A science exposition is held in Corona, and Cassandra has a chance to be on guard duty, but she must finish her Lady-in-waiting obligations first. Varian makes a deal with Cassandra that he will help finish her chores if she agrees to assist him in his demonstration. However, Cassandra accepts the assignment to guard the famous scientist who is judging the contest and thus is unavailable to help. When things go wrong, though, she chooses her friend over duty. Meanwhile, Rapunzel tries to make an entry for the science fair. Varian shows Cassandra and Rapunzel the strange Black Rocks outside his village, much like the ones that made Rapunzel's hair grow back. Varian decides to help Rapunzel and Cassandra in discovering the mystery of these rocks and the connection between them and the newfound magical abilities of Rapunzel's regrown hair.
- Mandy Moore as Rapunzel
- Zachary Levi as Flynn Rider
- Eden Espinosa as Cassandra
- Jeremy Jordan as Varian
- Jessica St. Clair as Fernanda Pizazzo
- Barry Bostwick as Doctor St. Croix
- Jeffrey Tambor as Big Nose
- Paul F. Tompkins as Shorty
- M. C. Gainey as Captain of the Guards
- Sean Hayes as Pete
- Diedrich Bader as Stan
- Ping Wu as Stilt Inventor
- The character Fernanda Pizazzo resembles a fortune teller character present in early concepts of Tangled.
- The name of this episode is a play on Charles Dickens's novel Great Expectations.
- Eugene mentions the time when Varian's machine almost destroyed him, Varian, Rapunzel and Cassandra in "What the Hair?!".
- It's revealed that Varian has a crush on Cassandra. The episode shows that he is trying to impress her without actually telling her he likes her. Varian does end up impressing Cassandra with his invention.
- When Pascal picks up the top of the sliced carrot, Rapunzel's Safety Slicer instantly shows two blades and the green from the carrot.
- The first place ribbon that Cassandra gave to Varian is gone when he shows them the Black Rocks that sprouted near his village.