Hal is a character in the 2008 Disney/Pixar animated feature film, WALL-E. He also makes a cameo in Ratatouille and Wreck-It Ralph.
Role in the film
He is a cockroach that is WALL-E's friend and pet. Hal is extremely resistant: although he gets stepped on by WALL-E and shot by EVE, he suffers no harm.
Hal likes eating Kremies as his food. He stays on Earth when WALL-E leaves the planet because WALL-E orders him to do so.
After the Axiom landed on Earth, Hal quickly approached the broken WALL-E and EVE, and returned to WALL-E's transport vehicle.
- Although Hal is never referred to on-screen by name, he is named after producer Hal Roach. This also provides homage to HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey.
- The chirps that Hal makes were created by speeding up sounds made by a raccoon.
- Hal and the Kremies he eats/sleeps in references the myth that roaches and Twinkies (what inspired Kremies) are the only things that can survive the apocalypse.
- Hal makes a cameo in Ratatouille in Linguini's Apartment.
- Hal also makes a cameo in Wreck-It Ralph, when Ralph looks for a medal in Tapper's washroom.