Howard can be described as a loyal, loud-mouthed lazy guy. He is also very emotional when his food is ruined or damaged. It is also revealed that he is aware he is less intelligent than Randy since he laughed with Randy when Randy suggested for Howard to try and come up with an idea, though he has shown some intelligence, as he knew how many Scoville units a Habanero pepper was in "McFists of Fury". He can also be a jerk, as shown in "So U Think U Can Stank" when he aggressively rejects participants for little to no reason, thus turning them into monsters. He also gets angry at Randy often, since it appears that his fault is the cause of their arguments.
Howard, unlike Randy, is somewhat more chubby, which comes from laziness. He has orange hair like his sister Heidi and brown eyes. He is almost always wearing a T-shirt with a squid on it.
Role in the series
Howard has been Randy's best friend for a long time. During the summer vacation before school began, they both played Grave Puncher, Grave Puncher II, and Grave Puncher 3.
Last Stall on the Left
When they first came to school and had to write a 500-word essay, Howard asks Randy if he can copy his. Randy says no because he does not want them to turn in the same essays. Mr. Bannister then throws his right shoe at Howard because he talked.
The next day, they get out of class, and he starts talking about how the ninja had not shown up yet. Randy says that it does not really matter, but then Howard states that they are his number one fan.
During lunch, Randy goes to the bathroom. Howard then yells to him that he will eat his tater tots if Randy does not get out. Randy then Smoke Bombs in wearing the ninja suit. He tells everybody that he should be able to fight a monster anytime. He is about to leave when Howard holds onto him and tells him to wait until Randy gets out of the bathroom.
Krackenstein then attacks, and Randy gets knocked into a locker. Howard texts Randy that the ninja was getting pwned.
When class begins again, Howard tells Randy that they were supposed to meet the ninja together. He also says that he thought the ninja was terrible. Randy states that there is no encyclopedia of how to be a ninja, which gives him the idea that he should look in the NinjaNomicon. Randy says that he has to go to the bathroom, but actually goes home to check the NinjaNomicon.
When class is over, Howard finds the Krackenstein and releases it so he can see the ninja again. He meets Randy and tells him about what he did. Krackenstein destroys the wall, and they both go out to see Krackenstein destroy Principal Slimovitz's car. Randy gets away from Howard and turns into ninja mode. Howard then watches Randy fight Krackenstein and this time win.
They then meet behind the school, where Randy tells him that he is the ninja.
He and Randy are best friends, although they have arguments, and they always forgive each other, they always forgive each other. Both have been friends for a long time, such as playing with ninja sword toys when they were younger. They share many interests, like video games and music. While at first, Howard is excited when he found out Randy was the Ninja, he eventually comes to feel like it is ruining any chance of them having fun or earning popularity. It also annoys him that Randy has to NNS (standing for Ninja No-Show) constantly, and fight the evil at hand before other things that Howard finds important, like their grades and video games, can be achieved. Unlike some best friends to heroes, Howard doesn't always support Randy and shows little compassion, mercy, or understanding towards Randy's issues as the Ninja. Whenever a problem occurs, Howard usually tries to blame Randy for problems, even when it's obviously his own fault, like in "Gossip Boy". Other times, Howard will abuse the friendship for his own benefit, whether it be lying to Randy about being late just to buy him some food, or getting Randy to use his powers to fix a problem. Even when Randy is trying to help him, Howard doesn't always appreciate it, especially in "Escape from Detention Island". When Randy messes up, Howard is a lot less likely to genuinely forgive him than vice versa. But he still honestly thanks Randy for saving him, albeit Randy's fault causing the situation in the first place, in "Evil Spirit Week", and truly means he apologizes when he actually gives them.
Howard is not very fond of his sister. Her popularity and success at everything extremely frustrate him. In "30 Seconds to Math", he wants to beat her at the Battle of the Bands, and in "Grave Puncher: The Movie!", he laughs at her when she fell over while practicing for her drivers' test. They both argue with each other a lot, not afraid to use cutting remarks or insults. Howard admits he always expected his sister was a dog when she gets stanked in "Sorcerer in Love 2: The Sorceress's Revenge", while she threatens him with blackmail, like in "So U Think U Can Stank". However, he cares for her enough to be horrified and disgusted when NomiRandy flirts with her in "Shloomp! There It Is!" and when Randy admits he finds some things about Heidi attractive in "Welcome Back Catfish".
Howard and Theresa do not interact much but seem to get along alright. He is jealous when Randy convinces both Theresa and Debbie that he isn't afraid of anything, and Theresa gives him her McFizzles to make him stop crying in "Night of the Living McFizzles". Like the rest of the school, he considers her to be an uncool student, initially not wanting to be sitting at her table in "Der Monster Klub". When Randy and Theresa briefly touch hands and while with the Klub, Howard looks very amused by it. Despite seeming to be aware of Randy and Theresa's affection for one another, Howard doesn't care too much about it, and thinks Theresa was asking him to dance as opposed to Randy in "Sorcerer in Love". He also gets annoyed when Theresa grabs Randy's hand while the boys were arguing in "Sorcerer in Love 2: The Sorceress' Revenge".
Howard does not get along with Debbie Kang too well, considering the fact that the two are polar opposites of each other.
