Flowers and Trees is a Silly Symphony that marked the first Disney animated short to be made in color. It was the first commercially released film to be produced in the full-color three-strip Technicolor process, after several years of two-color Technicolor films.
Flowers and Trees was already in production as a black-and-white cartoon before Walt Disney saw Herbert Kalmus' three-strip Technicolor tests. Deciding that Flowers and Trees would make a perfect test for the process, he had the black-and-white footage scrapped, and had the short redone in color. The color Flowers and Trees was a commercial and critical success, winning the first Academy Award for Animated Short Subjects.
As a result of the success of Flowers and Trees, all future Silly Symphonies cartoons were produced in three-strip Technicolor, and the added novelty of color helped to boost the series' previously disappointing returns. Disney's other cartoon series, the Mickey Mouse shorts, were deemed successful enough not to need the extra boost of color, and therefore remained in black-and-white until 1935's The Band Concert.
Disney's exclusive contract with Technicolor, in effect until the end of 1935, forced other animators such as Ub Iwerks and Max Fleischer to use Technicolor's inferior two-color process or a competing two-color system such as Cinecolor.
It's spring, and the flowers, mushrooms, and trees do their calisthenics. Some trees play a tune, using vines for harp strings and a chorus of robins. A nasty looking hollow tree does battle with a much healthier looking tree for the attentions of a female tree, and starts a fire in the process.
- Disneyland, episode #2.6: "The Story of the Silly Symphony"
- The Mickey Mouse Club, March 11, 1958
- The Ink and Paint Club, episode #1.1: "Award Winners"
- The Ink and Paint Club, episode #1.29: "Goin' Outside With the Silly Symphonies"
- Donald's Quack Attack, episode #82
- Treasures from the Disney Vault, June 28, 2016
- Walt Disney Cartoon Classics: Disney's Best - 1931-1948 (VHS)
- Walt Disney Treasures: Silly Symphonies (DVD)
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Diamond Edition (Blu-Ray)
- Disney+, November 12, 2019