Ghibli ga Ippai Collection (ジブリがいっぱい COLLECTION) is a brand created and owned by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment Japan which is used for Studio Ghibli releases and other related products in the country.
Before 1996, Studio Ghibli films were released on Home Media by their then-owner Tokuma Shoten under the "Tokuma Video" label.
In 1996, when Studio Ghibli signed a business alliance with The Walt Disney Company to distribute and market their films worldwide, Buena Vista Home Entertainment Japan created the "Ghibli ga Ippai Collection" as a label for Studio Ghibli-produced movies. Along with this, all the Studio Ghibli films were re-released on VHS under the label starting with My Neighbor Totoro on June 27, 1997. The only acception during this time was Princess Mononoke's Laserdisc release, which was released and sold through Tokuma Shoten.
In 2001, the label expanded to DVDs, and Blu-Rays in 2009. Rental versions of these releases were distributed through Pony Canyon, in partnership with Disney.
Even though the label has "Ghibli" in its name, other Miyazaki and Takahata-made Anime like The Castle of Caglistro and Downtown Story are released under the label, alongside material acquired by Disney through Studio Ghibli for distribution, like the Aardman series Shawn the Sheep, which are released under the Ghibli Museum Library label.
Usage in other regions
Hong Kong based distributor Intercontinental Video also releases products under this label, but despite the fact they also have a distribution partnership with Disney, they aren't branded as Disney products or mention them on the back of the packaging.
The Chinese releases at the moment might be distributed by Disney, as their Chinese distributor also distributes Studio Ghibli products, but it's unknown.
Taiwanese releases released by Disney's Taiwanese distributor Deltamac are also branded under this label. Some releases are branded as Disney, while others aren't in the several countries.
- ジブリがいっぱいCOLLECTION (Ghibli ga Ippai Collection) - Used for Studio Ghibli movies and related works done by Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata.
- 三鷹の森ジブリ美術館ライブラリー (Ghibli Museum Library) - Used for Ghibli-endorsed movies produced by other companies.
- ジブリがいっぱいCOLLECTIONスペシャル (Ghibli ga Ippai Collection Special) - Used for Ghibli-related documentaries.
- ジブリ学術ライブラリー (Ghibli Academic Library) - Used for Ghibli-endorced Documentaries.
- ジブリCINEMAライブラリー (Ghibli Cinema Library) - Used for movies produced by other companies. Replaced with Ghibli Museum Library
- Main article: List of Ghibli ga Ippai Releases