It's Tough to Be a Bird is a 1969 educational animated short made by Walt Disney Productions. It won the Academy Award for Best Short Subject, Cartoons in 1970 and was nominated for a BAFTA Award for Best Animated Film in 1971. It was animated by Eric Larson and Art Stevens.
In the short, M.C., a red bird, explains how birds have contributed to human culture, even as people often try to kill them. He claims this may be because humans were jealous that birds could fly, but people cannot, mentioning the legend of Icarus and films of early unsuccessful flying machines.
- Ruth Buzzi as Soprano
- Richard Bakalyan as M.C. Bird
- John Emerson as Bird Fancier
- Jim Swain as Bird Fancier
- Ann Lord as Bird Fancier
- Hank Schloss as Bird Fancier
- Walter Perkins as Bird Fancier
- Rolf Darbo as Bird Fancier