When an adventure with Eda’s staff goes awry, Luz and her friends have to earn the staff back from a mysterious forest creature or lose it forever.
Eda and Luz are at the playground with King, who is trying to claim the slide as his throne, only to be "overthrown" by kindergarteners. While watching from a bench, Eda tells Luz the story of how Owlbert came to be. Turns out she made him from the branch of an ancient tree, and they had been together ever since. Suddenly, Eda has a blackout and for a brief moment finds herself alone in a dark void. When she comes round, Eda urgently gathers everyone back to the Owl House. The blackout was a sign of her curse.
When they get home, a tired Eda lies on the couch to rest. Luz offers to get her elixir and take care of her, but she brushes away her offers assuring that she can handle it herself. She also reminds Luz that she has other arrangements to attend, such as the Grudgeby game between Hexside and Glandus High. So, Luz leaves for Hexside to meet up with Willow and Gus Porter, who are just about leave for the game along with the other Hexsidians. Luz realizes she is not properly dressed. So, he heads into the school and rummages through lost and found box in the cafeteria. She finds a Hexisde sweater skirt, along with a drinking cap and a pair of pompoms. However, when she gets back the Hexsidians had already left. Willow and Gus chose to wait for Luz and got left behind. Since Glandus High is such a long way, there is no chance of them walking or asking Willow's parents for a staff ride. So, Luz suggests using Eda's staff.
Back at the Owl House, Eda has turned into her demon form once again. However, King discovers that she is only partially transformed, making her partially suggestible. She even responds to King's commands which he decides to take advantage of against the kindergarteners. Luz arrives back at the Owl House looking for Eda. She wants her permission to borrow her staff. King hides Eda away gives Luz her the staff, assuring her that Eda approves.
Luz, Willow and Gus take flight to the games, but struggle with controlling the staff. They fly uncontrollably through the woods and crash. Owlbert ends up broken. Hurt by Luz's mistreatment, he detaches himself and flies away. Luz, Willow and Gus chase after him and find themselves at the Bat Queen's nest in a dense part of the forest. They find Owlbert, but the Bat Queen refuses to let them take him. Turns out being careless with staff is a serious offense, and because of this Owlbert no longer trusts Luz. In order to regain his trust, Luz must take on a series of trails, which are impossible to win. However, Luz is determined to get Owlbert back and accepts. The Bat Queen has Willow and Gus wrapped and restrained in webbing, as Luz cannot have any help.
The trails involve milking a spider-demon, removing bee nests, and bathing the Bat Queen's babies, all of which turn out to be extremely difficult and painful. Despite all the difficulties, Luz manages to complete all the trails, showing Owlbert that she is sorry. He finally forgives Luz, but the Bat Queen refuses to let him go. She attacks Luz and chases her out of her nest. In the midst of their battle, Luz discovers that the Bat Queen used to be a palisman. She admits that she was once part a staff that belonged to a giant until she was broken and discarded. After that she devoted herself to protect all the palismans that had been broken and abandoned. Luz tries to convince the Bat Queen that Owlbert is still loved by Eda and his decision to stay is not hers to make. The Bat Queen does not listen, and tries to attack Luz. However, Owlbert steps in to protect her. He is able to convince Bat Queen that he cares for her. So, she lets him return to Luz. Before leaving, Luz asks the Bat Queen about what happened to her owner. She does not remember as it was thousands of years ago. Luz also offers her help if she ever wants to search for the truth, which she thankfully takes into consideration.
Meanwhile, King returns to the playground and uses demon Eda to scare away the kindergarteners and reclaim the slide. However, Eda starts to ignore King's commands and eventually turns on him. King tries to give Eda her elixir, but it does not work for some reason. Just then, Animal Control show up and capture Eda. King rushes to her rescue, apologizes for taking advantage of her, and is able to get her to change back by getting through to her.
Everyone returns home. Luz and Owlbert decide to keep their misadventure a secret, and Eda realizes her elixir is no longer working against the curse.
- Sarah-Nicole Robles as Luz Noceda
- Wendie Malick as Eda Clawthorne
- Dee Bradley Baker as Eda's curse form
- Alex Hirsch as King
- Issac Brown as Gus Porter
- Tati Gabrielle as Willow Park
- Isabella Rossellini as Bat Queen
- The headpieces of witch staffs are called Palismans.
- This episode reveals that there are other schools beside Hexside that teach magic.
- Grudgeby is clearly a play on Rugby, which is closely related to American Football.
- Eda reveals that she made Owlbert.
- This is the first episode where Hooty is seen but does not speak.
- The Bat Queen is revealed to be a Palisman.
- Eda's elixir used to undo her curse no longer works.
- Although this episode premiered in 2020, it was produced in 2019 according to the credits.
- This episode completed production on October 18, 2019.
- In the Russian release, the episode is re-titled "Totem Rescue".
- When King was on the street while catching up to cursed Eda, the 10th code was revealed on one of the wanted posters: it gets cracked into "S-T-OH-N" and translated into "Stone".
- When King tries to get away from Eda and gets tangled up in the rope ladder, Eda's talons appear white instead of grayish brown.
- March 22, 2020 (Canada)
- April 23, 2020 (Latin America)
- May 8, 2020 (Southeast Asia)
- August 21, 2020 (United Kingdom)
- October 5, 2020 (Japan)
- February 5, 2021 (Italy) (Premiere on Disney+)
- April 18, 2021 (Portugal)