost every way.
- This is the first time since Quack Pack that Huey, Dewey, and Louie have separate physical appearances, distinct personalities and different voice actors.
- Many aspects of the show's design are based on works by Carl Barks, including the original comics.
- Unlike most of their animated appearances and like the classic comics, the duck characters have white sclerae.
- Tony Anselmo, Corey Burton, Tress MacNeille, Michael Bell, Jim Cummings, Russi Taylor, and Rob Paulsen act as returning cast members from the original series. Anselmo and Burton reprise their roles as Donald Duck and Ludwig Von Drake, while Taylor, Paulsen, and MacNeille's roles from the original series (Huey, Dewey, Louie, and Webby, Gladstone Gander, and Quackfaster) have been recast while Bell's original roles were minor, and the actors provide new character voices as Jim Starling/Negaduck, a younger version of Donald Duck, Gibbous, and Daisy Duck (whom MacNeille has been voicing since 1988), and Quackerjack.
- Della Duck is the only member of the main cast, who is left-handed, as shown in "What Ever Happened to Della Duck?!"
- Co-producer Frank Angones wanted to include Mickey Mouse in the series, but the character has been barred from appearing by Disney executives in-person. Ironically, a reference to the character was featured in the episode "Moonvasion" where he was referred to as "Melon".
- While the television movie premiered in August, the actual series premiered on the same month the original series premiered in 1987.
- Not counting the day, this also coincides with the 30th anniversary of the original series.
- This series marks the animated debuts of Fethry Duck, John D. Rockerduck, Jeeves, Neighbor Jones, Bombie the Zombie, and the nephews' mother, Della Duck.
- Early promo art of the series envisioned Dewey and Webby wearing different clothes, with Dewey having a single shirt with two different shades of blue, and Webby wearing a pink dress similar to the original Disney Afternoon series.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 "EXCLUSIVE: DuckTales Season 3 Premiere Date & Surprise Characters Revealed!". Screen Rant (March 5, 2020).
- ↑ "Disney Channel PR Post". Twitter (April 10, 2020).
- ↑ "DuckTales: Season 1 (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved on February 23, 2018.
- ↑ Hayner, Chris (August 9, 2017). "DuckTales: Season 1 Premiere "Woo-oo!" Review". Retrieved on February 6, 2018.
- ↑ Mickey Mouse in 2017's DuckTales
- DuckTales (2017 series) on Wikipedia
- Oh My Disney: This is Not a Drill: We’re Getting New DuckTales in 2017!