Doctor Ian Calloway is a scientist who covers up as a civilized man who wants to see his dog, Stan, again. But in secret, he only wants to experiment on him further, in particular what makes him talk.
Ian is shown as an insane and nefarious scientist around Stan, as seen in Stan's flashback, especially when he was a puppy. When he failed to make Stan talk, he would go to the movie and tell him he'd be back at 11:00 (11:15 if there was traffic). But in a flashback of his own, Ian fooled Stan and the kids he looked after Stan very carefully and even fed him milk while he was a puppy.
He is a near insane scientist who wants to attempt to reveal Stan's secret and become rich. But Stan somehow managed to escape his grasp.
Ian is a scientist who does experiments. When he figured that Stan could talk, he tried various attempts to know how he does it so he can become famous. When he found out, he pose as a stereotype mad scientist, his near insanity is match by his obsession in finding out his secret.
He's intellect is matched by his deception as he would pose as a civilized man to hide his true nature. He once made the James-Jennings family believed that Stan is his dog and tried to take him back to his brothers and sisters, and claiming ownership of Stan's puppies, Gracie and Freddy, and returning them in exchange for Stan. This lead to the point that his obsession was making him desperate.
Still, his obsessive need to get Stan's secret can also lead to his defeat, even to his simple need to overlook things a bit.
- Early TV listings say that Ian is from Idaho, implying that this may have been a difference between the original script and the final cut.
- In Stan of the House, Stan mentioned he had many previous owners who tried to tell the world Stan could talk. Doctor Calloway was one of them as he attempted to do a science experiment on Stan to figure out what made him talk and become famous.
- In Stan's Old Owner, according to Ian, he came from Washington.
- Before knowing in Stan's Secret Is Out, Bennett and Ellen thought he was crazy. In Stan Has Puppies, his mother thought so too.
- In Stan Has Puppies, his Buddy Bop name is "Mad Scientist You'll-See-You'll-All-See", to which Stan didn't know he accepted his request.