An analysis of the game of golf, the Goofy way.
A scene where Goofy mimes shooting himself with his finger and somehow ends up actually shooting a bullet out of it is often edited out in TV showings.
- When this short was released, The Film Daily called it "highly hilarious", and gave the following review:
"This, another of Walt Disney's Technicolor cartoons featuring the Goof, is a howl. While the narrator explains how properly to play golf, the Goof attempts to demonstrate. Naturally he does everything wrong, with superb results from a comedy point of view. The technique and animation are noteworthy indeed. Mark this down as a topflight booking of its kind."
- Pinto Colvig - Goofy
- Fred Shields - Narrator
- Disneyland, episode #3.6: "Goofy's Cavalcade of Sports"
- Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color, episode #10.23: "In Shape with Von Drake"
- The Mouse Factory, episode #1.17: "Sports"
- Good Morning, Mickey, episode #60
- Mickey's Mouse Tracks, episode #53
- Donald's Quack Attack, episode #38
- The Ink and Paint Club, episode #1.35: "More Sports Goofy"
- Have a Laugh!, episode #60
- Walt Disney Cartoon Classics: Volume 4 - Sport Goofy (VHS/laserdisc)
- Walt Disney Treasures: The Complete Goofy (DVD)
Have a Laugh! changes
The following scenes were cut from the short version due to time constraints:
- The entire first third of the cartoon, with Goofy choosing a club, teeing up the ball, and learning to swing; it opens with Goofy hitting the golf ball to the hole in preparation for the putt.
- Part of Goofy sizing up the elements in preparation for the putt with a bomb sight, while the narrator mentions "drift indication, lay of the land, [and] trajectory angle".
- Goofy licking the tip of his pencil as part of his "mental calculation".
- Goofy pretending to shoot himself with his finger over missing the putt.
- Goofy incorrectly hitting the ball so that it lands in the rough, where he learns to "always play the ball where it lies".
- Goofy's encounter with a lawn sprinkler as he tries to hit the golf ball from off of it.
- The chase with the bull is shortened considerably; it cuts from the run-in with the number 7 flag to Goofy, the stick figure and the bull all arriving at "the 19th hole".
- "Reviews of the New Films." Film Daily. 5/10/44. p13.