Emma offers her heart to the Black Fairy, offering to let her crush it in exchange for the safety of her family. However, when the Black Fairy attempts to crush it, the heart proves resistant and glows. Demanding to know why she cannot kill Emma, both are surprised by Henry, who reveals that the Blue Fairy placed her family's songs inside her.
Listening the music playing on the tape recorder, Emma begins singing about her life, sadly looking back on her time as an orphan. Her resolve strengthened by the new knowledge of how far her parents went to ensure her happiness, Emma picks up tempo and sings with passion that the song in her heart makes her more powerful than the Black Fairy and her wicked magic.
However, the evil fairy shakes her head in denial, trying to kill Emma again, but has her hand repelled much to her horror; now the Savior is immune to having her dark magic. With the power of her song strengthening her magic, Emma manages to free David, Mary Margaret, Hook, Regina, and Zelena from being frozen in time and scares off the Black Fairy.
Once I lived in darkness
Out there on my own
Left to brave the world alone
Everything seemed hopeless
No chance to break free
Couldn't hear the song inside of me
Once upon a time
A song inspired them – be brave
They gave me up because my fate
Was as the one who'd save
The world from your dark magic
And the wicked things you do
They placed a song inside my heart
More powerful than you
Henry Swan: Mom, keep going. You can do it.
All the years of running
No, not anymore
I know what I'm living for
I'm no longer searching
Turns out all along
The answer was inside me
With a song
- As shown in the flashback of Emma's childhood, she attempts to sing for a talent contest at school, but a mean girl in her foster home broke her spirit.
- Emma kept the brief recording she made back then, which was the very song inside her heart.
- Emma's magic grew stronger the more she sang.
- It also protects her from the Black Fairy's evil magic.
- The song sums up Emma's life up till that point, and what still had to do as Savior.