Satan, in the form of Ms. Beelzebub (Rhea Perlman), sends apprentice demon Griffelkin (Friedle) to Earth's surface to steal the soul of a hotshot young hockey player named Dave (Lawrence), who aspires to be the youngest man to ever win the Stanley Cup.
Dave and Griffelkin reach a very specifically-worded agreement whereby Dave's soul is forfeit in exchange for a Stanley Cup championship for the Delaware Demons, which is Dave's team at the time. After the deal is done, however, Griffelkin also arranges for Dave to be traded to The Annapolis Angels, the last-place team in the league, allowing Griffelkin to fulfill his end of the bargain without actually allowing Dave to win the Stanley Cup himself. He later chooses to help Dave as revenge against Ms Beelzebub for her mean collapsible chair trick and because of his reformation, choosing the to side with Good. An Angel named Gabriele tells Griffelkin that Dave's soul can be saved if the Angels win the Stanley Cup. Dave then realizes that the only way to save his soul is to become a true team player and help his new teammates improve enough to defeat the Demons in the Stanley Cup finals. The Demons lose the Stanley Cup, The Angels win and the deal is off. Griffelkin decides to join Gabriele, who tells him he has a few things he must do to earn his wings. Then Satan/Ms Beelzebub, enraged at her defeat and at Griffelkin for helping Dave win, madly goes back to Hell in a fit of rage.
- Will Friedle as Griffelkin
- Matthew Lawrence as Dave Heinrich
- Gabrielle Union as Gabrielle
- Shawn Pyfrom as Lewis
- Tara Spencer-Nairn as Anne
- Kim Greist as Marie Antoinette
- Rhea Perlman as Satan/Ms. Beelzebub
- Ms. B mentions Old Harry as being her only superior.
- Gabby was a double agent, likely having helped convert previous agents of hell to the side of good.
- Hell technology fries out when used for good.