Penn questions the importance of their mission when the team is tasked with finding Rufus, an unpopular royal fish.
- The title "Fish and Chips" is, of course, a reference to the popular, chiefly English, hot dish consisting of fried battered fish and fried potato wedges.
- Ocean World is visited for the second time in this episode, the first time being "Chicken or Fish?".
- Boone is shown to have gotten over his fear of water in this episode.
- Oceanaquariopolis is revealed to be in a fish tank at a restaurant near the ocean.
- While previously merman Penn was shown slithering on his tail like a snake on land, in this episode he hops on his fin instead.
- The picture wall of fame in the lobby of the Odyssey is seen again, including another picture with Penn facing a man-eating burrito like in "I'm Super!".
- Larry tries to start up an underwater musical, much to Rippen's annoyance, which is a reference to the film The Little Mermaid.