He is first seen arriving before Jafar and giving a thousand apologies to the patient one for being late. He mentioned having to slit a few throats in order to obtain the other half of the Golden Scarab Beetle but refuses to hand it over to Jafar until the latter pays the treasure he promised. Iago, however, snatches the scarab for Jafar, who promises Gazeem that "[he'll] get what's coming to [him]." As soon as the halves form together, the beetle glows with magic and flies off to the Cave of Wonders and Jafar and Gazeem both follow on horseback to where the Cave forms. Jafar tells him that he can have any treasure he likes but the lamp is his. Gazeem peers down its mouth, only to be knocked back, as it demands to know who woke it up. After Gazeem introduces himself, the Cave gives him and Jafar a cryptic warning: "Only one may enter here, one who's heart lies far within…the 'Diamond in the Rough'." Confused, Gazeem turns to Jafar (who's just as perplexed as he is). Jafar just orders Gazeem to continue. Gazeem takes one baby step and breathes a sigh of relief, when suddenly the Cave violently shakes. Gazeem screams and turns to try to run, but the Cave slams its mouth shut on top of him, killing him instantly, and Jafar and Iago are left behind.
Following Gazeem's demise, the Cave demands the "Diamond in the Rough", leading Jafar to realize that "Gazeem was obviously less than worthy" and that he must find this certain person whom the Cave considers the "Diamond in the Rough". Neither Jafar nor Iago feel any remorse for Gazeem's death as they begin their search for the "Diamond in the Rough".
- His name is a reference to the brother of the title character in Ali Baba, a tale from the same collection of Aladdin: Arabian Nights.
- He was a boss in the Aladdin Sega Genesis, SNES, and Game Boy video game, in the third level.
- This character does not make an appearance in the Broadway musical production.
- Upon first gazing upon the Cave of Wonders, Gazeem briefly utters "By Allah...". "Allah" is the Arabic term for "God" and the deity of Muslim religion.
- In a deleted scene it is revealed that Gazeem actually retrieves the lamp from within the collapsed Cave of Wonders and uses his wishes to make himself rich and handsome, leading him to return to Agrabah under the alias of Prince Achmed.
- In the 2019 remake of Aladdin, Gazeem is forced by Jafar's guards into the Cave of Wonders for the lamp and quickly swallowed. While his name is never mentioned and uncredited, it can be assumed he was Gazeem.