El Capitan Theatre is a fully restored movie palace at 6838 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, CA. It is owned by Pacific Theatres and operated by The Walt Disney Company. It serves as the venue for many Walt Disney Pictures movie premieres. In 2014 the VIP dressing room was renamed the Sherman Brothers' Dressing Room featuring photographs and other memorabilia of the legendary songwriters on the walls. It is still used for VIPs.
Aside from showing the world premier of the 2011 film, The El Capitan Theater also appears in the movie as The Muppet Theater from The Muppet Show. Its outside sign altered to say Muppet Theater while filmed for the movie.
The theatre also appears in the film's sequel.
The theatre was featured in the third installment of the Disney INFINITY series, as part of the Toy Box Hub. When players entered the Theatre, they were able to play and download Toy Boxes, view upcoming Toy Boxes, and watch new episodes of Toy Box TV. Furniture, walls, and flooring from the theatre are also unlocked for use in the player's INterior. After the cancellation of the series, players can still enter the theatre lobby, but are not able to view any previous content.
- The television program Jimmy Kimmel Live!, which airs on ABC, broadcasts from a studio next door to the theater.
- On the opposite side of the theatre is a Disney-managed Ghiradelli franchise that sells Disney memorabilia as well as chocolate.
- Many films that play at the theatre often open with elaborate curtain shows before the movie begins, as well as a performance from an organist.
- The venue also hosts many special themed exhibits or pre-shows based on the film being showcased.
- Disney characters including Winnie the Pooh and Mickey Mouse have stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame directly in front of the building.