"House of Tomorrow" is the second episode of The Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse.
Professor Ludwig Von Drake leads Mickey and his pals on a tour outside of the house. Mickey is very excited to experience “Tomorrow’s technology today,” but when he asks Von Drake when they can see it, he says “Tomorrow, because that’s when it opens.” When the Artificial Intelligence opens the door while Von Drake isn’t looking, Mickey convinces Donald and Goofy to sneak inside with him.
Inside the house, the AI (voiced by Alan Tudyk) starts to fulfill all of their needs. He cleans Mickey up and feeds him breakfast and puts Donald in a relaxation chamber. But things get a little complicated when Goofy starts spitting out needs at a rapid pace, causing the house to overload. Mickey tells Goofy to just do one need at a time, causing the goof to have a panic attack trying to pick just one.
Excited by the high tech house, Mickey sings the Sherman Brothers classic “There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow". But Mickey’s first annoyance with the house comes when he’s trying to read Bambi and the AI ruins the ending. The AI goes overboard trying to meet their needs, getting rough with Donald’s massage and intervening when Mickey tries to bake cookies for Minnie. It forces Mickey to write a lot of poems for Minnie and then puts him in a room full of paintings the AI has created, one of which is a photo of one of the first Minnie Mouse costumes, which Mickey is understandably frightened by.
As the AI loses control and traps the gang inside, Mickey gets the idea to overload it by giving Goofy permission to bombard it with needs. When Mickey, Donald and Goofy flood the A.I. with needs, rather than exploding or shutting down, it simply tosses them out on their keisters.
Cast and Characters
- Chris Diamantopoulos as Mickey Mouse
- Tony Anselmo as Donald Duck
- Corey Burton as Ludwig Von Drake
- Bill Farmer as Goofy
- Alan Tudyk as House of Tomorrow
- Bambi (cameo in the cover of the book)
- Minnie Mouse (cameo as a painting)
- The episode is set within the Monsanto House of the Future, one of the earlier attractions of Tomorrowland in Disneyland.
- One of the AI's disturbing portraits of Minnie is a photo of a 1930s-era Mickey Mouse Club costume of her.
- The same music from Down the Hatch and Outta Time can be heard in the title.
- Mickey and the House sing "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow", first introduced in the Carousel of Progress at the 1964 New York World's Fair.
- At one point, Mickey attempts to read Bambi. The opening score is briefly sampled during this scene. Bambi himself is in the cover of the book, and the House of Tomorrow mentioned Bambi's mother by spoiling her death to Mickey before finishing the book.