- Howard is the first character in the show to find out that Randy is the Ninja.
- He and Randy has a band named 30 Seconds to Math which is a parody of 30 Seconds To Mars in the episode of the same name.
- He likes to eat, as seen throughout the series.
- He does not like when someone jokes about his grave-punching skills, as shown in "House of 1,000 Boogers".
- Apparently he can't keep a secret, since he said so himself in "Gossip Boy".
- He was dressed as Viceroy for Halloween in "Dawn of the Driscoll" and "Night of the Living McFizzles".
- He was chosen to play the ninja in "Monster Drill" by Principal Slimovitz.
- He likes the school's cafeteria food even if it was made from roadkill.
- He likes to eat as seen in "Gossip Boy" and "30 Seconds to Math".
- Howard usually calls Randy by his last name.
- Howard usually calls Randy "Cunningham", only calling him "Randy" six times in the series' run.
- His Shirt has a squid on it is reference to the picture of squid in the living room of Zim's Base from Invader Zim.
- According to a Tumblr post by RC9GN animatic editor Nico Colaleo, Howard is Jewish.
- Since he does not keep his head covered, he is not an Orthodox Jew; he may be Reform or Conservative, but he is most likely non-practicing (though his family does celebrate Hanukkah, he has no idea of its religious or historical significance).
- He contradicted himself in "House of 1,000 Boogers" and "30 Seconds to Math" about the NinjaNomicon. In "House of 1,000 Boogers", he said that he always liked the Nomicon. In "30 Seconds to Math" he said he always hated the Nomicon.
- He might have a slight crush on Morgan as seen in "Escape from Detention Island".
- He is one of the only characters on the show to have a sibling so far, Heidi.
- In the episode "Escape from Detention Island", it's shown that Howard is really good at making excuses.
- In the episode, "Stanks Like Teen Spirit", Howard is seen to be considerably skilled at chess even though he has no idea what the chess pieces are called.
- Also in said episode, he says "Chess-mate" which promotes the chess-bot to correct him by saying "Check-mate."
- Howard has a lot of family members, so the family members are mentioned off-screen in multiple episodes.
- In "Hip Hopocalypse Now" Its shown that Howard is allergic to dust.
- Howard's worst fear is running out of food, especially chicken-based foods; however, it is unknown if running out of food is hist greatest fear.
- It was revealed by the 9gn tumblr that Howard doesn't know Randy's birthday or that he is 14.
- The boy's lockers often switch around but the placement remains the same, Howard and Randy's lockers are always on the staircases side.
- In "Randy Cunningham and the Sorcerer's Key", he claims that an isosceles triangle doesn't exist and is something he made up. An isosceles triangle actually does exist, it is a triangle with two sides which are equal in length and also has two angles of the same measure.
- In "Randy Cunningham and the Sorcerer's Key", after he helped Randy get the key, he also wants a ninja mask, a sword, and a cape with his suit.
- He temporarily become the ninja in "The Ninja Identity"/"The Ninja Supremacy" after Randy accidentally mind-wipes himself. In said episodes, it is revealed that Howard is a terrible ninja, but less so than Mac Antfee.
- During the second episode, Howard got his own version of the theme song, failing to sing along with the lyrics.
- In "Enter the Nomicon", he dressed up as a girl, the first character to cross-dress in the series.
- Oddly enough Howard's locker had a trench coat in it in "Randy Cunningham's Day Off" and "Ninjception" but it looked nothing like the one he used previously in "McOne Armed and Dangerous".
- He got a McFistPad in "Raiders of the Lost Nomicon", which has since been revealed to be destroyed as seen in "Weinerman Tested, Cunningham Approved".
- He thinks that word duty is funny and laughs every time when he hears it.
- In "Flume-Igation", he admits to having issues being alone.
- Howard goes through Randy's underwear drawer, as revealed in "Julian's Birthday Surprise".
- Howard often uses and borrows Randy's underwear, and at one point, Howard has Randy's underwear for a month.
- Howard might be based on Nick Frost, an English actor.
- His last name means "variant of Weiner". It is also a Jewish surname.
- As revealed in "Bro-ing Down the House", Howard didn't know what a boomerang is. When Randy was hit by a boomerang in the face, Randy thought that Howard knows what a boomerang is; however, he still forgets it.
- His last name is a Yiddish surname meaning "man from Vienna"; the Austrian capital was well-known for its large Jewish population. "Weiner," of course, also is a variant of "wiener," a hot-dog or sausage, and is also a slang word for "a weak, lazy, cowardly person who refuses to participate, particularly in sports or dangerous activities" (as in the phrase, "to wiener out") or simply "an annoying person." "Howard" may hint at "coward."
- Howard is similar to Patrick Star from SpongeBob SquarePants.
- Both are best friend with the main male protagonist, Howard with Randy and Patrick with SpongeBob.
- Howard slightly resembles his voice actor, Andrew Caldwell.
- Andrew stated in an interview that because he yelled all Howard's lines, he often got headaches.
- Apparently his birthday is May 18th (Randy's is still unknown). This would make Howard a Taurus, which astrologically would supposedly indicate a stocky, bull-necked physique, and stubborn, stolid, and rather sensual character.