After waking up from a nightmare in which he is forced into a fight with Cassandra, the Captain of the Guards realizes that he cannot face off against his daughter. So with a heavy heart, he decides to retire from his position as Captain of the Guards and appoints Eugene his successor. Having seen how much Eugene has changed over the years, the Captain sees him as the perfect man for the job, and so does everyone else. Eugene, however, does not seem so sure about accepting the position and needs time to think about it. However, his time to think it over is interrupted when a thief who has taken his former identity, Flynn Rider, has stolen Rapunzel's tiara. Unable to think of anything else and feeling insanely upset and jealous, Eugene sets out with Rapunzel, Maximus and Pascal to find and capture the new "Flynn Rider", appointing Lance Strongbow as acting Captain until he returns.
Eugene and the others soon find the impostor and quickly capture him thanks to Rapunzel's frying pan and hair. Unbeknown to them, they are secretly being followed by a mysterious figure who turns out to be the Baron. It turns out that he had been through rough times since their last encounter. He has lost everything in his life and is now seeking revenge on Eugene, blaming him for his misfortune, but captures the impostor instead. Eugene, Rapunzel, Maximus and Pascal follow the Baron to his hideout.
Eugene soon finds himself in a chamber where the Baron has shackled the impostor to a stake. The Baron shackles Eugene to the same stake and floods the chamber, intending to drown both the original and the new "Flynn Rider". At that time, the impostor apologizes and admits he was inspired by Eugene's former life and reputation. He wanted that for himself, believing his life as Brock Thunderstrike meant nothing. Eugene unshackles Brock, but Brock leaves Eugene to drown until Pascal comes to unshackle Eugene. Eugene is again captured by the Baron, who is about finish him off. Just then, Brock returns with a change of heart and knocks out the Baron with the frying pan, saving Eugene.
Afterward, Eugene, with persuasion from Rapunzel, decides to allow Brock to go straight, as long as Brock does not let his real name go to waste. Back at Corona Castle, after throwing the Baron in jail, Eugene accepts his new title as the Captain of the Guard.
- Mandy Moore as Rapunzel
- Zachary Levi as Eugene Fitzherbert
- James Monroe Iglehart as Lance Strongbow
- Jeremy Jordan as Varian
- Chris Diamantopoulos as Flynn Rider/Brock Thunderstrike
- Lance Henriksen as The Baron
- Eden Espinosa as Cassandra (nightmare only)
- Clancy Brown as King Frederic
- Julie Bowen as Queen Arianna
- M.C. Gainey as Captain of the Guards
- Vivian Vencer as Angry/Kiera
- Ruby Jay as Red/Catalina
- Sean Hayes as Pete
- Diedrich Bader as Stan
- The title is a play on the word "impostor".
- This is the last episode where the ending theme, 'More of Me' plays on the end credits.
- It is revealed in this episode that the reason why Eugene’s wanted posters were painted wrong was because the editor had broken glasses.
- When Rapunzel says "Talk about your fixer upper." it's a reference to Timon saying it from The Lion King.
- Lance gets temporary hearing loss during this episode.
- This episode marks the third time Rapunzel's tiara has been stolen.
- It also reveals that Eugene's attempted theft of the tiara was so he could give it to the Baron.
- Rapunzel finally realizes Eugene's intention of bringing her to The Snuggly Duckling when they first met.
- The Baron mentions Eugene and Stalyan's past relationship
- Rapunzel also mentions that Stalyan has moved on from Eugene.
- There are several references to Tangled.
- Eugene recalls how he had previously stolen Rapunzel's tiara when the crime is re-enacted.
- When Eugene and Maximus are pursuing "Flynn Rider", it is exactly the same as when the Captain of the Guards and Maximus chased Eugene.
- Pascal awakens "Flynn Rider" by licking his ear, just like he did to Eugene.
- Rapunzel ties up "Flynn Rider" with hair, just like she did to Eugene.
- When "Flynn Ryder" wakes up and sees Rapunzel, he says, "Hi. The name's Flynn Rider," and flirts with her, just like Eugene did when he first met Rapunzel.
- When "Flynn Rider" escapes from The Snuggly Duckling, it is a reference to when Rapunzel and Eugene escaped.
- "Flynn Rider" confessed about his name to Eugene like how Eugene did to Rapunzel in the movie.
- After "Flynn Rider" knocks the Baron out with a frying pan, he says, "Oh mamma, I have got to get me one of these." These are exactly the same words said by Eugene after knocking out the Captain of the Guards.
- It is also a line said in the movie Independence Day by one of the film's heroes, played by Will Smith.
- When "Flynn Rider" calls Eugene "Big Ears", it references to when Eugene was addressed by that alias in "The Alchemist Returns".
- From this episode onward, Eugene begins wearing a royal guard uniform, replacing it as his main outfit for the remainder of the series.