Idina Kim Menzel is an American actress, voice actress, singer, and songwriter, who is best known for her role as Maureen Johnson in the Broadway musical, Rent (a role that she reprised for the 2005 feature film adaptation), Elphaba (the Wicked Witch of the West) in the Broadway musical, Wicked (for which she won a Tony Award), and Elizabeth Vaughan in the Broadway musical, If/Then. She also appeared as Shelby Corcoran in the Fox musical comedy-drama series Glee. She is the wife of actor and singer Aaron Lohr.
For Disney, she provided the voice of Elsa in the 2013 Disney animated feature film, Frozen, and has since reprised the role in most of the character's subsequent appearances, including the Disney Infinity series, the short, Frozen Fever, Olaf's Frozen Adventure, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Kingdom Hearts III, and Frozen II, among others. She also played Nancy Tremaine in the 2007 fantasy hybrid film, Enchanted, and voiced Circe in the Hercules: The Animated Series episode "Hercules and the Song of Circe". In addition, she appeared as a replacement actor in the role of Amneris in Broadway's production of Aida.
- She was considered for the role of the Witch in Into the Woods.
- Two of the characters she portrays (Elsa and The Wicked Witch of the West) have appeared on Once Upon a Time played by different actresses.
- She and Kristen Bell both auditioned to voice Rapunzel in the 2010 film, Tangled. While the role went to Mandy Moore, Menzel and Bell's auditions helped them land the main roles in Frozen a few years later.
- She covered the Pinocchio song "When You Wish Upon a Star" for the "I'm going to Disney World!" spots from 2014-2016 and on her Christmas album Holiday Wishes.
- Her last name was originally spelled "Mentzel", but she decided to take the "T" out because everyone pronounced it incorrectly.
|2014||Frozen||Elsa||Academy Award||Best Song||Won|
|2015||Frozen||Elsa||Grammy Award||Best Song Written for Visual Media||Won|
|2015||Frozen||Elsa||Grammy Award||Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media||Won|