The Goofy How-to series was initially developed as a way to produce Goofy cartoons after Goofy's voice actor, Pinto Colvig, temporarily left the studio during a dispute. It features little dialogue from Goofy, most was pre-recorded or imitated using another actor.
Goofy is seen attempting to fly using a homemade glider, and the assistance of a book. A narrator provides the instructions while he attempts to carry them out. He first attempts to take off by running quickly, but crashes into his gate. Looking for more speed, he attempts to tow the glider. However, it quickly loses altitude when he tries to climb into it.
Taking the book's advice, Goofy resorts to mechanical means of taking off. A bicycle seems promising, but the glider comes off and leaves him behind. He then attempts to skate down a ramp, but ends up flying upside down. A makeshift slingshot appears successful, until he realizes that most of the glider's body was left behind, leaving him with only a chair and a steering column. Luckily, he is wearing a parachute, and bails out. However, he counts so slowly, that he hits the ground (unharmed), before the parachute opens.
Resorting to his own methods, Goofy loads a cannon with numerous forms of explosives. He barely manages to get in the glider before the cannon goes off. Luckily, this attempt is successful; so successful that he is seemingly in orbit around the Earth.
- George Johnson - Goofy
- John McLeish - Narrator
- The short is the inspiration for the Disney California Adventure attraction Goofy's Sky School.
- Goofy would be seen in his glider in the House of Mouse episode "Donald Wants to Fly".
- While this is the first individually released "How To" cartoon, the first/prototype of the series was How to Ride a Horse, which was released as part of the film The Reluctant Dragon earlier in 1941.
- The New Mickey Mouse Club, March 15, 1977
- Good Morning, Mickey, episode #62
- Come Fly with Disney
- An All New Adventure of Disney's Sport Goofy
- Mickey's Mouse Tracks, episode #59
- Donald's Quack Attack, episode #92
- The Ink and Paint Club, episode #1.35: "More Sports Goofy"
- Walt Disney Cartoon Classics: Limited Gold Editions: The World According to Goofy (VHS/Laserdisc)
- Walt Disney Treasures: The Complete Goofy (DVD)
- Walt Disney's Funny Factory, Vol. 3: With Goofy (DVD)