- The Eta Hiss Hiss has been around since the beginning of Monsters University and the members are as mysterious as they are terrifying. The HSS sisters might be pale, mysterious and sullen, but these intimidating Goth girls are fierce competitors and tough as nails. Fittingly, their most distinguished alumna is one of the most powerful, scary monsters on campus who every new Scare students strive to impress - Dean Hardscrabble.
Role in the film
HSS appears as one of the sororities competing in the Scare Games. During the party at Roar Omega Roar's franernity house, the sisters of HSS slow-dance to the music and bear witness to the humiliation of Oozma Kappa; unlike virtually everyone else present, they show only shock and horror at it and do not laugh. HSS make it further than any other sorority, but are eliminated (they resorted to typical monster hiding places like behind a curtain, under a table, and up a chimney, all are off limits) in the Hide And Sneak event.
- Their abbreviation (HSS) is a reference to the sound 'hiss'. Hissing is often associated with creatures such as spiders and snakes, which links to the sorority's dark style. It is parodied from either one of these Greek abbreviation: "ΗΞΞ": Eta Xi Xi, or "ΗΨΨ": Eta Psi Psi.
- According to the Monsters University Fearbook and Monsters University Essential Guide, it is revealed that the HSS members are also an award-winning a cappella group. Also, their singing parts would be consisting of Rosie singing lead vocals (Because of her treadmark snake tongue and hissing sound and her being iconic of the sorority as well as being the leader), Nadya singing alto and high tenor, Sonia singing normal tenor, Rhonda singing bass, Susan singing baritone and Nancy singing countertenor and providing vocal percussion.
- Rosie and Nadya are the only HSS members to speak in the film. All of the other HSS girls were only heard hissing.
- In early concept art, it was revealed that Claire Wheeler was originally going to be a member of the sorority.
- HSS is a possible reference to the band KISS, due to the dark styles and similar sounding names.
- Despite their scary appearance and nature, it is hinted that the HSS girls are much nicer than they appear as they are the only ones at the party who do not laugh at the humiliation of Oozma Kappa. This would tie in with their alumna Dean Hardscrabble, who was revealed at the end to be a lot nicer and more caring than she let on.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from the Pixar Wiki. The list of authors can be seen in the page revision history (view authors). As with Disney Wiki, the text of the Pixar Wiki is available under the CC-BY-SA license.|