"Houseghosts" is the eleventh episode of The Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse. It is also the first episode of the second half of season 1.
When several ghosts are left without a home to haunt, Mickey invites them to stay.
Mickey Mouse is out for a stroll when he is trampled by a mob of his neighbors who are on their way to tear down the haunted house at the end of the street because they spooked up the entire neighborhood by smashing all their windows and giving them wet willies. If it looks familiar, it’s because it’s from the classic 1937 short Lonesome Ghosts. As the house is torn down, the three ghosts look dejected as they wander away homeless. Mickey takes pity on them as one of the ghosts mocks him by transforming his face into an angry skeleton whose face resembles the Hatbox Ghost from The Haunted Mansion. One of the ghosts feel sorry for Mickey because they wanted that house for years but now they got nowhere to go and they began to cry. Mickey invites the ghost trio to live with him while they look for a new place. Entering Mickey’s house, their host goes upstairs to take a nap as the ghosts do some redecorating. When Mickey wakes up and comes back downstairs, he is horrified by what he sees. The ghosts also got Mickey a present in the form of a rectangular hole in his floor and a tombstone with his name and likeness on it. In a montage of Mickey trying to go about his life with his new houseguests, when he picks up a bone for Pluto in the backyard, an entire skeleton (from The Skeleton Dance) comes out with it. Mickey gets out of the house for a bowling date with Minnie, who is very concerned about her favorite mouse. When Mickey gets back inside, more skeletons have materialized and are dancing all over the place. Seance ghosts from The Haunted Mansion are playing instruments and gargoyle candelabras have been installed. The ghosts are watching TV, flipping through the channels and Mickey interrupts as they land on Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow. Mickey makes it clear that the ghosts should be looking for a new place to live, but they ignore him. When Minnie stops over with a plate of cookies and tells Mickey that he’s “Too sweet,” he gets an idea. Redecorating his home in candy-colored pink and dressing in cute outfits, Mickey and Minnie sing a song about candy and frightens the ghosts away. Later, Mickey and Minnie are out for a walk when a tree gets chopped down and a family of angry racoons become homeless. Mickey wants to help them.
Cast and Characters
- Chris Diamantopoulos as Mickey Mouse
- Kaitlyn Robrock as Minnie Mouse & Redhead Woman
- Bill Farmer as Pluto & Realtor
- Jeff Ross as one of the Lonesome Ghosts
- Paul Rudish as Pig Man & Duck Man
- Christopher Syn (stock footage)
- The Lonesome Ghosts had first appeared in the 1937 short Lonesome Ghosts, although there were four ghosts in the short. The ghosts also made various cameo appearances in pervious tv series.
- The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh appears on the Lonesome Ghosts' television while they are channel surfing.
- Decor from both The Haunted Mansion and the Museum of the Weird appear in Mickey's house after the Lonesome Ghosts take over. The Skeletons from The Skeleton Dance and The Haunted House also appear.
- This is the first episode to air in 2021.