Isla Tesoro is the setting of the original Pirates of the Caribbean attraction. A Spanish colony port town, it has been overrun by pirates of all sorts. Its name means "Treasure Isle" in Spanish.
In the 18th century, Isla Tesoro was under the administration of Magistrate Carlos. The main port was Puerto Dorado (meaning "Golden Harbour"), where it is presumed many of the inhabitants of Isla Tesoro lived. Puerto Dorado was at some point assaulted by a large group of pirates of the Wicked Wench who were responsible for numerous acts of violence and destruction; including taking groups of women hostage and selling them as "brides", torturing the magistrate, assaulting the villagers and setting the town itself ablaze.
Within Isla Tesoro is a hidden cavern known as "Dead Man's Cove", an area filled with cursed treasure.
Locations Within Puerto Dorado
- Castillo del Morro: A Spanish fort under attack by the Wicked Wench. Near the for is the home of a mayor being tortured by pirates. This area also included a prison where pirates attempt to retrieve keys from a guard dog while in their cells.
- La Cantina and Mercado: An area located in Puerto Dorado. It is the scene where the Auctioneer wanted a woman to marry him.
After guests pass through Dead Man's Grotto, they come across an ambush between a pirate captain attacking a Spanish fort. Their boats continue across the raided town where they witness pirates attacking their inhabitants as well as noticing some relaxing there. While passing through, they come across a group of pirates singing the theme song "Yo Ho (A Pirate's Life for Me)" just as their boats continue across the town, followed by the prison scene where the pirates are asking a Prison Dog giving them the keys to escape just as their boats ascend to their exit.
In the 2006 revamp of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, Jack Sparrow arrived on Isla Tesoro and attempted to learn the location of Puerto Dorado's treasury while being pursued by a pirate crew led by Captain Barbossa, who replaced the original captain of the Wicked Wench. In addition, some of the dialogues from the original attraction were modified to add mentions to characters from the film series.
- Isla Tesoro was supposed to appear in the video game Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned; however, since that game was canceled, it is unknown if the island's appearance in the game is considered canonical to the film series or not.
- Many elements seen in Isla Tesoro and Puerto Dorado are included in the Pirates of the Caribbean film series, particularly in the first film.
- In the "Virtual Safari" DVD game released included on Disc 2 of The Lion King 1½, the Puerto Dorado scene was parodied where the ride characters are all portrayed by Timon, Pumbaa, and the Hyenas during the scene where Timon, Pumbaa, Ma, and Uncle Max travel to the parody of the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction.