Like all "How To" Disney shorts, this one opens with a narrator explaining how to fish, with Goofy acting as the visual narrator. This short film does not have a plot; all the facts are jumbled together, with several humorous facts and clips.
There are similarities between this cartoon and How to Ride a Horse, as both are framed as being presented inside a book of the same name, with the punchline of the short being an animal on the front cover coming to life and having the last laugh.
- Disneyland, episode #3.6: "The Goofy Cavalcade of Sports"
- The Mouse Factory, episode #1.6: "The Great Outdoors"
- Good Morning, Mickey, episode #65
- Mickey's Mouse Tracks, episode #39
- Donald's Quack Attack, episode #32
- Have a Laugh!, episode #44
- Walt Disney Cartoon Classics: Sport Goofy's Vacation (VHS)
- Everybody Loves Goofy (VHS/DVD)
- Walt Disney Treasures: The Complete Goofy (DVD)
- Walt Disney's Classic Cartoon Favorites, Vol. 3: Starring Goofy (DVD)
Have a Laugh! changes
The following scenes were deleted from the short release due to time constraints:
- The entire opening with the zodiac sign and Goofy at home; it opens with the shot of the mountain.
- The description of the mountain trout.
- Goofy failing to approach a stream quietly and getting his hat eaten by fish.
- Goofy trying, but failing spectacularly, to cast the lure.
- This being the second "How to" title, this shares some similarities with How to Ride a Horse, being the short taking place in a book, with the pages turning, and at the end, the animal having the final laugh (in the previous short, the horse, in this short, the fish).
- The animation of Goofy snoring is reused from The Art of Skiing.